OT: - Do we need a guide to Boneyard Mojo? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Do we need a guide to Boneyard Mojo?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yes, with a single caveat. Where the mojo is a collective exercise, such as the Haiku thread, either do it right or stay away. Else you suffer the wrath of @Hans Sprungfeld Likewise the U C O N N thread. Get it right or avoid.

Thank god I never drank that swill from Latrobe during any prior Championship run, so for me, the mojo requires the absence of Rolling Rock.
Sincere curiosity: have you ever read the haiku I write to take note of entries that run counter to the 5-7-5 convention?

Where sincere attempts fail, it is mostly through the dreaded "careless error" that docked us points on primary & secondary school math tests. Elsewise, it is a function somewhat never having absorbed that haiku takes the 3-line 5-7-5 syllable count form. Both of those groups occasion a custom-created haiku designed to coach toward competence and encourage future performance. In some cases, it prompts for immediate attention if the limited editing window is open and a quick correction can be made. NONE are wrathful or intended to scold. More likely, they have a picayune & pedantic edge skin to this response. People in your profession generally appreciate where accuracy and thoroughness are seen positively.

As to those whose haiku seems intentionally, mischievously, or disruptive let wrong, I take greater liberties in my tone, but seek for whatever is offensive in n my tone to nonetheless remain arguably less offensive than the matter it addresses.

The final category is content within a post that is either in part or as a whole prose and not haiku poetry. That could include the following examples:

"Yeah no, I don't do the haiku."

"How can I stream tomorrow's game?"

"This haiku is totally raw."
(with someone's entry quoted above)

"I think that if you wrote 'elucidate' instead of 'enunciate,' it'd be clearer for readers."

In other words, advice, compliments, and corrections can be made in haiku form without throwing off the haiku-derived mojo.

The trickiest instance occurs when someone writes a solid haiku, but then adds beneath, it in a separate paragraph, something like, "Oh wow, that was first haiku. That was fun. I really feel like Boneyarder now!" The recommendation would be to express your joy in haiku firm as well.

And there you have it: intolerance, judgment, and wrath the strikes fear into some, exasperated others, and allows misunderstanding to grow where it needn't.

Thanks for jump-starting this attempt to clarify my approach to being a helpful, supportive fan.

Tomorrow is game day, and Game Day haiku stokes the mojo.

Remember 5 syllables in line 1, then 7 in line 2, and finally 5 in line 3.

Ideate, write, check your math, and Post.

Go Huskies!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Completely agree, if you think that a bottle of Boones Farm left out in a car in 90° weather for a week as aging a fine wine.

Last year’s debacle resulted in a first round exit. I think most of us are hoping for better.
E8 for the Friars?

Reaction Score
Let me put things in perspective for you trekkies. This board is just a speck in the landscape of UConn culture. So much so that the admin who set it up probably forgot it exists. But if they had an inkling of what ensues here with a G squad claiming they have powers to influence the team’s performance, (who also don’t know you exist) the code language, the chauvinism, perceived seniority or pecking order, and all the other BS, they would further exile this board out of the fabric and rename the site ‘LandofthemisfitBoys dot com.
I couldn’t get through half of the drivel on this thread. I can assure you it’s totally sleep inducing. You’re embarrassing the rest of us with this bizarro melodrama. Creighton and other boards are probably laughing at us.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ventured over recently and it’s changed but not sure in a good way. The insight and knowledge from the old names is still there and as in the past first class.

However the number of posts that are absolutely clueless of events shocked me. I couldn’t decide if it was increased senility, immaturity or an overwhelming number of super casual fans that recently joined the forum.

And the cattiness. There still is the degree of decorum and absence of personal attack that you have maintained from the get go but now anyone with a different opinion gets a thumb down even if it has merit. Extremely passive aggressive.

I used to go there when the insanity in this asylum reached a level that straight jackets would be ineffective against feeling a sanitized environment was good for the soul. Did that even with my discomfort of sanitized discussions. And yes I understand perfectly well the rationale of your position. That you were sacrificing your preference for the sake of individuals who frequented that forum.

But now I have to say I miss that sanitized environment. l admire your ability to stay above the fray. At least most of the time. And those times when you need to throw cold water on situations. Well for me it’s pure entertainment.
Most interesting. I don't visit enough to know enough, but always figured it'd be too much to get to know 2 basketball boards.

I've watched every game in real time or replay ever since someone in this forum snuck in a, "Ya gotta see Paige" gush. The injury challenges starting with Nika going down & never fully coming back in 2021 until the present day have been a challenge like no other, but they are clearly my team, and I'm clearly a fan, even if I pretty much only share it via txt with my little sister.

I do like seeing that others who are fully engaged on the MBB board are also interested in the WBB program. Mentions like yours and this one seek to balance respect for this board's focus and recognize that there's always room for OT discussions of interest to those within this fan base.

PS - A whole lotta typos went uncorrected in the haiku response. I don't think it affects the mojo.

Reaction Score
As this season progresses along the trajectory that many of us are assuming it might, we can expect a large influx of new Boneyard members. While I think most would agree that the BY is a pretty free flowing platform, there are some traditional and/or ritualistic practices that newcomers would benefit from knowing. Firstly, the Boneyard did not invent Mojo. The concept of appeasing, or at least not aggravating, the Gods of any particular sport is as old as sport itself. You may choose to ignore this concept but you can expect to incur a little pushback from those who don't. Many of the Boneyard traditions or rituals have been season-specific; The Sacreds, Fort the Ead, Makers Mark, and Senhor Testiculo to name a few. The most constant BY tradition, at least in my experience, is the use of "doomed" as an expression of confidence, to avoid appearing hubristic before the basketball Gods. Generally, the more O's in the word, the more confident that poster is. Again, BY newcomers are under no obligation to observe this silliness, but you are not likely to dissuade those of us accustomed to doing so from continuing to do so. I know that anybody telling me to stop using 'doomed' is going to be disappointed - it's in the DNA.
Can you break this down to a single sentence?

Reaction Score
Let me put things in perspective for you trekkies. This board is just a speck in the landscape of UConn culture. So much so that the admin who set it up probably forgot it exists. But if they had an inkling of what ensues here with a G squad claiming they have powers to influence the team’s performance, (who also don’t know you exist) the code language, the chauvinism, perceived seniority or pecking order, and all the other BS, they would further exile this board out of the fabric and rename the site ‘LandofthemisfitBoys dot com.
I couldn’t get through half of the drivel on this thread. I can assure you it’s totally sleep inducing. You’re embarrassing the rest of us with this bizarro melodrama. Creighton and other boards are probably laughing at us.
Why you gotta be a ? Let people have their fun. If you don't like it, go away.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ventured over recently and it’s changed but not sure in a good way. The insight and knowledge from the old names is still there and as in the past first class.

However the number of posts that are absolutely clueless of events shocked me. I couldn’t decide if it was increased senility, immaturity or an overwhelming number of super casual fans that recently joined the forum.

And the cattiness. There still is the degree of decorum and absence of personal attack that you have maintained from the get go but now anyone with a different opinion gets a thumb down even if it has merit. Extremely passive aggressive.

I used to go there when the insanity in this asylum reached a level that straight jackets would be ineffective against feeling a sanitized environment was good for the soul. Did that even with my discomfort of sanitized discussions. And yes I understand perfectly well the rationale of your position. That you were sacrificing your preference for the sake of individuals who frequented that forum.

But now I have to say I miss that sanitized environment. l admire your ability to stay above the fray. At least most of the time. And those times when you need to throw cold water on situations. Well for me it’s pure entertainment.
Yeah, I’ve been going to the football board more often. It’s refreshing to see fans enjoy a win for its own sake. I’m here because the men have leached the positive mojo from the women. Even the women’s coaches are sick or injured. There’s some bad juju out there; maybe I can find a way to get rid of it.

Hey, anyone need a Christmas gift for Providence?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
And yet you linger... You should probably start a new and better board, you'd probably draw about half of us away.

Reaction Score
Let me put things in perspective for you trekkies. This board is just a speck in the landscape of UConn culture. So much so that the admin who set it up probably forgot it exists.
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Sounds like someone doesn't know much Boneyard history. The long nomadic trek of the Husky message board is a thing of legend.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I’ve been going to the football board more often. It’s refreshing to see fans enjoy a win for its own sake. I’m here because the men have leached the positive mojo from the women. Even the women’s coaches are sick or injured. There’s some bad juju out there; maybe I can find a way to get rid of it.

433CBB33-400E-4EA5-94B8-C0EA9930B2CA.jpeg

Or just send it to Providence, either one works.

Reaction Score
"Chauvinism" Senhor T objects to this baseless and slanderous accusation.

Reaction Score
Man, you are still so incredibly triggered lmao

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I’m here because the men have leached the positive mojo from the women.
Nan, I'm not sure this is true.

I vividly remember in March 2011 a number of us tried to get the women's forum on board with "winning" only to repeatedly get dismissed, often with comments such as "we don't need this".

Two time defending champions, with senior year Maya Moore got bumped solely due to lack of appreciation of mojo.

It was offered to that women's team on a silver platter and they (the women's board) snubbed it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I vividly remember in March 2011 a number of us tried to get the women's forum on board with "winning" only to repeatedly get dismissed, often with comments such as "we don't need this".

Two time defending champions, with senior year Maya Moore got bumped solely due to lack of appreciation of mojo.

It was offered to that women's team on a silver platter and they (the women's board) snubbed it.
You know it’s a bunch of 70-80 year old men there, right?

The women’s board:

1671218189955.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Take this to the women's board

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's as if forces of nature have aligned to suck joy from the euphoric women's board and are shooting rainbows and sparkles of joy towards football and men's basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom