Does UCF have a right to claim the National Championship? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does UCF have a right to claim the National Championship?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh there's no doubt that his employer was a major cause of this nonsense. I agree with you 100% on that. But at least he has the integrity to call the system out for what it is, despite his employer.

All he can do is speak out against it and hope that enough talk leads to something better...

He’s raging against the NCAA. He doesn’t have the stones to call out ESPN.

He’s got one note.

Reaction Score

He’s got one note.

So would you call out Tom? Who in their right mind would call out their boss?

Reaction Score
Let’s see, UCF beat the team that beat Alabama and did so without its head coach. I think they showed they at minimum deserved a shot. As I said before this isn’t a true National Championship Tourney. It is more like the pre-BCS bowl system. They invite teams they think will draw the biggest viewership. There was almost no chance Alabama would be lest out even though they didn’t even win their division never mind their league. UCF doesn’t bring a name so even if they had to take a 3 loss P5 team they would have ginned up some fake reason. Strength of schedule, UCF’s uniforms don’t look good on tv, you can’t have a quarterback named Milton, something.

Reaction Score
expand the playoffs.
Sorry but it’s not worth it. Because for every one year we have this issue, there will be 10 where we have to fit in 8 teams when 8 don’t really deserve to be there.

Reaction Score
Sorry but it’s not worth it. Because for every one year we have this issue, there will be 10 where we have to fit in 8 teams when 8 don’t really deserve to be there.

But who cares about the 9th best team?

There's a legit conversation right now as to whether UCF might be the 2nd or 3rd best team.

If UCF replaces USC as the #8, there's an easy retort to USC (which lost a few games, one of them horribly).

Reaction Score
Last 2 years there were only 2 that deserved it. Year before only 3. UCF might have deserved it another year too.

Reaction Score
But who cares about the 9th best team?

There's a legit conversation right now as to whether UCF might be the 2nd or 3rd best team.

If UCF replaces USC as the #8, there's an easy retort to USC (which lost a few games, one of them horribly).
This was a unique situation because the committee put UCF well out of contention for the playoff by keeping them out of the top 10.

With 4 teams, only 1-2 teams (plus UCF in this unique scenario) are disappointed. With 8, you have 4-6 teams that will be getting Jay Bilas Monmouth tweets every year

Last 2 years there were only 2 that deserved it. Year before only 3.
Exactly my point.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dan I know this has you upset and I always appreciate what you bring here so no spitting match, just a difference of opinion on this one. The argument of you can only beat who is on your schedule is silly as the schools schedule their out of conference games. It is heartwarming though to see how many people think a win over us this year was of so much value.
The question I have is why nobody mentions which team in the NC picture UCF should have replaced and made a valid argument on why.

No offense taken.

The problem with your assessment is that you are implying that you can play anyone you want. Well, that's false.

Not only is it difficult to schedule attractive matchups in the non-conference schedule, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to get those matchups at home.

Furthermore, the P5 conferences have gone so far as to deem certain G5 schools as "P5 worthy games". I don't have the list, but thankfully UConn was considered one of them (at least by the B1G). Ironically, UCF wasn't on that list...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

He’s got one note.

That's fair. It would certainly have a lot more zest if he directed it toward ESPN. It also would have meant his last tweet as an employee...

Reaction Score
This was a unique situation because the committee put UCF well out of contention for the playoff by keeping them out of the top 10.

With 4 teams, only 1-2 teams (plus UCF in this unique scenario) are disappointed. With 8, you have 4-6 teams that will be getting Jay Bilas Monmouth tweets every year

Exactly my point.
And it’s looking like Georgia didn’t deserve an invite this year. We’ll see

Reaction Score

Exactly my point.

But my point is, if you're 9th and have 2 or 3 losses, you can't cry about it.

UCF has a legit claim because they are undefeated.

Teams will always complain no matter what, but rarely do teams have a legit claim in college ball.

Reaction Score
But my point is, if you're 9th and have 2 or 3 losses, you can't cry about it.
In a world where we have 8 one-loss teams and the 9th has 2, you might have a point

Except some teams’ 2-3 losses will be (as they have been already) argued as being different from another team’s 1-2 losses.

When you double the population of acceptable candidates, you should expect at least double the subjectively judged-to-be “qualifying” applicants

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The holier than thou stances on the ‘cartel’ are hilarious.

If you are against the cartel are you also against Kevin Ollie making 3 million dollars and Jalen Adams getting usage of a scooter?

Do you think players should be able to transfer without penalty?

Do you think there shouldn’t be a half dozen SIDs working on press releases for the rowing team?

Should the students at say UConn who subsidize tens of millions of dollars get to use the Shenk?

Or is this just selective outrage where we ignore the logical next step as usual?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No offense taken.

The problem with your assessment is that you are implying that you can play anyone you want. Well, that's false.

Not only is it difficult to schedule attractive matchups in the non-conference schedule, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to get those matchups at home.

Furthermore, the P5 conferences have gone so far as to deem certain G5 schools as "P5 worthy games". I don't have the list, but thankfully UConn was considered one of them (at least by the B1G). Ironically, UCF wasn't on that list...

One thing you don’t have to do is when you do have a P5 schedule is not play the game because you don’t want to go on the road.

Reaction Score
In a world where we have 8 one-loss teams and the 9th has 2, you might have a point

Except some teams’ 2-3 losses will be (as they have been already) argues as being different from another team’s 1-2 losses.

When you double the population of acceptable candidates, you should expect at least double the subjective “qualifying” applicants

Since they moved to 12 game schedules over a decade ago, it's never happened that there are 8 one loss or less teams.

This is your point.

But, if you've lost 2 or 3 games, blame yourself for losing!

What we have now is ZERO and one loss teams not getting in.

That is much worse than 2 or 3 loss teams not getting in.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The holier than thou stances on the ‘cartel’ are hilarious.

If you are against the cartel are you also against Kevin Ollie making 3 million dollars and Jalen Adams getting usage of a scooter?

Do you think players should be able to transfer without penalty?

Do you think there shouldn’t be a half dozen SIDs working on press releases for the rowing team?

Should the students at say UConn who subsidize tens of millions of dollars get to use the Shenk?

Or is this just selective outrage where we ignore the logical next step as usual?

No, schools can pay what they want.
Yes, players should transfer without penalty.
What's an SID?
I'd be fine with students using the Shenk, just as they use the Freitas for free ice skating (or at least it was free a couple of years ago).

No selective outrage. I'm "generally outrageous"... ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, schools can pay what they want.
Yes, players should transfer without penalty.
What's an SID?
I'd be fine with students using the Shenk, just as they use the Freitas for free ice skating (or at least it was free a couple of years ago).

No selective outrage. I'm "generally outrageous"... ;)

Are you against the players getting paid was the point about Ollie’s salary.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
One thing you don’t have to do is when you do have a P5 schedule is not play the game because you don’t want to go on the road.

I know, I know. That game is going to always come up.

But let me ask you a question: does UCF get in if they play and win that game against GT?

The question is of course rhetorical, because there would still be 0.0% chance that they would have made the playoffs even if they had an extra win against "The Ramblin' Wreck"...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I got offered like 40 cents an hour to work 40 hrs/week during the semester as a UConn football manager. They thought the allure of changing out jock straps and getting screamed at by nutjob Diaco was too much to turn anyone away. I did not take the job

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know, I know. That game is going to always come up.

But let me ask you a question: does UCF get in if they play and win that game against GT?

The question is of course rhetorical, because there would still be 0.0% chance that they would have made the playoffs even if they had an extra win against "The Ramblin' Wreck"...

No of course not - but don’t cry no one will play you when you ducked the one team this season that would have played you.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Oh, I'm already on record here as saying that they should get a stipend quite like GAs get stipends. I can guarantee you that the athletes spend more time on their sport than my GAs spent teaching classes...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom