Does anyone miss Diaco? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does anyone miss Diaco?

Reaction Score
Let me play devils advocate here- BD’s recruits who were brought in went and played at other schools (Hahn @ Monmouth, Herring-Wilson @ AK State, D Williams @Elon, DeGeorge @ Louisville, Garson @ Duquesne), to name a few, are all contributing to teams that would beat UConn at the current moment.

How bare was the cupboard? What was the rush to get RE’s recruits on the field?

It’s time to ask this question.
Is this a joke? None of the transfers from UConn made major contributions to any FBS program, except DeGeorge. And, so far, only 2 Diaco recruits, Peart and Tyler Davis, has been drafted. Davis was recruited as a QB, but was drafted as a TE. The cupboard was bare when Edsall arrived.

And, if you couldn't see how slow UConn was during the Diaco years, I don't know what to say.

Reaction Score
Here's the flaw in your assessment. PP couldn't win six games with PP's players.

Actually, it was even worse than that. If you go back to P's first season he inherited an NFL defense. His first two seasons probably had the best defenses UCONN ever had and probably some of the best in the Big East and AAC.

Then he had Deleone dialing up plays to get our QBs wide out as receivers and other such s.........

Reaction Score
Whenever his name comes up I wonder why he never really had another opportunity (other than his other interim HC gig @ USF when Taggart left). Always hitching his cart to the wrong horse/wrong place/wrong time or something else?
I was at the BC game when, early in the game with the score 0-0, we had the ball on the BC18 4th and goal. I was right on the goal line when I watched that attempt at a fake field goal. Everyone, including BC fans, were stunned. In what world does someone make that call?

To answer your question, I think I know exactly why no one has ever or will ever offer him another HC gig. I think when he's under the gun he simply can't perform. That and the fact that he recruited a hell of a basketball team as head coach for UCONN's football team.
I was talking about Weist - not Diaco - w/ that comment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Actually, it was even worse than that. If you go back to P's first season he inherited an NFL defense. His first two seasons probably had the best defenses UCONN ever had and probably some of the best in the Big East and AAC.
Not making a bowl game his first year killed the momentum more than anything Diaco did. And you're right about that defense, that's what gave him the undeserved third year after they beat Teddy Bridgewater despite what was it, seven or eight three and outs by the offense.

Reaction Score
I'm not off the Edsall train yet. I can chock last week up to extreme temperatures, being off for 2 years and abysmal play calling and qb play. I've said it on another thread, this week against Holy Cross will be out litmus test. It's a team, playing at our level, we should beat handedly. If we look as bad as we did on offense as we did against Fresno, Guifre needs to go and Jack Zergiotis needs to be benched. IMO, Edsall gets til the end of the year, but something needs to change offensively.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Looking back, we made a mistake letting him go. His first season we went 2-10 but lost a lot of close games. His second season we went to a bowl game and beat an undefeated ranked Houston. His third season, we went 3-9 but lost three or four close games.

We were competitive under Diaco. Not good, but competitive. Randy 2.0 is neither.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This is what I wonder about Edsall’s “we run the ball to control the time of possession” or whatever comments. If that is truly your goal, how did you not pick up some grad transfers for the o-line? You’re not going to do that with sophomores and freshmen

Reaction Score
Looking back, we made a mistake letting him go. His first season we went 2-10 but lost a lot of close games. His second season we went to a bowl game and beat an undefeated ranked Houston. His third season, we went 3-9 but lost three or four close games.

We were competitive under Diaco. Not good, but competitive. Randy 2.0 is neither.
IF that were the case, why has he failed at literally every job he's had since UConn? He's living off of one great season which his defense got absolutely scorched by Alabama. His system works as long as they don't play teams that have speed AND size.

Reaction Score
There were two major flaws with hiring Diaco:

First, he simply wasn't ready to run a program and manage a game. That's not to say he couldn't have gotten there, but he was a long way from ready. The way he spoke led be to wonder if he was even capably or learning. It gave all the indications of someone who believes their own BS.

Second, he was hopeless with recruiting. As time went on we simply got slower and slower. We were this big lumbering team trying to play in the AAC against teams that went 900 mph.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There were two major flaws with hiring Diaco:

First, he simply wasn't ready to run a program and manage a game. That's not to say he couldn't have gotten there, but he was a long way from ready. The way he spoke led be to wonder if he was even capably or learning. It gave all the indications of someone who believes their own BS.

Second, he was hopeless with recruiting. As time went on we simply got slower and slower. We were this big lumbering team trying to play in the AAC against teams that went 900 mph.
Very true. He was trying to play Midwest football in a southern league

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Had a good chuckle reminiscing about this wacko. Don't put the fish oil in the "vanella" cake.

Reaction Score
I'm not off the Edsall train yet. I can chock last week up to extreme temperatures, being off for 2 years and abysmal play calling and qb play. I've said it on another thread, this week against Holy Cross will be out litmus test. It's a team, playing at our level, we should beat handedly. If we look as bad as we did on offense as we did against Fresno, Guifre needs to go and Jack Zergiotis needs to be benched. IMO, Edsall gets til the end of the year, but something needs to change offensively.
I've condensed this post down to the most important parts:

"Holy Cross will be our litmus test. Something needs to change."

If we are seeing how we stack up against an FCS opponent, our coach should be fired straight into the sun.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
At least when we sucked there was at least some entertainment. We at least scored maybe 21 pts.
only if you miss having a boil on your butt

Reaction Score
This team is awful, no question. But you think Monmouth, Elon, and Duquesne would beat them? Diaco brought in FCS talent and the transfers went to FCS teams like their talent dictated.
Want to debate this again? :)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Had a good chuckle reminiscing about this wacko. Don't put the fish oil in the "vanella" cake.

You can laugh but these were mostly close games against solid opponents.

Reaction Score
I would rather have Diaco and that dumb ass civil conflict trophy over this dumpster fire with clown ass Edsall.

That being said, we're gonna need a new coach soon and I don't want Diaco back.

Just hire the Buffalo or Northen Iowa guys, anybody, please.

Reaction Score
5 more years of diaco couldn't have been worse then this. We did make a bowl game and beat a top 12 team. My only good memory this past decade is storming the field against Houston. What we have now is simply embarrassing

Reaction Score
To the original question no I would never want Diaco back. I sat and watched as we some somehow recovered from a punch in the mouth by Navy and were set to win at their house and he completely blew the game with his decisions. He was never fit to be a head coach. Edsall's complete fiasco the last 4 years is on the administration and athletic director. It is completely inexcusable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom