Disrespected Again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disrespected Again

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I call Close the JP McCallie of Westwood. Definitely not a top 10 coach in my opinion. Actually a much less accomplished version of McCallie if you really think about it.
What I have thought about is I think someone has been dipping into the Eggnog a bit too much this holiday season….

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What I have thought about is I think someone has been dipping into the Eggnog a bit too much this holiday season….

Let me know when Close gets to four Elite 8s in a row. Or goes to 9 sweet 16s. Or wins four P5 conference tournament titles. Or wins four P5 regular season titles. Or take her team to the national title game. Or win the National Coach of the Year award. Or have a.0.755 all time coaching winning percentage at a Power 5 school.

giphy (1).gif

Reaction Score
Pat Summitt??

If Summitt was still coaching an unranked team this article would never have been published.
Some legends are treated differently.

Reaction Score
No wonder coaching is harder.
We are dealing with an entirely different WCBB landscape than just even ten years ago. Geno's system just is not as effective with the present type of players. This has even filtered down to high school and projects it getting progressively worse. Before you guestion my intent, I will say I am old school and a fan of the type of system Geno runs. However, the womens games dynamics have changed so much that my fandom has wained considerable. In the present reality, objectively, it is not ridiculous that Geno has been demoted on the coaching scale. This is the new reality we are presently in.

Reaction Score
Internet writing and critical thinking has become so inane and stupid, I have stopped paying attention to any of it. Just watch the games.
Is the Boneyard "internet writing and critical thinking"?

Reaction Score
I’m surprised by Close, but the ranking is likely based on the wording of the question. Who is the best coach ever? That is clearly Geno. Pat may be second. Who is the best coach of the past 5 years or so? I think Dawn is likely #1, and Kim probably is #2. Both have 2 championships since Geno’s last one. Geno’s full career trumps everyone, but his results have dropped off, especially the last 2+ injury riddled seasons.
I would say Geno, Tara or Pat as the best ever. Geno has won a lot of games but maybe as important he has also won more championships. I think Dawn is definitely putting her name in the mix and Kim based on her win percentage but I would put both of these ladies in the second level of the greatest all time, at least for now.

Reaction Score
We are dealing with an entirely different WCBB landscape than just even ten years ago. Geno's system just is not as effective with the present type of players. This has even filtered down to high school and projects it getting progressively worse. Before you guestion my intent, I will say I am old school and a fan of the type of system Geno runs. However, the womens games dynamics have changed so much that my fandom has wained considerable. In the present reality, objectively, it is not ridiculous that Geno has been demoted on the coaching scale. This is the new reality we are presently in.
I think you’re right, and game dynamics have changed. I may be mistaken about this, but there seems to be more showboating, more taunting, more overt star culture than even 10 years ago. This may be what inevitably happens when the sport grows in popularity or it may be a temporary artifact of the portal, covid and NIL. I’m hoping for the latter, but that hope coming true may also accompany a contraction in national interest in WCBB.

I think there’s still room for the old culture that Geno represents, along with Dawn and Tara and others. But a simple return to this across D1 seems unlikely, and certainly not in just a few years.

sun

Reaction Score
John Wooden retired at the age of 64 after winning his 10th NC in 1975.
He never made more than $35,000 per year which would be $200,152 in 2023.
And he never asked for a raise.
He was reportedly offered to coach the LA Lakers for 10X his salary but turned it down.
UCLA gave him a powder blue Mercedes Benz as a retirement gift.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I would say Geno, Tara or Pat as the best ever. Geno has won a lot of games but maybe as important he has also won more championships. I think Dawn is definitely putting her name in the mix and Kim based on her win percentage but I would put both of these ladies in the second level of the greatest all time, at least for now.
Her win percentage would a heck of a lot less if she played the type of schedule that Geno, Pat, Muffet, and even Tara did or does. Geno, Pat and Muffet were almost always in the Top 5 and Tara in the Top 10 when it came to SoS, even in non-conference games.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I was also in bed, laptop on my chest, and watched this "click bait." People seem to forget that Dawn has lost as favorite more often than not. Botox I will not comment on. Other coaches have pointed out that Geno's coaching brilliance is most on display when he has to adjust a team due to injuries. We are seeing this again this season.
We as fans don't have to defend GENO--he does that very well! Our job is to stay with this teams ups and downs. For me, since the 1960's in the field house--the kids and the game is the thing. Once Geno got here, the men became secondary, but still "the men". Geno's precision in playing the game---set him apart from all others --forever. He'll win, he'll lose, but the game while faster and higher--is still just putting it in the hole more than the other guy. The arguments of Geno's championships or FF' are sickening--and a given. His team plays a game like no others.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think you’re right, and game dynamics have changed. I may be mistaken about this, but there seems to be more showboating, more taunting, more overt star culture than even 10 years ago. This may be what inevitably happens when the sport grows in popularity or it may be a temporary artifact of the portal, covid and NIL. I’m hoping for the latter, but that hope coming true may also accompany a contraction in national interest in WCBB.
the bottom line, i suspect, is that all you cite is largely fueled by the damn INTERNET, which has greatly enabled evil forces -- and jerks -- of the world to influence the popular culture these days, and sadly far too many folks are susceptible to following the dregs of popular culture.

yes, the BY is part of the Internet. ... happily, we have sensible people overseeing things here, and (most :() BYers are mature enough (i.e., old) and. intelligent enough not to fall prey to the 'net's dark shadows.

Reaction Score
I laugh...Geno is the all time best WCBB hands down. He has a legacy beyond WCBB..coaches, former players in the WNBA etc etc!! He is the all time #1 !!
I've been a fan of Uconn forever--I also have been one of U of Ark or Okla. Fandom has the right, almost the duty to think of themselves as the best of the best.. Sherry at Okla was their best. LSU--has the best money can buy. Dawn is trying desperately to be GENO of the new era. Lawson--is headed that way. Tara--amazing in what she gets from her teams. Each is the best in their pond.

Reaction Score
the bottom line, i suspect, is that all you cite is largely fueled by the damn INTERNET, which has greatly enabled evil forces -- and jerks -- of the world to influence the popular culture these days, and sadly far too many folks are susceptible to following the dregs of popular culture.

yes, the BY is part of the Internet. ... happily, we have sensible people overseeing things here, and (most :() BYers are mature enough (i.e., old) and. intelligent enough not to fall prey to the 'net's dark shadows.
A Marine defending the First Amendment, whom i respect, spoke my words in defense of the internet- first i is amazing. It's indecent, it angers, it informs, and YOU use it. It is what you allow it to be by selecting what you view.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
During the last stretch of failing to make the FF, 05-07, people claimed:

The talent pool was deeper and more spread out, making it harder for any program to dominate.

The talent coming out of high school has a more entitled attitude.

Auriemma was not suited/adaptable to the new breed of talent.

UConn’s days of dominance was forever behind them.

In other words, everything being said now is not new, it was said 18 years ago as well. Four championships and fourteen FFs later, Auriemma’s and UConn’s demise was totally off the mark.

Those criticisms will always be made during downturns. One of these days they actually will be true and the critics will pat themselves on the back. (Actually, the talent pool expanding still will not be true, it has been shrinking since 2003 for girls HS basketball).

Yet before we conclude they are true this time around let us see what happens if our starting line up and rotation remains stable for nearly a whole season for a change.

Reaction Score
I've been a fan of Uconn forever--I also have been one of U of Ark or Okla. Fandom has the right, almost the duty to think of themselves as the best of the best.. Sherry at Okla was their best. LSU--has the best money can buy. Dawn is trying desperately to be GENO of the new era. Lawson--is headed that way. Tara--amazing in what she gets from her teams. Each is the best in their pond.

Can you clarify the "trying to be Geno" point, please? If in regards to dominance, I get it to a certain extent. The trying desperately part doesn't make sense to me however.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom