Dominant Performance?? | The Boneyard

Dominant Performance??

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not a fluke. Defense gave up one TD.

Outgained them by about 130 yards.

Owned Time of Possession.

UConn controlled the line on both sides for a large majority of the game.

Reaction Score
I think the defense improvement is a great thing so far. Tackling is still an issue here and there but I have to assume they're learning things through the first few weeks.

Getting the crap beaten out of you stinks but at least with the defense I would think you can improve by reading and recognizing what other teams are doing while they're beating on you so it'll pay off when the teams get worse.

Offense I don't have the same opinion. I think offense can only learn against teams that are comparable in defensive skill... not Michigan or NC State. Who cares, we won.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with everyone, dominant on D. How many sacks did we have today? 6? And two picks at key points in the game to bail the offense out- reminiscent of the good ol’ days. I thought the O line looked very good and seemed to wear Fresno down by the end of the game. I gotta hand it to Zion, he kept battling and by the 4th quarter it seemed like a weight was lifting off his shoulders. What a great team effort all around. I’m damn proud of the fight in this team

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They failed to take advantage of our secondary and turned the ball over a ton. The front 7 was excellent and the tackling was there most of the game. The Mitchell blitz on third down was something we haven't seen in years. They played down, we didn't implode and made enough plays on O to win the game. Not a small feat considering. On to FIU whose lone win is against Bryant by 1 point.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You would never know by watching the game, but the quality of WR's blocking, route running, catching, and running with the ball, is what made the SU, UM and NC St games blowouts and tonight's game a V.

Reaction Score
They failed to take advantage of our secondary and turned the ball over a ton. The front 7 was excellent and the tackling was there most of the game. The Mitchell blitz on third down was something we haven't seen in years. They played down, we didn't implode and made enough plays on O to win the game. Not a small feat considering. On to FIU whose lone win is against Bryant by 1 point.
The secondary has stopped playing trail technique. We played a lot of dime in a zone. Amazing what happens when the defense secondary can see the ball.

Reaction Score

Hard to say that a 5-point win is dominant, but I get the point. Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it was dominant, but there was a ton of stuff to love: Second half Zion showed some promise, actually throwing the ball in the middle of the field (I've never been more excited than to see the two passes to Joly), the play by the defensive line.. most importantly the team wasn't just in the game.. but they won. This is the kind of win that carries forward into a very winnable game next weekend; one where it's entirely possible the Huskies don't just win, but win with a modicum of breathing room.

They'll be time to pick things apart because there was plenty of room for improvement: (Special Teams, big holes in the deep middle of the zone defensively, an offense that early in the game only seemed to move after bail-outs from foolish Fresno State penalties, the head-scratching PAT decision), but it's not that time yet.

Reaction Score
Special teams remains a big concern, however. Another tough day for them.
Yes. They almost tanked the game. But in fairness, they attacked at an exceptional level of aggression; They need to tamp things down to containment and they will be on point. They do fly down the field with an exceptional level of intent. Hopefully they will adjust and realize that containment is the optimum resolution.

Reaction Score

Dominant ???????? They definitely improved but far from dominant !

Reaction Score
Fresno helped us quite a it. A totally unforced fumble in the red zone. An interception in our territory. Even the last Fresno play that could have kept their last ditch drive alive was a dropped passed that would have given them a first down.

No question our defense played well. But the Fresno offense played very poorly, make many losing plays and we needed their help to win.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fresno helped us quite a it. A totally unforced fumble in the red zone. An interception in our territory. Even the last Fresno play that could have kept their last ditch drive alive was a dropped passed that would have given them a first down.

No question our defense played well. But the Fresno offense played very poorly, make many losing plays and we needed their help to win.

Well, UConn gave up an embarrassing punt return TD and blew a 2 pt conversion. Throw in some horrible passes in first half by Turner where the play call was right but execution was off (Similar to dropped by by Fresno on the 4th down play).

Miscues, especially between bad teams have a way of evening out.

Fresno's offense had one scoring drive all game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There is an argument for the defense...but special teams and offense? Not so much.

The offense was adequate and hopefully they can build on the 94 yard TD drive, but they only scored 19 points and far too many 3rd downs, let alone 3rd and longs.

Aside from the two field goals, special teams were near garbage. They gave up a TD by missing about a 1/2 tackles and caused them to kick off to the 30 yard line vs. kicking deep from then on out.

They have some pieces on which to build and it was better than to what fans have grown accustomed, but no. Not a dominant performance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dominant is a big stretch. The D clearly stepped up and was very solid. Much better pressure, good coverage. They were aided by a few key dropped balls and an inexperienced QB that wasn’t making plays. The O is still poor and but for the necessity of trying score in the waning minutes, Charlton still wasted 4 quarters running Edsall’s playbook. If anything that last drive should confirm, Charlton needs a vertical game and he needs to let guys make plays. Special teams needs serious work.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dominant is a big stretch. The D clearly stepped up and was very solid. Much better pressure, good coverage. They were aided by a few key dropped balls and an inexperienced QB that wasn’t making plays. The O is still poor and but for the necessity of trying score in the waning minutes, Charlton still wasted 4 quarters running Edsall’s playbook. If anything that last drive should confirm, Charlton needs a vertical game and he needs to let guys make plays. Special teams needs serious work.

I agree offense with inefficient and at time outright offensive. That being said, somehow they managed a +12 minute TOP advantage. And that wasn't done just by running the play clock down to zero on every play. Add in a 71 to 48 advantage in total offensive plays and even the offensive offense was far superior to Fresno's.

I used the word dominant and put a question mark next to it almost asking and insinuating at the same time that the score made the game look closer than it really was. You throw all the stats from the game in the computer and run that simulation a bunch of times and on almost all of them UConn wins by more than five.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom