DJ Joey came up big | The Boneyard

DJ Joey came up big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Great job by DJ Joey. Kept the energy up through out the game. The pre-game music was stellar. I know many on the board thought that he would be a cringe in front of the visiting fans. Not the case, he was an asset.

OTOH, can we sh1tcan the forced U-C-O-N-N cheer for now and forever? It has to be organic. That cheer was the true embarrassment. Mitch Albom nails it: "I’m not kidding when I tell you there was actually a guy on the PA system before the game yelling, “Gimme a C. … Gimme an O! ...”

Reaction Score
Great job by DJ Joey. Kept the energy up through out the game. The pre-game music was stellar. I know many on the board thought that he would be a cringe in front of the visiting fans. Not the case, he was an asset.

OTOH, can we sh1tcan the forced U-C-O-N-N cheer for now and forever? It has to be organic. That cheer was the true embarrassment. Mitch Albom nails it: "I’m not kidding when I tell you there was actually a guy on the PA system before the game yelling, “Gimme a C. … Gimme an O! ...”

I don’t know if Red is a football fan and goes to these games – I’m going to say something outrageous now: I’d rather see Red on that big jumbotron than Emily. If he led the cheer at some crucial do-or-die time at The Rent, I think that place would be shaken to its foundation. The Athletic Dept needs to set him up with two free seats – his choice on where he wants them, and they need to limo him to and from the game, and 100% comp him with food and drink. If he doesn’t want to show up to every FB game, that’s fine – but he would be a treasure to have at the big games like Saturday night’s. I guarantee these snotty UM fans wouldn’t be dismissive of a Big Red-led UCONN cheer because it would be out of this world loud.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

With you 100% on all of this. DJ Joey just gave a sense of how this can work if done correctly. There needs to be a production meeting of how time is alloted depending on the game situation.

3rd down, 4th down, after a big momentum shift or turnover, and the beginning of the 4th quarter, DJ should be given the floor to juice to crowd musically.

All other times the band should get the floor including after 3 down stops.

The PA announcer/board has a certain amount of promo/commercials to get in (it's unavoidable) pick better spots and limit the number if you can't fit them in.

U-C-O-N-N shouldn't be prompted at all. Sorry, spirit squad you suck at it. After a score, the band plays the fight song or other intro and everyone tacks it on at the end. Simple.

Band, you'll need to find another drill that spells UCONN. The PA prompted jump drill to a half empty stadium doesn't work, it's never worked. I just didn't have the heart to say it before.

What I have said before is that the pregame needs more oomph and cohesion. But, that was in another thread.

Still liking the new dogs across CT intro but it seems isolated, it needs a better audio component and to be synched with the player intros which should be shortened and get a better audio backing.

What other problems are we solving today?

Reaction Score

No forced cheers at the big house? Does Albom even go to Michigan games???

Michigan_cheerleaders_during_UMass_game.jpg

Reaction Score
With you 100% on all of this. DJ Joey just gave a sense of how this can work if done correctly. There needs to be a production meeting of how time is alloted depending on the game situation.

3rd down, 4th down, after a big momentum shift or turnover, and the beginning of the 4th quarter, DJ should be given the floor to juice to crowd musically.

All other times the band should get the floor including after 3 down stops.

The PA announcer/board has a certain amount of promo/commercials to get in (it's unavoidable) pick better spots and limit the number if you can't fit them in.

U-C-O-N-N shouldn't be prompted at all. Sorry, spirit squad you suck at it. After a score, the band plays the fight song or other intro and everyone tacks it on at the end. Simple.

Band, you'll need to find another drill that spells UCONN. The PA prompted jump drill to a half empty stadium doesn't work, it's never worked. I just didn't have the heart to say it before.

What I have said before is that the pregame needs more oomph and cohesion. But, that was in another thread.

Still liking the new dogs across CT intro but it seems isolated, it needs a better audio component and to be synched with the player intros which should be shortened and get a better audio backing.

What other problems are we solving today?

One thing I realized when they started their Go Blue chant, is that our fanbase has no “go to” cheer to counteract and drown-out visiting fans. U-C-O-N-N wouldn’t work in this case. What might work nice is the basketball cheer where one side of the stadium would chant UConn and the other side would chant Huskies. Like this:

UConn
Huskies
UConn
Huskies
Huskies
UConn
U.

Reaction Score

The canned UConn cheer makes me cringe every time I hear it. It's truly embarrassing, as is announcing record attendance in front of a team and their fans that have a 110,000 seat stadium. There are some improvements at the Rent this year, focus on that. With all the conference realignment stuff going on, we really need good PR at this time and can't afford doing anything to embarrass the program or the University. Not saying these items are significant, but UConn / public relations needs to be smart in whatever they're sharing with the public. Again, I posted about the announced 1,800 season ticket holders. It just doesn't sound good. If it doesn't sound positive, or it creates questions, don't announce it.

Reaction Score
The canned UConn cheer makes me cringe every time I hear it. It's truly embarrassing, as is announcing record attendance in front of a team and their fans that have a 110,000 seat stadium. There are some improvements at the Rent this year, focus on that. With all the conference realignment stuff going on, we really need good PR at this time and can't afford doing anything to embarrass the program or the University. Not saying these items are significant, but UConn / public relations needs to be smart in whatever they're sharing with the public. Again, I posted about the announced 1,800 season ticket holders. It just doesn't sound good. If it doesn't sound positive, or it creates questions, don't announce it.

yes, exactly. From now on we need to keep crazy grandma locked in the attic until all of this CR stuff dies down.

Reaction Score
No forced cheers at the big house? Does Albom even go to Michigan games???

Michigan_cheerleaders_during_UMass_game.jpg

I also hate articles like that in which a writer labels a play a "stupid mistake" when it was really just a great play by Byron Jones. In college, QBs go up top a dozen times a game like that. It was just a good play. Nothing stupid about it.

Reaction Score
I also hate articles like that in which a writer labels a play a "stupid mistake" when it was really just a great play by Byron Jones. In college, QBs go up top a dozen times a game like that. It was just a good play. Nothing stupid about it.

The ball was underthrown a bit, but Jones made an NFL-level play on that one. He opened his hips, ran with the receiver, found the ball, shielded the receiver with his body (legally), and made a great catch.

Reaction Score

Yea, that was a great play. Ball could have been thrown a little further, but it still ended up basically being a 50/50 ball and our guy made a play. And in the same article he gives Morgan credit for his interception which was much more of a terrible decision by Whitmer.

Reaction Score
One thing I realized when they started their Go Blue chant, is that our fanbase has no “go to” cheer to counteract and drown-out visiting fans. U-C-O-N-N wouldn’t work in this case. What might work nice is the basketball cheer where one side of the stadium would chant UConn and the other side would chant Huskies. Like this:

UConn
Huskies
UConn
Huskies
Huskies
UConn
U.

Most schools have these back and forth type cheers. "Lets GO" "Mountaineers"

When the cheerleading coach with the microphone would do BLUE WHITE (which I have never heard at any UCONN sporting event) it was a no brainer for him to do the UCONN HUSKIES HUSKIES UCONN U

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not to coin the obvious.

GO U!
GO DOGS GO!
TRUE BLUE!
Let's go Huskies!

There are many possibilities, but I never liked the Blue/White cheer.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Most schools have these back and forth type cheers. "Lets GO" "Mountaineers"

When the cheerleading coach with the microphone would do BLUE WHITE (which I have never heard at any UCONN sporting event) it was a no brainer for him to do the UCONN HUSKIES HUSKIES UCONN U
The way I've seen it work really well is a back & forth between the student section and a part of the crowd. GT did this (and I'm sure others do) where the student section starts the cheer by pointing to a section of the crowd close to them, then does a back & forth ie Blue-White etc.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don’t know if Red is a football fan and goes to these games – I’m going to say something outrageous now: I’d rather see Red on that big jumbotron than Emily. If he led the cheer at some crucial do-or-die time at The Rent, I think that place would be shaken to its foundation. The Athletic Dept needs to set him up with two free seats – his choice on where he wants them, and they need to limo him to and from the game, and 100% comp him with food and drink. If he doesn’t want to show up to every FB game, that’s fine – but he would be a treasure to have at the big games like Saturday night’s. I guarantee these snotty UM fans wouldn’t be dismissive of a Big Red-led UCONN cheer because it would be out of this world loud.
Big Red used to do the U-C-O-N-N cheer for the first couple of years. It was really hard to see him and he was never on the video board.

Reaction Score
I suggested this to the cheerleaders a couple of years ago:

Cheerleaders prompt the student section to yell "U" ... rest of the stadium yells "CONN" ... "U" ... "CONN" ... "U" ... "CONN" etc. etc. Would be really cool to sustain it ... especially if the opponents started a drive at the end with the student section. When UCONN goes back on offense ... quiet down.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Great job by DJ Joey. Kept the energy up through out the game."
DJ Joey is a waste of space and his de-emphasis during the game has been one of the pleasant changes made this year. If he does do all the in game music, he's got a couple hits and a bunch of misses. Real tired of "Welcome to the Jungle" on third down.

Reaction Score
There are always small isolated "Uconn Huskies Uconn Huskies Huskies Uconn" chants in the crowd. It'd be great to have the whole Rent do that one with the students starting it.

On the topic of DJ Joey on Saturday-he didn't pretty well. Sandstorm was perfect and really got the crowd going like it did in the old days.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Come on y'all...it's Joey Franchize. At least get the name right:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
UConn really needs to take control of the stadium on gameday.

Reaction Score
I thought he had a very well time zombienation and a couple other moments when the music selection amped the crowd up. Hopefully it continues but I am sure having a juiced up crowd with a meaningful, and close game helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom