Do we have a "best" player? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we have a "best" player?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
My guess is that it's based on data as opposed to random anecdotal message board musings.
If you don’t know how to form your own opinions with your own eyes just say that. Lol

This whole smart Alec response gets tiring. Plenty of people have pointed out on this board how we do sometimes play better with Sanogo out. And they don’t need to look at numbers to do it.

Reaction Score
They aren't including Clingan because of his minutes per game but he blows Sanogo out of the water on some of these stats. It's crazy what we have at the center position.

His minutes per game are too low because he backs up the best player on our team :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes we have a 'best player'. The thing is who it us may change from game to game.

It's a good problem to have.

Going even more nuanced, even if statistically Sanogo is the best player, UConn does not need him to be the best player in order to win. You can make the argument that in some games we don't want Sanogo to be the leading scorer, or play the most minutes, in order to win.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Part of the reason we go on runs when Sanogo sits is that the other teams' starters are also sitting. We have an incredible 2nd unit led by the best back-up center in the country so naturally we dominate the minutes when it is bench vs. bench.
I kinda get that. But idk I feel like our offense is also ran different. It goes from feed the big man to drive and kick. Teams have to know where DC is at all times in the paint as a lob threat and just the simple fact he can catch and dunk. Creates a lot more space compared to Sanogo who still needs time to gather when we drive and dump to him.

I don’t mean any disrespect to Sanogo, I think it’s more about the fact that DC is really just that good currently and is better at being a cog.

Reaction Score
If you don’t know how to form your own opinions with your own eyes just say that. Lol

This whole smart Alec response gets tiring. Plenty of people have pointed out on this board how we do sometimes play better with Sanogo out. And they don’t need to look at numbers to do it.

You asked, I answered. And you're still just offering an anecdotal opinion, which is fine. But you can't get your panties all bunched up when there is data that contradicts your "IDK the offense is just ran different" conclusion.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You asked, I answered. And you're still just offering an anecdotal opinion, which is fine. But you can't get your panties all bunched up when there is data that contradicts your "IDK the offense is just ran different" conclusion.
Do you really not see how the offense changes when you watch the games?

Reaction Score
PT aside, the jury is still tentative in judging Clingan, because he hasn't faced much real competition yet. As we step into the league schedule which will see us facing a strong team 2 games out of every three, he will have the opportunity to prove his mettle. Creighton will likely be his litmus test.

Meanwhile, Adama is our top guy, but if Hawkins trajectory continues in the direction he appears headed, he might just pass Adama by tourney time.
Hawk’s ceiling is pretty damn high and it’s a luxury that UCONN won’t have to lean hard on him for points.

Reaction Score
Part of the reason we go on runs when Sanogo sits is that the other teams' starters are also sitting. We have an incredible 2nd unit led by the best back-up center in the country so naturally we dominate the minutes when it is bench vs. bench.
This. And the team shows the opposition a very different look with the 2nd squad with Clingan and Joey in. The two of them work well together. Clingan helps Joey get open on the perimeter and Joey loves feeding Clingan in the post. Joey also sometimes gets burned off the dribble but Clingan eliminates some of those mistakes with his defense.

Reaction Score
I think Sanogo and Clingan are a lot closer than most on the board seem to think. I give Sanogo the edge because he's much more versatile at scoring the ball than Clingan is at this stage and he's more versatile on defense because of his ability to get out on people out to the three point line and a much better ft shooter but Clingan is simply more dominant down low on both offense and defense than Sanogo is. He's also a better rebounder, passer, and shotblocker than Sanogo is.

As for best player I would go with Adama and would break it down like this. Jackson is the most important player to this team, Sanogo the most consistent all around/best offensive moves, Hawkins the most explosive/best scorer, Clingan the most impactful/dominant.

Reaction Score
Was discussing this with a friend of mine (also a huge fan/total UConn hoops nutcase) and we concluded that we do not have one. That is the best part about this team. On any given night someone can go off, or any two/three players can go off, or any one or two players can be in foul trouble, or have an off night. Talk about having Ferraris in the garage! IMO we have 4 contenders for "best" player, but there cannot be just one. Thoughts?
I would say it's the center position

Reaction Score
The latest player rankings on EvanMiya CBB Analytics have Andre 4th and Adama 6th. I really don’t know much about his methodology. It’s so impressive how well so many of our players are playing and how well the pieces fit together.
46962E5C-6D16-4B1D-9D27-41F7A6FCFA98.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’m curious what this is based on when we consistently watch us go on runs when he goes on the bench (not that we’re losing with him in the game).

He says this after reading that Sanogo’s box +/- is the best in the league . . .

Reaction Score
This is subjective, no? The fact that this is debatable, makes me lean "no." I'm sure others will say someone else. Adama may be the "most important," but not sure the "best." Is there even a difference?
Anything is debatable if you can find someone willing to look stupid enough.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The latest player rankings on EvanMiya CBB Analytics have Andre 4th and Adama 6th. I really don’t know much about his methodology. It’s so impressive how well so many of our players are playing and how well the pieces fit together. View attachment 81810
Cool to see a computer metric capturing what we see with Jackson when we watch but don’t necessarily see in the traditional box score

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This was my argument...Adama can be spelled by Clingan, and Clingan can spelled by Adama. Hawk can be compensated for. Ajax can't be replaced. What he does, total package, no one one else on the team can do.

caw

Reaction Score

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I think the only consensus is that we have a big 3. Adama Sanogo is our most dominant player, Andre Jackson is our most important player, and Jordan Hawkins is the X factor that puts us over the top.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Hawk just beginning to soar. I think either Hawk or Cling Kong will get drafted highest

And I love Sanogo, we're lucky to have him and he's a leader on this team

Reaction Score
Even teams with a bunch of very good players need team leaders. Down the stretch of a big game, which player do you want handling the ball?

At this point, in this season, I'd probably want it to be Sanogo. Not that others aren't capable of hitting a big shot in a big moment or carrying the team in crunch time, just that Sanogo's got the skills and the experience. I give the nod to him as the leader and overall best player. But as people have said here, it's nice to have many options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom