Disappointment | The Boneyard

Disappointment

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow This loss reminds me of our loss a few years ago to Arkansas. Im pretty sick reading some of these posts because it came across to me like our fans are crucifying our girls and coaches. Hey we lost. We lost because we couldnt contain Rivers who imo played unconscious as did Brooks coming off the bench plus we didnt rebound. Did fouls have something to do with it too yeah. We had a 9 pt lead early on which shouldve been more then we got in early foul trouble which made us defenseless. We couldnt afford to get in foul trouble and we did. That gave them the green light because we were forced to back off them or foul out. We shot the ball pretty well but not being able to rebound and not getting to the line enough also contributed to our loss.

NCS was ranked 8th in the ACC which leads me to believe they played way over their heads against us. We are a better team then we showed and imo we showed we werent ready for this game. This is a learning experience and a wake up call. We did not play up to our potential and they played over theirs based on their preseason ranking. So the only thing we can say is NEXT and thats Maryland.

If you look around WCBB there were alot of blow outs. Let me say this. I love UConn WCBB teams as do you. It hurts me to read some of the posts that really knock our team down. Our girls are hurting and to drag them down further with the tone of some of your posts I feel we should choose our words carefully. Hey I know you have that right and your disappointed... just saying it hurts me to read some of the things being said. The girls know they didnt play well and they know they shouldve won. They gonna hear it from the coaches they dont need to hear it from everybody else. We have some girls coming back from injury that really havent played much in a while and are still rusty. It may take a couple of games before we reach our potential and we will have to live with that. Im looking forward to the rest of the season and a run at number 12.

Reaction Score
Wow This loss reminds me of our loss a few years ago to Arkansas. Im pretty sick reading some of these posts because it came across to me like our fans are crucifying our girls and coaches. Hey we lost. We lost because we couldnt contain Rivers who imo played unconscious as did Brooks coming off the bench plus we didnt rebound. Did fouls have something to do with it too yeah. We had a 9 pt lead early on which shouldve been more then we got in early foul trouble which made us defenseless. We couldnt afford to get in foul trouble and we did. That gave them the green light because we were forced to back off them or foul out. We shot the ball pretty well but not being able to rebound and not getting to the line enough also contributed to our loss.

NCS was ranked 8th in the ACC which leads me to believe they played way over their heads against us. We are a better team then we showed and imo we showed we werent ready for this game. This is a learning experience and a wake up call. We did not play up to our potential and they played over theirs based on their preseason ranking. So the only thing we can say is NEXT and thats Maryland.

If you look around WCBB there were alot of blow outs. Let me say this. I love UConn WCBB teams as do you. It hurts me to read some of the posts that really knock our team down. Our girls are hurting and to drag them down further with the tone of some of your posts I feel we should choose our words carefully. Hey I know you have that right and your disappointed... just saying it hurts me to read some of the things being said. The girls know they didnt play well and they know they shouldve won. They gonna hear it from the coaches they dont need to hear it from everybody else. We have some girls coming back from injury that really havent played much in a while and are still rusty. It may take a couple of games before we reach our potential and we will have to live with that. Im looking forward to the rest of the season and a run at number 12.
Well said as always, @Tonyc.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Kinda hard to win and play our game when the FT comparison in the 2nd half is 28 versus 11 attempts for the game and 18 versus 2 in the second half. Plus State made 78% of their FTs.
That is disappointing.
(I am not voicing an opinion on the legitimacy of the fouls, just that the disparity is disappointing.)

Reaction Score
I think the unrealistic expectations put on this team by many posters hurts worse than the folks saying "slow your roll".

Geno is the one who annually states [paraphrasing] that UConn's goal is a national championship. Geno is the one who sets the expectations. Not the Boneyard members.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score

You are wrong about Rivers and Brooks playing unconscious and about NC State playing above their heads. Rivers and Brooks are both great players. Give them credit. They and the whole team played up to their potential.

Reaction Score
Geno played, essentially, only one big during the second half. And that big, despite her strengths, has a boatload of deficiencies that were covered up by her frontcourt teammates last year. Now you get Ice Brady iced for the second half. How will she learn from not playing. Coach her up and send her back out there. DeBerry seems to be someone who has not responded to Geno's coaching style, which is sort of monolithic. Look how ONO has progressed since she left UConn.

Imo, this is a team with a lot of weaknesses. But if Geno refuses to develop players and buries them on the bench, it's not going to cure those weaknesses.

Reaction Score
You are wrong about Rivers and Brooks playing unconscious. Rivers and Brooks are both great players. Give them credit. They played up to their potential.
Agree. Countless excellent players in WCBB these days.

Numerous potential All Americans on various teams. All American locks are healthy Bueckers, healthy Brink, and healthy Clark.

There will be negative fan reactions on social media to the various All American team announcements in March or April of 2024.

Similar to the negative fan reactions on social media after the WNBA MVP voting announcement for Stewie, Thomas, and Wilson.

Most teams have fanatics. Even the Jets, Giants, and Patriots this season. :oops:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You are wrong about Rivers and Brooks playing unconscious and about NC State playing above their heads. Rivers and Brooks are both great players. Give them credit. They and the whole team played up to their potential.
I will give them credit and they are great players I agree with you. They had great games against us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We lost because we couldnt contain Rivers
We lost because we missed shots we normally make. And I'm including chippies under the basket. That's not a failure of scheme, that's a failure of execution. It happens.

I do think that, for whatever reason, this team is a little psychologically vulnerable. After last season, where we practically needed to call fans out of the stands in order to be able to field a team, I feel like we are lacking that Connecticut swagger and are vulnerable to "cascading failure" when a few things go wrong for us. Geno needs to figure out how to buttress our confidence.

We lost a game, early in the season. That's fine, we will learn from it. I am a little concerned that yesterday's game was the template for how to beat us, if you have speedy guards. The cure to that is going to be getting our freshman experience, especially Samuels and Arnold.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with Naysayers. This is a fan post. Our players will get it together and still have a great season IMO. Criticism of coaches and players in natural. This game was a big disappointment. There may be more in the future. Nothing, however can undo the intentions and talent of our team. Our ladies have big hearts and are great. A little set back will only make them stronger. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
We all need to realize we were spoiled when there was no parity in the sport and could go out and beat everyone by 40+ every game. That's never going to happen again in the women's game, too much talent and it is being spread around differently. Especially with how easy it is to transfer and with NIL.

UConn still has enough talent to win a title this year. So do probably 8-10 other teams. There's also probably 40-50 teams in the country that could beat UConn on any given night.

Saniya Rivers was the #3 recruit in the country and transferred to NC State from SC. Zoe Brooks was an elite recruit. River Baldwin is a grad student with Team USA experience. Wes Moore is a fantastic coach.

You all make it sound like they lost to a low level D1 team. Perspective needs to change, expectations need to be tampered.

They played poorly yesterday. Against a good team on the road, playing poor isn't going to get you a win. That would be the case for every single team in the country. It is how the game is now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think allowing the NC State to score 92 points with minimal resistance was rather significant too
Lol, fair point. Still, if we make our open shots, particularly the chippies, we're looking at a 10 point lead at halftime. That changes the nature of the game and, perhaps, the girls wouldn't have played so tight in the second half.

Reaction Score
I think allowing the NC State to score 92 points with minimal resistance was rather significant too
Defense has been a hallmark of a several UConn WBB teams. Not just the championship teams. Hopefully this team joins those teams.

2013-14 was a rebounding and shot blocking machine with Stewie, Dolson, and Stokes. DPOY have had a lot to due with recent UConn Final Four teams (Dolson, Moriah, Gabby, and Nurse).

Reaction Score
As an ACC fan, that's what surprised me the most. I thought going in that NC State was underrated but I never thought they could score like that. It's true that, in many cases, defense wins championships. That's pretty much what Walz said in his post-game comments yesterday.

Reaction Score
We lost because we missed shots we normally make. And I'm including chippies under the basket. That's not a failure of scheme, that's a failure of execution. It happens.

I do think that, for whatever reason, this team is a little psychologically vulnerable. After last season, where we practically needed to call fans out of the stands in order to be able to field a team, I feel like we are lacking that Connecticut swagger and are vulnerable to "cascading failure" when a few things go wrong for us. Geno needs to figure out how to buttress our confidence.

We lost a game, early in the season. That's fine, we will learn from it. I am a little concerned that yesterday's game was the template for how to beat us, if you have speedy guards. The cure to that is going to be getting our freshman experience, especially Samuels and Arnold.
And, perhaps, getting Yanna Patterson back on the court... strength and leaping ability

Reaction Score
We all need to realize we were spoiled when there was no parity in the sport and could go out and beat everyone by 40+ every game. That's never going to happen again in the women's game, too much talent and it is being spread around differently.
Yep. Which is why their accomplishments will never be beat. The WBB world is totally different now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom