DJ Leaves Ledyard | The Boneyard

DJ Leaves Ledyard

Reaction Score
Ledyard's Hernandez resigns after one season

>>“Jonathan worked hard over the last year in his role as head football coach,” Buonocore said. “We are sad to see him leave us but we understand that family and personal obligations come first. We appreciate his efforts during his time spent with us and wish Jonathan and his family the best in the future.<<

Reaction Score
He had a rough year there. Ledyard's typically a perennial power. Wouldn't be surprised if parents chirping had something to do with it.

Reaction Score
He had a rough year there. Ledyard's typically a perennial power. Wouldn't be surprised if parents chirping had something to do with it.

Nothing surprises me but cripes, he lost his starting QB @ the beginning of the season. Not like teams in that league have a ton of depth.

Reaction Score
Nothing surprises me but cripes, he lost his starting QB @ the beginning of the season. Not like teams in that league have a ton of depth.
Parents are getting really bad. People made fun of my generations parents but this is a whole different level. I know a lot of coaches who have been at it over a decade who have seriously considered retiring all together because of the headaches.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Parents are getting really bad. People made fun of my generations parents but this is a whole different level. I know a lot of coaches who have been at it over a decade who have seriously considered retiring all together because of the headaches.

I was just talking with a lax coach a couple nights ago who has been doing it for years and said the same thing

Reaction Score
I was just talking with a lax coach a couple nights ago who has been doing it for years and said the same thing
Yeah I think there are a lot of reasons for it. I think part of it is that there's a lot of really bad coaching at the youth levels and it makes parents jaded at that start. The internet doesn't help either. You have parents going on YouTube to learn about things and then proclaim themselves experts. There's also an issue in a lot of communities where your kids status on the team is seen as reflective of the parents. When that happens you get parents itching and complaining that their kid isn't playing enough because they feel like it makes them look bad

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah I think there are a lot of reasons for it. I think part of it is that there's a lot of really bad coaching at the youth levels and it makes parents jaded at that start. The internet doesn't help either. You have parents going on YouTube to learn about things and then proclaim themselves experts. There's also an issue in a lot of communities where your kids status on the team is seen as reflective of the parents. When that happens you get parents itching and complaining that their kid isn't playing enough because they feel like it makes them look bad

It's nothing new. Calhoun dubbed them "whack job parents" in his first book, which was published almost 20 years ago. I remember there being some when I was playing HS sports. One of my junior high teachers who also coached was one of the worst with his own kid. Once when his son had just gotten out of an arm cast he was out there throwing a ball with him. He expected the kid to grow up and become the stud athlete he never was.

They've been around for a long time, with and without the internet, which just puts them more on display for the entire world to see.

Reaction Score
It's nothing new. Calhoun dubbed them "whack job parents" in his first book, which was published almost 20 years ago. I remember there being some when I was playing HS sports. One of my junior high teachers who also coached was one of the worst with his own kid. Once when his son had just gotten out of an arm cast he was out there throwing a ball with him. He expected the kid to grow up and become the stud athlete he never was.

They've been around for a long time, with and without the internet, which just puts them more on display for the entire world to see.
They're worse now than ever before from every coach I talk to.

Reaction Score
Coaches are often just as bad.

If their own kids on the team be prepared for that kid to play more and in the best situations(batting order, point guard, infield, playing time etc)

It’s to uncommon for travel teams(not AAU)in late elementary and middle school to be up
30 points with the best kids still in the game with the 5 kids that get limited time still sitting there on the bench. Its shameless and common place.

Reaction Score

If their own kids on the team be prepared for that kid to play more and in the best situations(batting order, point guard, infield, playing time etc)

It’s to uncommon for travel teams(not AAU)in late elementary and middle school to be up
30 points with the best kids still in the game with the 5 kids that get limited time still sitting there on the bench. Its shameless and common place.
Yes I listed that as a reason for why high school coaches sometimes have a hard time earning any trust with parents

Reaction Score
Yes I listed that as a reason for why high school coaches sometimes have a hard time earning any trust with parents

I was agreeing and adding some points.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I hear you in some isolated incidents that is true
By any chance, did you play with some coaches kids?
I coached HS for 1 year and said adios - the parents are insane - even in the sport soccer where 99.9% of the parents never played but boy did they know more than I did.

Reaction Score
I coached HS for 1 year and said adios - the parents are insane - even in the sport soccer where 99.9% of the parents never played but boy did they know more than I did.

I think soccer parents are a notch above all the other sports. My kids have been involved in it for the past decade at different levels, and there are insane parents out there. Screaming at refs, screaming at kids, trying to get involved in coach's on-field business decisions, etc

Reaction Score

I did on occasion play with coaches kids but not too often actually. I was fortunate as a young kid that I got a lot of playing time. The unfortunate parts is I peaked in middle school. But as I say it is better to have peaked than to not have peaked at all.

I coached a little travel and some parks and rec. throughout the years.
It really is disgraceful in many instances how some fathers can pull the snow they pull.
No self awareness at all. Kinda sad actually.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

My dad was the exception to the rule... no one ever accused him of nepotism.

One time in little league, he kicked me out of practice and made me walk home. I was the best kid on the team that year, but I was being an 11-year old punk & he put me in my place. After I left, everyone else was very well behaved the rest of practice. He was a great coach.

Reaction Score

One time in little league, he kicked me out of practice and made me walk home. I was the best kid on the team that year, but I was being an 11-year old punk & he put me in my place. After I left, everyone else was very well behaved the rest of practice. He was a great coach.
It almost always goes one way or the other. My dad coached but didn't coach me. He would have been fine but he thought it was best to just be a spectator when I played even though he enjoyed coaching

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

lmao this is awesome.

My t ball coach once got a DUI in the parking lot on his way to practice

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My dad was an assistant coach during my Little League years. Back in third grade, he beaned me on the first pitch of live BP I’d ever seen in my life. I blame that moment for the fear of the ball that killed my career.

Reaction Score
Talk about a high jacked thread. We have no idea why DJ left. It could be as simple as coaching was taking too much time away from his family. One poster posted " Wouldn't be surprised if parents chirping had something to do with it" and the whole thread becomes about that.

BTW I don't disagree about overbearing parents. But I think they are in the minority. They just stand out more.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
lmao this is awesome.

My t ball coach once got a DUI in the parking lot on his way to practice

"Buttermaker" in his Caddy convertible, with the trunk full of pool cleaning chemicals and equipment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom