Donald Brown is averaging 9 yards per carry this year | The Boneyard

Donald Brown is averaging 9 yards per carry this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The real question is how many carries is he averaging?

Reaction Score
I have zero doubt in my mind that Donald Brown can be a solid running back in the NFL. A 1,000 yard rusher. But man, oh man, he needs to improve his pass blocking. I think he has looked more impressive running the ball than Trent Richardson when given the opportunity.

We all remember Manning being picked up by the sound crew screaming at him while running for his life:

Reaction Score
I've watched that play a few times. What did Donald not do that Manning wanted him to do? Help the LT as the RDE blew around him? Run out to the left flat as a pass receiver? Kelp the RT and help keep the LDE inside the tackles? Run out to the right flat as a pass receiver? I'm not seeing it ...

Reaction Score
I've watched that play a few times. What did Donald not do that Manning wanted him to do? Help the LT as the RDE blew around him? Run out to the left flat as a pass receiver? Kelp the RT and help keep the LDE inside the tackles? Run out to the right flat as a pass receiver? I'm not seeing it ...

The first one.

Reaction Score

If I remember correctly, Manning said Brown picked up the guy as Manning had intended. It was moreso that he knew he was in trouble and DB was the only one who could have possibly helped with the guy chasing him.

Reaction Score

It was a strong side right, shotgun, single back set left, with a slot Y receiver weakside. The defense shifted a bit pre snap but ended up in a 3 man pass rush, nothing overly confusing. Donald shifted strong side on the snap and made the decision to help block the TE on the DE split wide strong side, while the LT was left 1-1, and the 3 interior linemen had ONE player to block - The NT and the RT was available to help on the DE.

The quick read on the LB's and the line, should have had Brown either staying home on theweakside (left) to help on the 1-1 block as a primary protection read, then releasing to the flat one way or the other as an outlet for the QB most likely to the left, as the two receivers on that side would have been able to block downfield. He had no reason to move strongside, and get in behind 4 linemen and a TE blocking two defenders, unless in the game planning and film study, it was decided that the DE-TE matchup was a mismatch and should have been a primary read for the back. Manning's response, pretty much confirms that was not the case.

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Manning said Brown picked up the guy as Manning had intended. It was moreso that he knew he was in trouble and DB was the only one who could have possibly helped with the guy chasing him.

If that statement was made publicly, it was a fabrication to save face.

Reaction Score
I love the Donald but isn't it like 27 yards on 3 carries?

Reaction Score
If that statement was made publicly, it was a fabrication to save face.

Well, it came from Peyton's mouth at some point. and he doesn't usually hesitate to hold people accountable publicly. I'm pretty sure according to Peyton it was more "GD it. Donald??" rather than "GD it, Donald!"

Reaction Score
Well, it came from Peyton's mouth at some point. and he doesn't usually hesitate to hold people accountable publicly. I'm pretty sure according to Peyton it was more "GD it. Donald??" rather than "GD it, Donald!"

Well, that would be the politically correct way to say in the media that your first round draft choice RB screwed up a basic pass protection read that led to the QB being sacked while yelling "Goddammit Donald" loud enough to be picked up by the television audio. The film doesn't lie. The colts had a back set up in the backfield, in perfect position to help block on a 1-1 iso for the LT on the RDE lined up on his outside shoulder, and and he made the decision to reinforce a 5 on 2 protection by moving away from the iso, and triple team blocking the LDE that was already double blocked by the TE and RT, while the RG,C,LG had a triple block on the single nose tackle, the LG was actually standing with no one to block as the C and RG had handled the NT. The LT got beat to the outside shoulder right to where Donald's primary pass protection read should have been, forcing the QB to roll out, and he had no outlet - because instead of releasing to give an outlet, his back had decided to help out on a 5-2 protection to make it 6-2.

No - Goddammit Donald - meant goddammit Donald - you effed up. It happens, rookie RBs make mistakes in pass protections. Especially RB's that didn't really learn much passing offense in college. He's much better at it now.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
I have zero doubt in my mind that Donald Brown can be a solid running back in the NFL. A 1,000 yard rusher. But man, oh man, he needs to improve his pass blocking. I think he has looked more impressive running the ball than Trent Richardson when given the opportunity.

We all remember Manning being picked up by the sound crew screaming at him while running for his life:

LOL Holy , I've never heard the actual audio to that clip before!!

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Bradshaw out. DBrown should have more touches. I think he will continue to have success running behind a FB. Past Indy teams had little interest in running the ball.

Reaction Score

Always love a poster that doesn't bother reading other people's posts because they are in such a rush to put their words out there for the world to see.

Try reading the post with the actual numbers.

Reaction Score

9k=

Reaction Score
Always love a poster that doesn't bother reading other people's posts because they are in such a rush to put their words out there for the world to see.

Try reading the post with the actual numbers.
image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc