Does Shooting Good mean Playing Well | The Boneyard

Does Shooting Good mean Playing Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice quote by Auriemma in today's Courant:

"It's harder and harder to get kids to understand that shooting the ball well doesn't necessarily indicate how well you play, just like not shooting well can have nothing to do with how well you played. The world these kids live in is all about points and recognition. So when it [scoring] doesn't happen, they get goofy in the head and it affects their ability to do other things.

We sometimes overlook that this applies to men's BB also.

Reaction Score

"It's harder and harder to get kids to understand that shooting the ball well doesn't necessarily indicate how well you play, just like not shooting well can have nothing to do with how well you played. The world these kids live in is all about points and recognition. So when it [scoring] doesn't happen, they get goofy in the head and it affects their ability to do other things.

The funny thing is there's not enough good shooters anymore in mens basketball so they are somewhat different in a sense. I am it's easy for the women to get open looks let's be honest. there teams don't have the athletes to guard them and multiple people are going to ge open with the likes of Stewie and Tuck down low. Having said that the women are full of solid open shooters and shoot well, not just at UConn either. But in the men's game they rely so much on being able to get in the lane and to the hoop they forget how important it is to be able to shoot from 15-22 feet.

But it's still a very true statement.

Reaction Score
Good shooting hide a lot of warts. If we were a good shooting team with this D we'd be very top 10
. Geno's comments are funny since most of his players sacrifice and would have a lot more points and maybe more personal recognition if they were on a different team. Could you imagine Stewie if she was on a team that really need her to score.

Reaction Score
Good shooting hide a lot of warts. If we were a good shooting team with this D we'd be very top 10
. Geno's comments are funny since most of his players sacrifice and would have a lot more points and maybe more personal recognition if they were on a different team. Could you imagine Stewie if she was on a team that really need her to score.

So true,I was looking at a thread on the womens board in which they were discussing the best women's player and obviously for them it's not easy. But as far as basketball goes it's down to 2 - Stewie and Diana and I think due to size, ability to dominate in so many ways without weakness Stewie takes it by the slimest of margins. But the fact they have Maya Moore in the discussion shows you scoring means everything to them. She's not close to the overall player of either, although a GREAT one herself and not too far behind.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Statement was made in reference to Kia Nurse who has been in a terrible shooting slump but has been fundamentally sound in every other aspect of her game which is the reason why she starts and gets a lot of minutes in spite of the slump. She was visibly upset after a recent game that she played extremely well except for a 1-9 shooting performance.

This could be said about DHam (minus the outward demo of being upset).

It's not just players who might place too much emphasis on shooting well versus other fundamentals in the game that fans frequently overlook.

Reaction Score
Shooting may run hot or cold, but executing on offense doesn't. Strange quote because shooting and scoring aren't synonymous . Let it be clear , uconn isn't just "missing shots" they are falling short in many categories like spacing , cutting , and passing. And probably most of all elite individual offensive talent (read NBA player).

Just hope this doesn't turn into one of those "ahh if only the men could shoot and pass like the women do!" threads. Unfair to both sides

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

He's obviously talking about how when you are shooting well, you are going hard after rebounds, defending one on one, running the court at full speed, moving quickly to the right spots on the court, etc etc. Doing all the things required of a player to play good basketball. When kids aren't scoring, they think they are playing bad, and it's affecting their effort/concentration for the other aspects of the game.

This is what I respect about Dham. He's been (or was) in a massive shooting slump, but he was still hitting the boards hard, getting assists, and playing harder D (and with more concentration) than I've ever seen out of him.* Hopefully, it'll turn him into a beast for the stretch run. His line the other night shows that might be the case: 16pt (7-15), 13rbd, 8ast, 2to.

*Which makes it all the more funny when people say he's lackadaisical or has no heart/motor.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Question for some of the grammar people here.

I have trouble remembering the difference between good and well. (or sometimes good and evil, but that's a different matter).

Should this read "shooting well means playing well?" or "shooting well means playing good?" or shooting good means playing good?"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I have trouble remembering the difference between good and well. (or sometimes good and evil, but that's a different matter).

Should this read "shooting well means playing well?" or "shooting well means playing good?" or shooting good means playing good?"

All are correct in this day and age I'd guess. The first would be the most grammatically correct and the most formal. I personally would use the third, as it sounds more colloquial/conversational, and sort of like a idiom. I'd never use the 2nd, as it sounds a bit 'off'.

Reaction Score

It should be "shooting well means playing well". Very good, born in Ansonia!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom