DONE DEAL Maryland to Big 10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DONE DEAL Maryland to Big 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
GTech is a total outlier. Don't see that happening. Maybe ND + UVA or UVA + UNC for 15th and 16th members down the road.

Reaction Score
UNC and duke will never part, VT will not bolt to the SEC and UVA is tied to VT.

The only conference left to grow is the b-12, who they will get is a mystery, not sure that fsu and clemson bolt.

Reaction Score
Every time we get close to a t.v. deal.....something happens.....

The tv deal is what drove this expansion, I understand that the NBE was close to a deal with NBC and ESPN. The big 10 did not want to concede the NY market to the BE.

Reaction Score
Expansion is strictly a money play for conferences. I don't see how GT would bring anything to the table other than good academics and OK athletics. They won't bring really help with expanding the TV market because UGA owns Atlanta and they don't fit the B10 mold of large puplic university. They are a poor man's Northwestern, but at least NW was always involved with the B10.

Same for UVA. Great school for sure, but what else? Is the B10 trying to pick up that "huge" Richmond TV market? MD was already gets the B10 network the Baltimore/DC market so UVA brings nothing to the table outside of good academics.

Reaction Score
There is now room in the ACC. Let see who they pick to fill it.

Before today, ACC had 14.5 teams for FB and 15 for all else
Now: ACC has 13.5 teams for FB and 14 for all else

The latter sounds like more of a nice round number than the former.

Reaction Score
MD was already gets the B10 network the Baltimore/DC market so UVA brings nothing to the table outside of good academics.

MD gives the B10 part of the DC market.
MD + VA gives the B10 almost all of the DC market. A much larger chunk of a large pie.

I'm not saying the B10 is going after UVa, but to say that it brings nothing to the table is not true.

Reaction Score
GT opens up the Atlanta market for the BTN. Its not necessarily about fannies in the seats but about eyeballs and carriage rights for the BTN. Atlanta is a large TV market and has plenty of BIG alumni. This isn't being done in a vacuum with us internet lopers making decisions on uninformed opinions. They have done their financial due diligence before all these decisions.

Reaction Score
This isn't being done in a vacuum with us internet lopers making decisions on uninformed opinions. They have done their financial due diligence before all these decisions.

Wow. Thank you for that stunning revelation.

Reaction Score
The Kardashians just tweeted that Houston, SMU, Memphis and Temple will replace GT, Clemson, FSU and Maryland. SDSU is a back up in case one of the teams say no.

Reaction Score
The Kardashians just tweeted that Houston, SMU, Memphis and Temple will replace GT, Clemson, FSU and Maryland. SDSU is a back up in case one of the teams say no.

The Kardashian are hos. I've been getting my info from the Real Housewives of Atlanta. (But both groups are more reliable than "a casual acquaintance of mine just told me he heard on Miami sports radio ... ".)

Reaction Score
RU fan here, I was very skeptical about all of this, but it seems a mere formality at this point. My first reaction was that you guys would get the ACC which is a step up from the Big East for sure. However, don't think conferences are stopping before 16 teams, I just think it will take time. I hope we sign a 10 year deal to play you guys each year because I love our rivalry.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-uconn-acc-1120-20121119,0,7311176.story

^ Yup, Rutgers announces the move tomorrow to the BIG Ten. Then Uconn joins ACC right after!!!!!

But the ig East has a 27 month waiting period, so RU and UC will not be able to leave the conference until 2015 unless we can work a deal like SU and Pitt to leave earlier.

Unless of course the BE just dissolves as a conference. If Rutgers goes to the B1G, UConn to the ACC, and Louisville to the B12...I think the BE just dissolves. Will Boise really come to the BE then? I have a feeling the basketball schools will say enough is enough and dissolve and form s power basketball conference. Unfortunately, Aresco may have been airlifted in by helicopter to save the Titanic 1 hour after it hit the iceberg...which is to bad. If the BE had Aresco 5 years ago, I think the ACC would have been the extinct conference now.

caw

Reaction Score
Before today, ACC had 14.5 teams for FB and 15 for all else
Now: ACC has 13.5 teams for FB and 14 for all else

The latter sounds like more of a nice round number than the former.

Why not take UL and UConn then? Bring it to 15.5 for football and 16 for all else? Makes everyone happy. UL brings some new market and football. UConn brings a bit more NYC and academics + strong women's and men's basketball comes with both.

Reaction Score
Why not take UL and UConn then? Bring it to 15.5 for football and 16 for all else? Makes everyone happy. UL brings some new market and football. UConn brings a bit more NYC and academics + strong women's and men's basketball comes with both.
Pitino would want Memphis and Temple to go with him. :D

Reaction Score
MD gives the B10 part of the DC market.
MD + VA gives the B10 almost all of the DC market. A much larger chunk of a large pie.

I'm not saying the B10 is going after UVa, but to say that it brings nothing to the table is not true.

UVA is nearly 3 hours from DC and a relatively small school compared to the other B10 schools. To say they would sure up the rest of the DC market is like saying UConn to the B10 would sure up the rest of NYC and Stamford, CT packaged with Rutgers. The residual market it would get with UVA makes no sense in regards to what the B10 would pay them out as a conference member. They would bring nothing to the table in sports other than a mediocre football and awesome lacrosse which is a nonfactor in the B10 or college sports revenue. MD being about 30 minutes outside of DC would lock up as much of that market as they need or are looking for.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The DC market is filled with transplants and passers-through where many don't give half a hoot about area college sports.

APA

Reaction Score
Nonsense. UConn academics, while better than 20 years ago, are nothing special. Also, academics has nothing to do with these moves. And women's basketball, are you nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom