Disrespect from the Athletic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disrespect from the Athletic

Reaction Score
I love Dawn Staley. She’s an amazing coach. I do believe Geno deserves the Coach of the Year though. To lose the five players UConn has lost and still be in the mix is amazing also. If any other team lost five key players they would be toast. Award’s don’t always go to the ‘best’ or ‘most deserving.’ Of course everyone fan thinks their coach is the best and most deserving. That doesn’t make it so. SC was projected to be good, they just blended together all season long. Can’t wait to see the tournaments!
I love Geno but he hasn't beaten a team this year that was better than his team. He didn't prepare his team to play against teams with length like they will have to do to win against Stanford and SC among others but most importantly all of his losses were blowout losses and ND is not a better team than UConn.

Dawn did more than any other coach in the country so she is deserving. That doesn't mean however that someone else out there isn't equally as deserving.

Reaction Score
Southern Call was 21st in both pre-season polls,

AP & Coaches PreSeason Rankings: Top 25 Polls - 2024 Women's College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com
I think we can agree that there is more than just Dawn for COY.

A poster brought up how there migh be too much blue-tinted glasses for UCONN on this site which another poster brought up - of course this is a UCONN board!!! :) However with that said-- you might see a little more favoritsm on here for Dawn because South Carolina has beaten UCONN while teams such as Stanford and USC have not. . . After all, this is a UCONN board. :)

And just for the record for this thread subject, Sabreena from The Athetic co-authored a link I provided previously that they had UCONN #1 ranked preseason. Though maybe Sabreena didn't agree with that small portion - I have no idea.

Reaction Score
Dawn reaaly deserved it, having 5 starters drafted and get the season she has got, no favoritism, just truth

Reaction Score
Not sure I'm buying that one, but I'll let the SC fans here defend Dawn.....
Yeah, maybe not 25 but surely 3-5. I think Dawn has obviously done a fine job But she has the best (by a substantial margin) roster and is fully healthy. I would say there are some coaches who have less talent and/or have faced adversity with their teams who may have done a better job. Pretty hard to mess up with a whole team full of All-Americans. However, I don’t really begrudge her as she has clearly become the preeminent coach in the country these past three years. I think ((and hope) she will have to share that distinction next season and beyond if Geno can finally get a healthy roster but there’s no question Dawn and her program have become the best in the country.

Reaction Score
If roles were reversed I’m sure you and many others would be touting Geno for the award, to many national flag blue tinted glasses here
If Geno had no injuries on this team at all and we were undefeated, meaning we beat Texas, NC St, SC, ND, and UCLA, I would think he did a great job as I also think he has done this year. As for COY, different story. Winning with a loaded team to me is not as praiseworthy as taking a program that was downtrodden, and leading them back to prominence or taking a team with less talent and leading them to greatness.

Reaction Score
If Geno had no injuries on this team at all and we were undefeated, meaning we beat Texas, NC St, SC, ND, and UCLA, I would think he did a great job as I also think he has done this year. As for COY, different story. Winning with a loaded team to me is not as praiseworthy as taking a program that was downtrodden, and leading them back to prominence or taking a team with less talent and leading them to greatness.
Would you have given Geno COY when Stewie was here? My vote would be for Coach Staley this season as well.

Reaction Score
There's many great coaches out there who have had to deal with a lot of adversity (losing players to the W, building up a weak program, injuries, etc.).

I'm as diehard a UConn fan as they come, but I really do think Dawn deserves to be in the top consideration for COTY. I did not believe SCar would be quite so dominant this season after losing some really good players. But they have consistently found a way to win and have even improved on prior weaknesses. I'm not saying this automatically makes Dawn the MOST deserving of COTY, but it has to count for something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom