Do we have better players than URI? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we have better players than URI?

Reaction Score
How do you explain our poor offense? There are only 3 schools in the entire FBS that score less points per game than UConn (!), and UConn is 105th in yards per game (talking about offense).

All this when there are only 2 true sophomores and no freshmen starting. 5 of the 11 starters on offense are seniors by the way...
Because we played teams that had more experienced defenders. Pindell is a senior but a newbie in terms of experience. I think he played well against UCF (overall I think the offense did better in that game) but Boise returned ten starters on defense. Their defense was way better than UCF’s. It was a bad matchup brother.

But I get it. You’d like to ignore the obvious in order to vent.
You’re entitled. But facts are facts.
We’re very young and inexperienced period.
Getting owned in sports is a good thing when you’re young. It develops character, work ethic and savvy. But as a fan it can be hard to watch when the beating takes place on the field during games and on the heels of seven losing seasons. Like I said, the seasoning of youngsters both offensively and defensively usually happens behind closed doors in practice.
And another factor- in Boise’s case- their offense gets to go up against that stout defense every day in practice so they get better looks and produce a more polished product on Saturdays. Our offense goes up against freshmen. When they get to the game it’s a just a smigeon harder to operate- across the board.

This team will look different next year. You’ll see.

Reaction Score
The line is 10. Opened at 7.5. I know. I’m tempted by URI too.

Reaction Score
And last time we heard him call a game on SNY he was still working at 1080, so had to feign some level of support for UConn. It was still obvious in listening to him that he hates UConn. Now he’ll be out of market and an unhinged URI homer who will bask in their fifteen minutes of fame if it’s close. I’m gonna have the 97.9 stream going
Not to worry. It won't be close.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If that line is true, I'm about to ask you guys to borrow some money so I can put it on URI. Very hard to fathom how anyone can lay 2 scores with our defense right now.

Reaction Score
It sounds like a slobber knocker but in some positions, we have superior athletes, even if freshmen. As always, comes down to superior execution.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
12B2526F-66F4-4132-AD87-008C03255BEC.png

What site you using - I can't find a line here Vegas Insider or here @ Bovada/ OddsShark

Found it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless you’ve actually watched Rhode Island how would you even guess at who has better players?

Reaction Score
Unless you’ve actually watched Rhode Island how would you even guess at who has better players?
Saw them at Brown last year. URI lost. We have a chance.

Edit: URI has much better quarterbacking this year. Uh oh. A win might inspire an upgrade to FBS?

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Your lack of explanation says that you believe that Rhody has the better players. Now that's a bad take.

Edsall is not worse than Diaco.

You are officially wrong.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Your lack of explanation says that you believe that Rhody has the better players. Now that's a bad take.

Pal saying we have worse coaches than URI is a bad take....

Reaction Score

I watched the URI/UAlbany game. RI's defense was very good. Albany couldn't get much going util the 4th quarter. Is URI better? I don't think so. But their roster is full of Juniors and Seniors and HCF is five years in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If that line is true, I'm about to ask you guys to borrow some money so I can put it on URI. Very hard to fathom how anyone can lay 2 scores with our defense right now.

It is hard to fathom anyone putting money on this game on either side. Here are two plausible outcomes:
1. We are just as awful as we looked last week, and find a way to lose or win on a late FG
2. We played a team that was undefeated last year and one that should be this year until Bowl season. Our guys, having faced some incredible size, speed and talent the last two weeks, face a team that is, comparatively, playing in sand. And they go to town.

UCF had a very hard time stopping our offense. Our own mistakes did most of that. URI is going to stop our offense? On the defensive side, guys who couldn't contain WR or RB, or shed blocks, may find that they can against this team.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
FCS teams usually lack size, speed and depth vs. most FBS teams. That can cause some drop off in performance late in the game. They get worn down. That was the case with Holy Cross last season.

Reaction Score
It is hard to fathom anyone putting money on this game on either side. Here are two plausible outcomes:
1. We are just as awful as we looked last week, and find a way to lose or win on a late FG
2. We played a team that was undefeated last year and one that should be this year until Bowl season. Our guys, having faced some incredible size, speed and talent the last two weeks, face a team that is, comparatively, playing in sand. And they go to town.

UCF had a very hard time stopping our offense. Our own mistakes did most of that. URI is going to stop our offense? On the defensive side, guys who couldn't contain WR or RB, or shed blocks, may find that they can against this team.

Let us pray for Number 2.

I watched some of the Albany game and without knowing anything about Albany it was amazing to see how Rhody blew them out. Albany had no life, was down 45-7 after three quarters and then scored three unanswered TD's to make it 45-26.

Mirror image of the Pitt-Albany game. About the same yardage for Pitt and URI, and Albany was also about the same in both games. Pitt didn't score in the second half.........maybe all subs? URI didn't score in the 4th quarter.

So, URI plays lots of senior and juniors and may be the equal of at least one Power Five school.

Reaction Score
I think we do, by a lot. Is that the consensus view? If that's true we should beat URI, no?

I believe these players are much better than they have shown. By the results say they are the worse defensive players in the entire FBS. And they were the worst last year too. The cupboard is bare.

I will root for these players regardless of results. But the coaches and the coaching are another matter.
I would not expect most sane football fans to pay attention to recruiting stars for this game, but if you add up the number of recruiting stars for Uconn vs URI, the totals are about 26 to 6 in favor of UConn.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I would not expect most sane football fans to pay attention to recruiting stars for this game, but if you add up the number of recruiting stars for Uconn vs URI, the totals are about 26 to 6 in favor of UConn.

How does this ratio compare to the Boise game?

Reaction Score
How does this ratio compare to the Boise game?
Don't know, would take some research. If you feel up to it, have at it. Lol. However, I would hazard a guess and say Boise State has more players who were 2 and 3 star recruits (maybe even a few 4 stars) than Uconn has.

Reaction Score
I've got UConn opening as 7.5 point favorites this morning.

Reaction Score
How do you explain our poor offense? There are only 3 schools in the entire FBS that score less points per game than UConn (!), and UConn is 105th in yards per game (talking about offense).

All this when there are only 2 true sophomores and no freshmen starting. 5 of the 11 starters on offense are seniors by the way...

How do you explain thinking statistics tell you much after two games when the games are against the best two teams we will play?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom