Does anyone miss CPTV? | The Boneyard

Does anyone miss CPTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both shows were great last night on SNY, very professional.

Reaction Score
I'll let you know after I get to see something to compare. A game or two would be nice....:)

Reaction Score
I have to say that I totally agree that SNY did a great job, and I was prepared to not like them on principle. I am looking forward to seeing Sunday's game coverage.

Reaction Score
Agree. I assume the game broadcasts will be equally top quality. Plus, the commercials while always annoying are at least a little varied unlike the fund raising pitches on CPTV.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'll reserve judgement until after the season starts. Based on other programs I've watched on SNY

OTOH I hope you're not taking a shot at CPTV. They provided unprecedented coverage of women's basketball at a time when nobody else would take the chance and they deserve kudos for that.

How fortunate for we fans that CPTV took a chance on Husky basketball.

Reaction Score
They put on very enjoyable, professional show. I loved the first show as they had so many different segments that kept me interested. I now understand Geno's comment about CPTV taking us to a certain level and SNY moving us to a higher level. They are using some good on air talent and definitly giving UConn women's basketball it's due. I am so thankful to all the wonderful years of CPTV but what I saw last night was a top notch, tight, fast moving show. I loved it.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
It was just that not quite perfect coverage of CPTV that I loved...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agree. I assume the game broadcasts will be equally top quality. Plus, the commercials while always annoying are at least a little varied unlike the fund raising pitches on CPTV.
On the other hand I can DVR and FF through either commercials or pledge drives. :cool:

Reaction Score
Yes, I miss CPTV. I could actually watch the programming (as part of my basic cable service), while after having paid SNY $60 for the privilege, I got to see nothing last night. So I'm glad those in the SNY service area are getting quality programming, but I just want to be able to see what I thought my money bought. And giving customers what they paid for is also part of "professional presentation" too, isn't it?

(Yes, I know I've commented about this in multiple threads, but right now there is exactly zero evidence that I'll be able to see any UConn wbb through SNY at all this year. And that just kills me.)

Reaction Score
Agreed - I miss CPTV too, because as someone who lives outside CT and doesn't have cable, I rely on streaming services to see my Huskies. And I haven't seen anything yet. CPTV would have streamed last night's shows. CPTV streamed the Geno Show. As far as I can tell, all SNY is going to stream is the games. And I can't even figure out how to access my paid subscription to even see the games.

CPTV so far had a much better value product for $60 than SNY does. But I hope to be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
Let's see:

left hand right hand
Jerry Franklin No customer service
Jerry Franklin No customer service

I'm just not sure yet, since we streaming subscribers have yet to see actual video product. Maybe we'll be able to judge if/when the College of Charleston game is viewed -- live, we hope.

Reaction Score
I just miss my team. I can't wait for the first game, no matter who broadcasts it.

Reaction Score
I think we should wait to see a few games on SNY, but I do like the fact that they will have a half hour pregame show and a half hour post-game show...it was aggravating to sit through 25 minutes of begging before showing a 1-2 minute interview

Reaction Score
I'll reserve judgement until after the season starts. Based on other programs I've watched on SNY

OTOH I hope you're not taking a shot at CPTV. They provided unprecedented coverage of women's basketball at a time when nobody else would take the chance and they deserve kudos for that.

How fortunate for we fans that CPTV took a chance on Husky basketball.

I sorry but CPTV isn't the altruistic entity you would portray. They saw an opportunity to pitch their product and line their coffers in a state that is entertainment impoverished, and made big bucks doing so! Why else would they have tried so hard for a contract renewal? At least on a network at half time we have the opportunity of listening to commentary and not the pleadings of Mr. Franklin!!!!!

Reaction Score
I will miss CPTV. It's easy to overlook all they have done for UConn, and those of us who cannot attend games. Some may complain about the pledge segments, CPTV like any business needs to generate dollars to survive. So, it's either a commercial break, or Lee Newton waving a stuffed Husky. Small price to pay for broadcasts. Plus, I am not sure of the records, I doubt CPTV broadcast 12 losses in all those years. They were good luck. Thank you CPTV, and Harriet for posting Husky special programming info on the BY for us.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
What they need is a Harriet like figure who will check in to the 'Yard from time to time. That's what I miss.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Harriet was also somebody you could e-mail if you had a question about coverage and you could always bank on getting a response.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
CPTV did a lot for UConn Women's basketball but UConn Women's basketball definitely did more for them. It is safe to say that CPTV will miss the fan bases $$$ a lot more than the fan base will miss them. Simple fact is the fan base has a replacement for CPTV and CPTV does not have a replacement for them.

Reaction Score
Personally... I thought that SNY's coverage up to this point has been beyond excellent. CPTV, thanks for all you did in the past BUT.... there were two one-hour long specials on SNY where they actually had read material to report. I learned more about the team, about Geno and his staff, and the sort and it was less time of Meghan trying to talk her way out of a paper bag. It looked professional instead of something that was thrown together. I know Meg is part of SNY now... and what I saw she seems more focused and more like a journalist. Tomorrow is the first game.... that will tell volumes. Do the announcers say the same three or four things over and over again, or just have pointless banter like Meghan and Bob have, or will it more more professional with details, and new things as the game goes on..... that is what we need to wait and see

Reaction Score
I appreciate all that CPTV did for UCONN basketball but I feel they were the real beneficiaries . I understand the sentiment but this about the money and exposure, SNY will take us to a level that CPTV never could. I for one am looking forward to a "beggingless" basketball season, I'll also be saving $100 by not having to send in my "guilt" pledge.

Reaction Score

Yes! I don't get SNY, so this is the first year I won't be able to watch any of the games. But I'll be listening to them on WTIC.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I sorry but CPTV isn't the altruistic entity you would portray. They saw an opportunity to pitch their product and line their coffers in a state that is entertainment impoverished, and made big bucks doing so! Why else would they have tried so hard for a contract renewal? At least on a network at half time we have the opportunity of listening to commentary and not the pleadings of Mr. Franklin!!!!!

I missed where anyone called them altruistic. The statement by vtcwbuff contains facts which I believe are correct, and an opinion I share.

Reaction Score
I missed where anyone called them altruistic. The statement by vtcwbuff contains facts which I believe are correct, and an opinion I share.
It was an implied comment, stating that they took a chance to "offer" the games to CT. residents. When you offer something it implies an altruistic act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom