Dishin & Swishin Podcast with Cheryl Reeve: Is she the best WNBA coach ever? | The Boneyard

Dishin & Swishin Podcast with Cheryl Reeve: Is she the best WNBA coach ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talking title with the Lynx head coach.

Now, a question for you, our listeners and readers, to ponder. Is Cheryl Reeve the greatest coach in the history of the WNBA?

Reeve was an assistant under Bill Laimbeer, Dan Hughes, and Anne Donovan on the pro level, Joe McKeown on the college level, and Geno Auriemma in USA Basketball, a tremendous pedigree.

In her six seasons as a head coach, all with the Lynx, Reeve has won 68 percent of her games; drop the first year’s 13-21 record and it balloons to 75 percent. Her winning percentage is the greatest in WNBA history. During that time Minnesota won the Western conference five out of six years, and won the WNBA championship four out of six years.

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/201...-lynxs-cheryl-reeve-the-best-wnba-coach-ever/

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think she has been blessed with some great inherited players, some luck in the lottery, and some very good trades. Ask that questioned again in say five years - but she is certainly very good.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
DT made her look better by sitting out this year. A Mercury team with DT would have won the title again this year.

Reaction Score
DT made her look better by sitting out this year. A Mercury team with DT would have won the title again this year.

Easy to say. Coach Reeve owns a very respectable record against Phoenix. It was only last year that Phoenix has had any success against the Lynx in the Reeve era.

Reaction Score
Easy to say. Coach Reeve owns a very respectable record against Phoenix. It was only last year that Phoenix has had any success against the Lynx in the Reeve era.

That's because last year Phoenix had a Griner/DT duo. It was just that one year Coach Reeve didn't do too well. That's not a coincidence.

Coach Reeve is excellent no doubt but as you and others have said- she has had the talent.

Reaction Score
Phil Jackson, Bill Bellicheck, Joe Torre, Pat Riley...does having "that player" make them less of a great coach?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Phil Jackson, Bill Bellicheck, Joe Torre, Pat Riley...does having "that player" make them less of a great coach?
Add Wooden to that list - And yes, I think you have to take into consideration both team and competition when comparing coaches and discussing 'best ever' categories. You also take into account rules - cap era, mound height, dead ball, NCAA format, free agency and its rules all come into dynastic comparisons. Not to mention nutritional/medical/chemical 'supplements' both legal and illegal.

Wooden vs. Coach K for example are/were operating in a vastly different environment. Geno vs. any future coach, or coaches from pre 2000 or vs. Wooden and Coach K - same thing. Celtics of the 60s vs. Bulls of Jackson - same issues.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That's because last year Phoenix had a Griner/DT duo. It was just that one year Coach Reeve didn't do too well. That's not a coincidence.

Coach Reeve is excellent no doubt but as you and others have said- she has had the talent.

Exactly. And Big Syl wasn't going to dominate BG like she did the much smaller Indy players. Minny won game two by 1 point when the ref gave them the game in the final seconds by calling a bogus foul. And that was without DT being on the floor. DT would have made the difference and lead Phoenix to a second straight title.

Reaction Score
Exactly. And Big Syl wasn't going to dominate BG like she did the much smaller Indy players. Minny won game two by 1 point when the ref gave them the game in the final seconds by calling a bogus foul. And that was without DT being on the floor. DT would have made the difference and lead Phoenix to a second straight title.

I'm sorry, but I forget, what happened in GAME ONE of that series? Was that the one that Phoenix blew a seven point lead after one quarter and was outscored by 14 the rest of the way? Yeah, you're right Minnesota would have had NO chance to beat Phoenix back on their home court in game three.

Reaction Score

I don't agree with the comparison to Phil and Bill. They've been on top for many years and had a turnover of teams.

I would disagree with anyone saying Torre or Riley is best coach ever too.

IMO way way too early to give Coach Reeve that distinction.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I forget, what happened in GAME ONE of that series? Was that the one that Phoenix blew a seven point lead after one quarter and was outscored by 14 the rest of the way? Yeah, you're right Minnesota would have had NO chance to beat Phoenix back on their home court in game three.

I don't think they would have had home court advantage. Maybe - but I don't think so. Arguable point for sure.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Apology accepted. I understand how quickly you could forget what a huge difference DT has on a team and its chances of winning big games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom