Does UCF have a right to claim the National Championship? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Does UCF have a right to claim the National Championship?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Noticeable which conference he left out...

How about this quote from Bowlsby:

"The depth of those leagues and the quality at the top, getting ready for one game against Auburn, that’s a lot different than playing Auburn every week. ... TCU, if TCU and UCF played 10 times, I defy anybody to convince me that UCF would win the majority of the games. Of course I’ve only been looking at it for 35 years.”

35 years...35 years watching this! And he chooses the one school in his league that started as a G5 team that couldn't possibly be beat by UCF lol.

Reaction Score
To be fair, the first statement is probably Subba and the second statement is probably me.

I think if you were to ask Subba, he would try to tell you that the schedules between UCF and Alabama were the same. I'm not going to do that because I don't believe that to be true...

No, Subba is making both arguments. You can’t point out how different WMU and UCF’s schedules are and ignore the difference between UCF and an SEC team.

Reaction Score

"The depth of those leagues and the quality at the top, getting ready for one game against Auburn, that’s a lot different than playing Auburn every week. ... TCU, if TCU and UCF played 10 times, I defy anybody to convince me that UCF would win the majority of the games. Of course I’ve only been looking at it for 35 years.”

35 years...35 years watching this! And he chooses the one school in his league that started as a G5 team that couldn't possibly be beat by UCF lol.
That stuck out to me too... Truly an odd example to choose.

Reaction Score
I wonder how many of these same posters were advocating a 24 win team from the MEAC should’ve gotten a bid over a 20 win Big East team back in the day. You guys probably cheered when an 18-12 team from the old Big East made the tourney at the expense of the little guy.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I wonder how many of these same posters were advocating a 24 win team from the MEAC should’ve gotten a bid over a 20 win Big East team back in the day. You guys probably cheered when an 18-12 team from the old Big East made the tourney at the expense of the little guy.
the basketball tournament and the football "playoff" are two completely separate entities and situations. Every conference is represented in the NCAA tournament. There is a path for every team. By NCAA tournament logic UCF would've actually been in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This whole conversation is about one thing and one thing only:

UConn isn’t in the cartel so the cartel is bad.

When UConn was in the Big East nobody here would give a damn when mid-major schools were getting hosed in seeding/location/entry into the NCAA.

UCF didn’t have a top 4 resume. They take 4 teams. They can’t control who will play them and they can’t control that the AAC East was MAC like - but there hasn’t been a legitimate argument made yet for them to be in the Top 4.
I don't think so. It's a little about optics and the transitive property of football, unbeaten UCF beat Auburn who beat two of the teams in the playoff. That feels like they deserved a shot.

Whaler the rankings argument essentially excludes G5 schools from the playoffs since P5's start with a bump up at the start of the season. Getting good P5 teams in a season that everything comes together for you is a near impossible hill to climb. If the P5 wants an exclusive club it should cut the BS and break off. The egalitarian meritocracy argument has been proven false.

The answer is a bigger playoff. All the arguments against that are BS.

Reaction Score

Same old tired and disingenuous logic. I've been watching for 35 years too. Can't stand dishonest scum bags. If he had an ounce of class or integrity, he would have said UCF is a great team and clearly we need to look at how we ensure great teams are included. If they played TCU 10 times, UCF wins 6 out of 10 at worst. The irony is they did not get a chance to play anyone even one time in playoff. Also, I want aware the standard was you must go undefeated against 10 top tier opponents...oh, what other teams when undefeated from the Big12.

Reaction Score
An undefeated team not being allowed to play for a championship??? Utter nonsense. F...

he bottom line is that nobody has yet to demonstrate that they can beat UCF on the field, and that's all that matters...

It’s not fair - but literally nothing about college sports is fair.

Those three quotes seem to sum up the thread. It's like Fahrenheit 451, real time. ESPN/FOX just spits out P5, and here we have a legitimate NCAA D1 school, a powerhouse , which is undefeated, and it goes under"media" (ie unnoticed)?

What a sham our society has come. Remember ND beat the status quo back in 1913. And now the public is directed to ignore UCF and all the other really good NCAA D1 programs (where UCONN is not one of them, just yet). Real sad. Seriously sad.

Jeff Bezos,or Google's new head, or Jamie Dimon, should offer a $100 million winner take all to sponsor a game for the winner of UCF and the so called national champ on Jan 15th. Stream it! i say again stream it. and the ncaa.

WAKE UP.

Hell, I'll pay $100 to see it on pay per view!

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Those three quotes seem to sum up the thread. It's like Fahrenheit 451, real time. ESPN/FOX just spits out P5, and here we have a legitimate NCAA D1 school, a powerhouse , which is undefeated, and it goes under"media" (ie unnoticed)?

What a sham our society has come. Remember ND beat the status quo back in 1913. And now the public is directed to ignore UCF and all the other really good NCAA D1 programs (where UCONN is not one of them, just yet) Real sad. Seriously sad.

Jeff Bezos,or Google's new head, or Jamie Dimon, should offer a $100 million winner take all to sponsor a game for the winner of UCF and the so called national champ on Jan 15th. Stream it! i say again stream it. and the ncaa.

WAKE UP.

See now this is a reasonable response.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Same old tired and disingenuous logic. I've been watching for 35 years too. Can't stand dishonest scum bags. If he had an ounce of class or integrity, he would have said UCF is a great team and clearly we need to look at how we ensure great teams are included. If they played TCU 10 times, UCF wins 6 out of 10 at worst. The irony is they did not get a chance to play anyone even one time in playoff. Also, I want aware the standard was you must go undefeated against 10 top tier opponents...oh, what other teams when undefeated from the Big12.
I've been watching college football since the early 1970's. That's 45+ years, which is longer than Bowlsby. Based on what I've seen, he's full of ----.

Reaction Score
Jeff Bezos...should offer a $100 million winner take all to sponsor a game for the winner of UCF and the so called National Champion
Be careful what you wish for. Without Scott Frost and staff —it could get ugly.
This isnt going to create parity for us; it's the beginning of crowning separate champions.
I wouldn’t dismiss this observation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UCF is officially claiming the national championship. They're getting a stadium banner and paying the coaches their national championship bonuses.

Good for them. Stick it in the eye of the P5.

Sweet.

Hold on -

A state school is paying employees who have ALREADY QUIT bonuses that didn't contractually earn?

Hope Danny has a slush fund he's paying that out of. I know it's Florida, but they must have some laws?

Reaction Score
The AP is even giving this some exposure.

UCF getting recognition worthy of national champions

Big 10 fans willl probably happily recognize it (already being mentioned on Scott Frost's Wiki page), and it seems many college football fans elsewhere welcome fresh blood. Kind of like how NFL fans react to the Patriots these days.

Who ever imagined something like this would happen in the AAC. I guess this "P6" stuff looks legit now. Aresco might have pulled off a genius marketing coup.

Reaction Score
2008 Utah Utes football team - Wikipedia

The 2008 Utah Utes are claiming a national championship.

The 2004 Auburn Tigers also claims a title, as well, using a vacated USC title as more reason to claim it.

2004 Auburn Tigers football team - Wikipedia

The gold football in my avatar represents an unclaimed championship for 1908 Harvard. They actually don't care to claim it. They have other priorities. Their fans might care.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have done everything to make the claim. The committee doesn't look that good right now.

UCF's AD, Danny White will pay coaches National Championship bonus's (325,000) as per contract and will hang NC banner!

UCF to pay 'national championship' bonuses to coaches and staff totaling $325,000

"We’re definitely getting a banner,” he said on 96.9 The Game in Orlando. “We won a national championship and we’re going to treat it as such. These kids deserve that. Like other football programs do all across the country, you claim a national championship, you’re the only undefeated team in a season, we’re going to hang a banner."

Last edited:

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UCF, even at 13-0, never had a shot at college football playoffs, and it’s a travesty

"The travesty of college football is that a very good team was denied the opportunity to prove how good it was. UCF finished the season undefeated, untied and unquestioned. It went 13-0 and beat Auburn in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

The Knights scored more points than Auburn had given up all season, and won 34-27.

The way the bowl system is set up, a team such as UCF will never have an opportunity to play for the title. In college football, there is no school such as Davidson. There is no Stephen Curry led team charging into the NCAA tournament and beating Georgetown and Wisconsin and almost, almost, almost beating Kansas.

Runs such as Davidson’s are what lift the basketball tournament. Along with good basketball, the Wildcats offered joy. Unless we were a fan of Georgetown or Wisconsin, we all shared in it.

I would like to have seen the Knights attempt to run though one of the chosen teams from a chosen conference."

Reaction Score

I've always argued in favor of the 28-3 little guy to get in over the 18-12 power conference team with the 8-10 conference record.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom