Does UCF have a right to claim the National Championship? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does UCF have a right to claim the National Championship?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I got offered like 40 cents an hour to work 40 hrs/week during the semester as a UConn football manager. They thought the allure of changing out jock straps and getting screamed at by nutjob Diaco was too much to turn anyone away. I did not take the job

I sometimes wonder about the mentality of people who end up with those jobs.

It all seems kind of sad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh, I'm already on record here as saying that they should get a stipend quite like GAs get stipends. I can guarantee you that the athletes spend more time on their sport than my GAs spent teaching classes...

And I know that - but so many of the people crying about the cartel will also tell you that the players get a fair deal.

Reaction Score
UCF isn't better than any of the four teams in the playoff, but they're top 8, it'd be nice if they'd expand.
I guess you can say that and no one can prove you wrong. The playoff teams lost 4 total games. UCF beat the team that had 2 of those. Not saying that proves you're wrong, but sure says something.
What were Alabama's best wins this year. Pre bowl 9-3 Miss State and 9-3 LSU; former won tight bowl game against Louserville and LSU lost to ND, next highest rated win was against a 6-6 Florida State. Besides those 3 teams that Massey rates in the 20's the other wins were against #'s 46, 49,51,76,79,88,99,192. Didn't even get into league playoffs. Alabama's best 3 wins vs. Massey top 20's rated; UCF top 3 vs. Massey top 30's rated. If Alabama loses to Clemson, UCF has a better win than Alabama and a win over one of the teams that beat Alabama.
Rather than argue that UCF is better than any of the four teams in the playoff I'll say "after the bowl season games (especially if Alabama gets bitch slapped) are you sure all four teams in the playoffs are better than UCF". Before their game with Georgia, expect that most talking heads had Auburn in the CFP and saying that UCF was the better team would have gotten you quite a few laughs. UCF not only beat Auburn they outplayed them, and with a coach out the door rather than with a new contract.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
And I know that - but so many of the people crying about the cartel will also tell you that the players get a fair deal.

Well, the biggest part of the hypocrisy is when they actually make kids get rid of jobs or businesses that they already have in order to enter the NCAA. They want to be the exclusive pimp.

The best story was when Greg Anthony was told he either had to give up his shirt making business or his scholarship, and he said, "um... I'm good. Keep your scholarship money..."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can only beat who's on your schedule, and they beat them all. There's no excuse for an undefeated team to be left out of a playoff system. No excuse at all...

This makes no realistic sense

1. Did Western Michigan belong in the playoff last year?

2. This would just encourage teams to schedule cupcakes.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This makes no realistic sense

1. Did Western Michigan belong in the playoff last year?

2. This would just encourage teams to schedule cupcakes.

You cannot just play whoever you wish. You can't force Alabama to play you. Furthermore, you ABSOLUTELY cannot force your way into a P5 conference in order to obtain a P5 schedule. As UConn fans, we know that to be true.

The point of the playoffs is to see who the best team is on the field. There should NEVER be a moment in time whereby an undefeated team does not get a chance to play for the title. That doesn't happen in any other sport or in any other division of college athletics. It shouldn't happen in FBS either...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You cannot just play whoever you wish. You can't force Alabama to play you. Furthermore, you ABSOLUTELY cannot force your way into a P5 conference in order to obtain a P5 schedule. As UConn fans, we know that to be true.

The point of the playoffs is to see who the best team is on the field. There should NEVER be a moment in time whereby an undefeated team does not get a chance to play for the title. That doesn't happen in any other sport or in any other division of college athletics. It shouldn't happen in FBS either...

So Western Michigan should have been in the playoff and going forward everyone should schedule and FCS and 3 buy CUSA games?

That makes zero sense.

Reaction Score
If they expand the playoffs to 8 teams, you can be sure that the committee would find four p5 teams teams to fill the remaining spots.

This year it most likely would have been

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Auburn
Miami

UCF would have still been screwed.

No need to expand for the sake of helping out the p5. Screw them.

5 conferences, 1 independent and 4 slots. Let a bunch of programs be unhappy.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So Western Michigan should have been in the playoff and going forward everyone should schedule and FCS and 3 buy CUSA games?

That makes zero sense.

Yes. Any undefeated team should advance. In no other collegiate sport is an undefeated team told they cannot advance forward. None. Zero.

If the NCAA is truly concerned that one schedule is not consistent with a D1 team, then they should make another division and stop playing around. Drop your Troy and your UAB and your New Mexico State and your San Jose State. Choose the schools toy want to keep and the divisions you want to keep and then be done with this nonsense...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder about the mentality of people who end up with those jobs.

It all seems kind of sad.

There are perks. You get tons of free gear, travel to away games (would have gone to Provo in that year--kinda cool), and get all of your textbooks for free. If you want to get into a sports field, it would probably be helpful, but it wasn't worth it for me. I do regret not getting to see how insane the whole thing was behind the scenes. I was on the BY at this point and was worried I would never be able to keep my mouth shut and not post all the crazy stuff on here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are perks. You get tons of free gear, travel to away games (would have gone to Provo in that year--kinda cool), and get all of your textbooks for free. If you want to get into a sports field, it would probably be helpful, but it wasn't worth it for me. I do regret not getting to see how insane the whole thing was behind the scenes. I was on the BY at this point and was worried I would never be able to keep my mouth shut and not post all the crazy stuff on here.

Provo, Spain?

I don’t think that’s quite enough to take a job subservient to my classmates.

Many come off like Chief to me. Where someday you think AD is coming with the and there turn out to be no :(

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UCF isn't better than any of the four teams in the playoff, but they're top 8, it'd be nice if they'd expand.
Problem is, they wouldn’t have made the playoffs even at Top 8. They were ranked 12th I believe in the final poll. So outside of making it be conference winners plus best G5 get auto bids, there’s no way UCF would have even made the 8 team playoff. That, to me, is the biggest sham. I don’t think they deserved to be Top 4 but Top 8, I’d say so.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I have a right to claim the National Championship. Give me a few beers and I probably will end up doing so.

STAIRMASTER WANTS BAMA

Reaction Score

That makes zero sense.
It's friggin hard to go undefeated at any level, and anyone with an ounce of football sense could see UCF at least on the offensive side of the ball could stand toe to toe with any team in CFB. Defense was a question based on the Memphis game, but you always have a chance if you can put points on the board. Nobody is suggesting everyone schedule down, but then again, maybe they should so the system isn't a self perpetuating feedback loop.

Reaction Score
Not going to beat you up on this Pal as you get enough of that here. Just not sure of why you think the committee does not look that good after this win.
A great win for our conference but nothing that should stake a claim to the NC. That was not the NC game, just a good bowl. Any team not in a P5 conference and even some that are must play a monster schedule to be considered.
A new, improved CFB strength of schedule measurement
Disagree - Auburn beat two #1 teams, that are in the playoff, Alabama and Georgia. Auburn has the right to stake claim, especially because it's a rigged system. Alabama playing Georgia in the finals is the cartels worst nightmare.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom