Donny Marshall | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Donny Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Donny was awful calling the game today.
My biggest issue is he seems to have narratives that he waits to spring on viewers while not providing true reactions to the game,

All game long about how UConn really never gets bad calls and just needs to drive to hoop more.

We get it Donny but you"re saying this as your watching Sonogo get elbowed out of position for the 3rd time in a row with no call.

Donnt just needs to call what he sees - this would improve his call of game greatly.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Yeah I mean he probably just shouldn’t call our games. In past years you could definitely hear his UConn love coming through. He’s in a tough spot. I’m sure he’s over correcting.

It’d be pretty unfortunate to have Austin Croshere call a game we had against providence and have him talk about the current players on their team being compared to him and his time at providence. Even if he didn’t, we’d still assume the bias.

Reaction Score
UConn has the least loyal fanbase in college basketball. It is actually turning on Donny Marshall.

My only complaint about Donny today was that he appeared to forget that Kalkbrenner was sick and missed some games, which is weird because I think Donny called some of the games Kalkbrenner missed.

I wouldn't call it turning on Donny.

It's just painful to listen to one of our UConn greats say analytical things that are just absolutely wrong and knowing that he's savvy enough to know that what he's saying is wrong...but he's doing it just to quash any "Donny is a homer announcer" concerns.

The most egregious yesterday was the whole "If you switch Sanogo and Kalk's statlines/performances, the game turns out the same" analysis.

Really???

You've played high-level basketball, done analysis for years, and you can say that in good faith?

That's why this thread exists.

Reaction Score
UConn has the least loyal fanbase in college basketball. It is actually turning on Donny Marshall.

My only complaint about Donny today was that he appeared to forget that Kalkbrenner was sick and missed some games, which is weird because I think Donny called some of the games Kalkbrenner missed.
Pfffft.

I loved Donny as a player but don't like him as an analyst. That's fine. We should demand excellence, as should Fox. I actually thought Donny addressed Kalk's illness and the other guy did at the 6 minute mark. Donny is always ready with the "but..."

Reaction Score
Pfffft.

I loved Donny as a player but don't like him as an analyst. That's fine. We should demand excellence, as should Fox. I actually thought Donny addressed Kalk's illness and the other guy did at the 6 minute mark. Donny is always ready with the "but..."

You get on that "We demand excellence" campaign and see how far that gets you with Fox.

Reaction Score
He used to call Celtics games with Tom Heinsohn. Maybe that's where the trouble began, as he was the biggest homer announcer around. I loved his style, but perhaps Donny was worried about coming off in a similar way.

Reaction Score
How many years is his contract , and when does it end?

Earlier in the year, we had Kim Adams broadcast a few of our games. I though she was fantastic and had a good knowledge of basketball and analyzed each play and even commented on what each player might anticipate as the game went on and what they should work on. She played for Penn and her mother is/was a coach.

Wherever she is, I would take her over Donny.

Reaction Score
How many years is his contract , and when does it end?

Earlier in the year, we had Kim Adams broadcast a few of our games. I though she was fantastic and had a good knowledge of basketball and analyzed each play and even commented on what each player might anticipate as the game went on and what they should work on. She played for Penn and her mother is/was a coach.

Wherever she is, I would take her over Donny.

Oh no please say you’re kidding? Kim Adams was basically clueless couldn’t believe we got stuck with here analyzing our game thought we were in the AAC again.

Donny is trying too hard not to be a homer and it does needs to stop.

How about that “goaltending” on Sanogo? He said it obviously hit the backboard first then the replay proved he hit it towards the backboard and pinned it. Didn’t say anything or back off of his opinion.

Overall he’s not bad but could talk a bit less.

Reaction Score
Forget about his biases, I just don’t think he calls good games. Doesn’t really add anything of substance or anything more than the most superficial of analysis.

Reaction Score
During games when we’re getting outplayed Donny won’t be popular no matter what he says. Let’s see, 4 years of Jim Calhoun, then NBA, Celtics and college hoop announcer. He knows a bit about basketball and says what he thinks in games trying not to go overboard for his old school. He’s earning a living, give him a break.

Reaction Score
Seeing the Sanogo block, then called a goaltend, we had a big fastbreak with AJax having the ball. In real time it looked like a block. No idea why it wasn't reviewed. For Donny to back up the bad call is not surprising. I have heard other announcers agree with lousy calls that anyone with eyes could see on the replay was wrong. They cover for the refs frequently.

Reaction Score
Seeing the Sanogo block, then called a goaltend, we had a big fastbreak with AJax having the ball. In real time it looked like a block. No idea why it wasn't reviewed. For Donny to back up the bad call is not surprising. I have heard other announcers agree with lousy calls that anyone with eyes could see on the replay was wrong. They cover for the refs frequently.
He even said it. “When I was playing, the refs were ALWAYS wrong.” I cannot remember the actual words said, but he basically said that now they are usually correct, and he won’t argue against what they call.

Reaction Score

No, it's Donny Marshall who is turning on UConn. I would be happy if he just stayed neutral when calling our games, but is so over-doing his attempt to appear neutral that he's pissing most of us off!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't want Donny to go anywhere, I just want consistency in his analysis

If he can't do that for UConn games, then have him do other games

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Oh no please say you’re kidding? Kim Adams was basically clueless couldn’t believe we got stuck with here analyzing our game thought we were in the AAC again.

Donny is trying too hard not to be a homer and it does needs to stop.

How about that “goaltending” on Sanogo? He said it obviously hit the backboard first then the replay proved he hit it towards the backboard and pinned it. Didn’t say anything or back off of his opinion.

Overall he’s not bad but could talk a bit less.

Y'all are wrong. It was absolutely a goaltend. Bang-bang play but he clearly pinned it right after it hit the backboard.

Reaction Score
Y'all are wrong. It was absolutely a goaltend. Bang-bang play but he clearly pinned it right after it hit the backboard.

Um no sorry you are wrong. It was obvious he hit it towards the backboard on the replay. Bang bang yes, goaltending no! Wrong call

Reaction Score
Um no sorry you are wrong. It was obvious he hit it towards the backboard on the replay. Bang bang yes, goaltending no! Wrong call
I just watched the replay about 30 times and I can't tell. I change my mind about every 10x I look at it.

Reaction Score
If donny called the games absolutely correctly, he would sound like a homer. It has been lopsided.

Reaction Score
I just watched the replay about 30 times and I can't tell. I change my mind about every 10x I look at it.

That's fine but I haven't changed my mind to me very obvious on the right angle his hand pushed the ball, as slightly as it may have been, towards the backboard. Honestly don't blame the refs because in real time almost impossible just saying having been able to slow it down I believe I'm right. But hey that's nothing new LOL.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the right call was, but what I do know is nothing "clearly" happened on that play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom