Do I REALLY wanna do this??!!! ;-) | The Boneyard

Do I REALLY wanna do this??!!! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have CERTAINLY had this discussion before. I really shouldn't call it a discussion; because what I am actually doing( as has CERTAINLY been done before) is making a statement or offering an opinion that will clearly (1.)generate some agreement, I hope; (2.)draw a bunch of women's fans over here to add to those who visit regularly who will range from "Do I have to listen to this crap AGAIN?!!" to "You are a a**hole who doesn't know what he is talking about; and should be banned from the board or turned into a life long PUKE fan!!". (3.)WORST CASE: Set off some kind of mega-internet alarm that will wake up THE FISHMEISTER early and/or spoil his breakfast.

I am not going to respond to responses because (a.) I don't want/have to and (b.) I have decided that responses(even though my opinion is life long and serious) should be at least a bit tongue in cheek.
The world is freakin' crazy; and we all need a heavy dose of big time yuks!! :) (GO HUSKIES 4-TIME NCAA CHAMPIONS!!! NO I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S A** ABOUT TEN OR 3 IN A ROW!!)

This morning I go out to my mailbox(part of most of our Sunday rituals) and get my newspaper(the esteemed???? Waterbury Republican-American). Up in the left hand corner,where there is usually some sports teaser, is the small headline with a picture of Geno "THE BEST EVER?". My reaction immediately was "Roger(Roger Cleveland the paper's women's beat writer).....you have got to be kidding me??!!! You are going to seriously start this AGAIN!!!???

I am not going to denigrate the accomplishments(on and off the court) of any of UCONN'S women's teams. In fact, in the early years of this run, I was a fan. BUT, the whole process(YEAH PROCESS!! Like manufacturing or scientific processes!!) gets old in a hurry. Listening to Geno, related sports writers, game announcers--who must snort something to stay awake,players, and fans argue how tough anything related to most games was is absolutely ludicrous. Once again we are subjected to a cakewalk of a national tournament. AND, maybe, after winning another 3 in a row, those of you who think this is exciting will admit to your boredom. Or maybe excessive safety masquerading as basketball is what you want/need?

I don't get it! I will never get it!! I don't want to ever get it!!!

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Of course the esteemed Waterbury Paper incorrectly lists Geno as having a 5-4 record in NC games and Summitt as 10-0.

Reaction Score
Loud enough Hoops? LOL

Anyway this is going to get the picture of the guy beating the horse you do know that. The thing is I agree with you because anyone who actually believes that he should be mentioned ion the same breath with Wooden, Auerbach, K or any others like that just know very little about anything other than women's basketball. But that's alright because heck they have a pretty damn thing going on there right? I mean he is easily and no doubt the best women's coach ever bar none. He makes players better even though he gets the best, he does his job as a coach with his desire to make them better on and off the court. He is so far ahead of the rest it is now laughable as even when they play a "C" game in the finals they win by 10.

Having said that there is little to compare to in the 2 games other than the court and the concept. After that the every day athlete they face each encounter is totally different and the competition overall ridiculously different for 90% of the contests, if not 95%. I think MOST people who get the 2 games understand this but there will always be the others, never will they go away so we could talk about it until we're blue in the face or until that horse is dead, it will always be out there for those who actually think it's real.

Give Geno and the girls their due and forget these articles exist because they'll drive you batty Hoops1:confused:

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Half his post is about how much discussion he's going to generate. It's about him.

Trolling is usually about ego. And he acknowledged he's trolling in the thread title.

UConn Hoops 1 has been ar0und a long time, not a troll passing through stirring up trouble for fun. I find the knee-jerk attacks on the board to be much more annoying that the post, which I found to be "beating a dead horse," as Mau suggested many would find it. On the other hand, if it makes a long-time poster feel better, what the heck.

Reaction Score
What the man has built here is nothing short of incredible. When your argument is he has become too dominant... you have to thinkg back to the first Final Four they played in where Dawn Staley was a player for UVa. That game was appointment TV, Tuesday's national title game I did not watch a single minute because I was at work so I get that it just isn't exciting anymore unless you're a die hard.

If you are going to participate in a sport the goal should be to dominate it. Geno has mangaged to do it, Kudos to him, and I have no idea why that would bother UConn fans.

Reaction Score
The men's 4 was 3x harder than the women's 10, and as far as great coaching goes I think Calhoun though appreciated is often left out of conversations that instead focus on Izzo et al. But no amount of protest will change that. Geno is the best at what he does in his category.

Reaction Score
leebo c'mon man! This is a VERY tired, EXTREMELY well-worn topic that serves no purpose whatsoever except to underscore that Cleveland is scraping the bottom of the journalistic barrel looking for copy. I am amazed that it got by his editor. The topic and related opinions lost any steam years ago. I'm looking for laughs using this sad sack journalist as fodder; and, from you, I'm getting "ego-bloat"??!! What exactly is that? Do I need to take a laxative? ;-). Do yourself a favor. It's a warm, sunny day. Step away from the keyboard; and get the hell outside. Watch out for mau though. He has an arsenal of long range water pistols; and he uses this indelible dye mix. You don't move fast enough; you are totally screwed! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Half his post is about how much discussion he's going to generate. It's about him.

Trolling is usually about ego. And he acknowledged he's trolling in the thread title.

He's not a troll, just hasn't been around all that much. Maybe a sort of comeback rather than an attempt to stroke his own ego. Although I'm guessing he has one!;)

Reaction Score
He's not a troll, just hasn't been around all that much. Maybe a sort of comeback rather than an attempt to stroke his own ego. Although I'm guessing he has one!;)

Thanks mau....much appreciated. As you know(At least I think you do. I posted a little bit about it quite some time ago), I spent a very long time in the hospital(6 weeks incl. a stint in ICU on a ventilator). Because it was a very significant neurological problem,literally coming on with no warning and a 30% survival rate; I am still dealing with the recovery process(which has at least another year -- two+ years total-- to go). All is progressing very well; but your comment about "sort of a comeback" is right on the money. As you know I have been here for quite awhile(several years but not sure, given several Yard transformations,how long). I swear that damn Fishy is deliberately trying to confuse me more or send me down some Boneyard blind path, the end of which has me playing duck pin bowling with Donald Trump for all eternity.:eek:

I have quite literally not seen one minute or read even a complete sentence about men's hoops(although after a 4th NC, I am totally down with the "growth spasm" ,for lack of better terms, that happened this season. It is absolutely great, win or lose, to look forward to the next season with a team that has Kevin Ollie running the show. And I also really like our personnel(on and off the court). So we have another year's experience since the last NC for all the young guys. Let's bring in a little more talent; play hard, consistent defense; and see if the coming season or the 16-17 season is the year we add #5; and embarrass the out of Krapascrewdookski and Calamari in the process.

GO HUSKIES!!!:)

Reaction Score
Thanks mau....much appreciated. As you know(At least I think you do. I posted a little bit about it quite some time ago), I spent a very long time in the hospital(6 weeks incl. a stint in ICU on a ventilator). Because it was a very significant neurological problem,literally coming on with no warning and a 30% survival rate; I am still dealing with the recovery process(which has at least another year -- two+ years total-- to go). All is progressing very well; but your comment about "sort of a comeback" is right on the money. As you know I have been here for quite awhile(several years but not sure, given several Yard transformations,how long). I swear that damn Fishy is deliberately trying to confuse me more or send me down some Boneyard blind path, the end of which has me playing duck pin bowling with Donald Trump for all eternity.:eek:

I have quite literally not seen one minute or read even a complete sentence about men's hoops(although after a 4th NC, I am totally down with the "growth spasm" ,for lack of better terms, that happened this season. It is absolutely great, win or lose, to look forward to the next season with a team that has Kevin Ollie running the show. And I also really like our personnel(on and off the court). So we have another year's experience since the last NC for all the young guys. Let's bring in a little more talent; play hard, consistent defense; and see if the coming season or the 16-17 season is the year we add #5; and embarrass the out of Krapascrewdookski and Calamari in the process.

Hey Hoops glad to see you are recovering. I did remember but didn't want to ask much but seriously, glad you're back on the path. I guessed you were since you came out flying with caps! LOL.....stay well!! Continued health.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Yikes, sounds scary as hell! Congrats and stay the course with your recovery...hopefully the worst is past and you will have steady progress from this point onward!

Reaction Score
Thanks DB2! It happened so fast; and the conclusion being drawn(based more on test results at the time(like very high fever,also very high white blood cell count, electroencephalograms, CT Scans of my head etc.) was that it was an auto-immune response. In other words, I had a virus which triggered my immune system to produce antibodies to, theoretically, attack the virus and protect me. However, the antibodies did not recognize the virus as hostile/foreign. Instead,the antibodies identified my brain as foreign/hostile tissue; and the antibodies attacked healthy brain tissue/neuro cells causing a rapid and diffuse swelling of my brain leading to confusion,hallucinations, multiple severe grand mal seizures and unconsciousness.
Thank God my daughter(who is a physics teacher and happened to be at my house that morning) had fairly strong healthcare experience; and was able to take control of situation(my wife,understandably, was in meltdown) and mobilized ambulance/paramedics, police,family, neighbors etc.. My understanding of events is very much piecemeal. I lost about a month's worth of memory which they tell me is totally normal because, with the swelling, the brain protects itself by stopping imprinting information. Essentially, it shuts down. After the acute hospital experience; it was time for picking up the pieces; so I spent almost four weeks at Gaylord in Wallingford. If there is a five star healthcare facility on the planet, Gaylord is it. For high level, complicated, and, potentially difficult rehabilitation there is absolutely no place better. From sophisticated memory training to restoring balance, muscle strength, and endurance to moping the floor in my room with a big smile and a sincere concern for how I was doing they are, hands down, the best in the business.
So, anyhow, I am doing well. It is slow; and I still have issues with short term memory,balance and endurance; but I am not complaining. And, by way of a little education for everyone; from the reading I have been doing. It really does look like our immune systems are the medical battlefront for the future. They(immune systems) are intertwined with virtually every little nook and cranny of who we are anatomically and physiologically. AND, the scary part is that, apparently, there are ALWAYS, antibodies in circulation, even in the absence of infection. And they are capable, with little or no provocation, of identifying ANY organ tissue(liver,lung,intestine etc.) as hostile/foreign; and all hell breaks loose. Hence, the terms "autoimmune disease."
Most importantly it is time to stop talking about all this nonsense; and get ready to get back to kicking a** on the basketball court in a few months. ;)

GO HUSKIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01