Does this mean | The Boneyard

Does this mean

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Happy Holidays Zorro, I sure miss Rio Dulce and environs....
Sailing a beach cat at Spanish Wells Bahamas, these days.

To answer your question.

I'm still a little worried about coach, doesn't always seem on top of things, intensity sporadic; made some good moves today for sure.

Looks disengaged other times...still no complete explanation for the team's collapse earlier in the week.

So sure, he can keep his job, but I hope he's well.

M

Reaction Score
Geno,

B4E651C9-347B-4A5E-9849-8CECC6CA2E9A.gif

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hey Z. What’s shakin?
Boy are fans probably going to be in for a fall when GA retires. Due largely to him and UConn’s crazy success, the competition and overall player skill level will likely never produce such a dynasty again.

Oddly (going home to CT tomorrow) I’ve been in Los Angeles all week visiting my son and family and they live a pretty short walk to the UCLA campus. John Wooden so popularized the men’s game with burgeoning help of TV that no program over 60 years now has come close to their domination (putting aside the unprovable idea that they would’ve had problems under the current tournament format). Gene Bartow took his place but despite decent records he was canned after not too many seasons. It’s hard to follow a legend. While I don’t think she is great shakes, Holly Warlick was in a tough spot as was Kevin Ollie at UConn succeeding Calhoun , although he had other issues and did win an NC.

Reaction Score
that y'all are going to let Geno keep his job for another week or two?
no coach should be saying that his team will not get better at game 7 of the year after one practice without all world PB and missing 3 other top 8-9 players. that is what I was talking about.

I don't think anybody thought GA should be terminated, but he can be a little less 'realistic' in his absurd comment.

A couple days later and the team was loads better, but yet GA said that they wouldn't get better ALL season. I never heard or seen a coach be more 'realistic' and wrong about his own team. That is THE point, not that he should be terminated. GA deserves criticism like anybody other coach for saying this.

He is still a good coach, maybe not quite the 'God-like' figure some make him out to be and he has certainly not out-coached many in the last numerous years. His coaching is not so 'God-like' that he can coach his team to victory when they have lesser players. He actually loses his share when his team is favored to win and arguably a much better team.

Reaction Score
Shea Ralph should be the next UConn coach.
If she is successful at Vanderbilt why would she leave a P5 coaching gig where she can create her own legacy. Her coaching success would always be compared to Geno’s if she returned to UConn, which is a no win proposition. You never want to be the coach that follows a legend. In addition, why would she want to leave the SEC for the big East? Especially, since the disparity in $$$ and talent is only going to grow wider between the haves (the power conferences) and the have nots (non-power conferences.

Obviously, it will be her decision to make, but I just don’t see it happening. From a business perspective it just seems like it would be a backwards move imo.

Reaction Score
Geno could poop in the middle of the court and he would not get fired He is as safe as a coach oculd get. However, he might just quit if he does not think his way of coaching is no longer effective to the level of his own standards. Wooden just a few years after he retired, stated that he did not think he could coach the type of players that were coming into the colleger programs at that point in time. As I alreadys stated in another thread, I do not believe Geno's system is outdated, rather the game has regressed to the point where it no longer values the same principles.

I stongly suspected that Geno considered retirement a few years ago based on his retoric, and I think it might be to that point again. But then what do I know. Just pure speculation.

Reaction Score
Not that I'm an expert in this, but I think Geno set a very high standard year after year on how to run a women's basketball team and win championships. That's why he's in the Hall of Fame. That's why he's a legend. That's why he's still getting top ranked recruits. That's why so many on this blog still stand fiercely with him.

But now, as others have pointed out, astute teams have adjusted. They've caught up. That, to my mind, explains the abject despair he showed after the Georgia Tech game. He's lost--and that can be blamed on everything from social media and players' abbreviated attention spans to the new ease of transferring to the bounty from NIL or Covid. Whatever the case, it's up to Geno to adjust again and find an edge.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, you mean nothing has changed?
Good one and you are right about a certain percentage of fan, whether it be football fans questioning the quarterback going for the short up the middle and ignoring the open WR or a coach going for an intentional walk to suffer a walk off game winner from the .230 hitter up next. Second guessing seems to be a major pass time of sports fans. Geno has been relatively immune up to now, but some now seem emboldened to take a swipe at him. I'm not among them. I suspect some things people criticise him for are cultural or personality changes among the young pool of players as the decades have gone by. He has said that he and Chris have noted it is harder and harder for them to find players they want to recruit. This may be afoot within the team.

Enough. This may be the longest message I've written in the 21st century. Gotta take a nap.

Reaction Score
I have a great idea!
Let's wait and see how the team performs through the rest of the season. And hopefully in the NCAA tourney.
Then, we can decide if we want Geno back.
Unless we can collectively determine that his continued leadership will cause immediate and irreparable harm.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I stongly suspected that Geno considered retirement a few years ago based on his retoric, and I think it might be to that point again. But then what do I know. Just pure speculation.
Geno has the opportunity to create coach to “generational players” in Bueckers and Fludd, however, do you think he will retire instead. OK then.

Reaction Score
I have been watching the Connecticut Bball teams since the early
1960's, and of course got on the bandwagon in 1990 when Calhoun and Geno
started to become national recognized coaches. Of course, things have changed,
and with the proliferation of more talented players all over the country, and world, the basketball
played by both UC teams has had its share of great ups, almost-theres, and downs.
Geno does things to reach his kids- through interviews, press conferences, and of course during practices. but at the end of the day, he always has his kids' back. He is sometimes feisty, and maybe too frank
or incisive for some thin skins, but... he is almost always telling the truth. We don't know
what he says to players individually or collectively, but his conversations are always about getting the team ready for March. When March comes, it is too late for big adjustments, unless the ceiling collapses.
But we all must wait and see how this team, and these young players, adapt to college life,
while trying to become better persons and hopefully, better players. That is what athletics ultimately is
all about.
Go Huskies, and Play well and Have Fun.

Drumex
An old man who still plays the drums...
this is my once a year post.

Reaction Score
Geno could poop in the middle of the court and he would not get fired He is as safe as a coach oculd get. However, he might just quit if he does not think his way of coaching is no longer effective to the level of his own standards. Wooden just a few years after he retired, stated that he did not think he could coach the type of players that were coming into the colleger programs at that point in time. As I alreadys stated in another thread, I do not believe Geno's system is outdated, rather the game has regressed to the point where it no longer values the same principles.

IMHO-Geno will not retire anywhere but on top.
After all of these years, starting at the bottom and working his program to the tippy tippy top of the of the stack- he ain’t giving up without finishing at WBB’s zenith.
Time is winding down (and not just for him), but I think he still has another multiple championship run in him.
I believe that is the way he wants to close it out.
Then, there will be no more mountains to climb.
Then there will be no denying,
EVER.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom