director of player engagement | Page 10 | The Boneyard

director of player engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The atheists law of silencing people is their version of a religious decree.

I am unaware of any, uh, "atheist law" silencing people praying. I think for many atheists, the problem is that having religious structures, like the Ten Commandments, on a courthouse wall, constitutes an establishment of Christianity as a state religion and would be considered illegal.

Nobody cares what you do on the privacy of your own lawn. Except your judgy neighborhood association.

Reaction Score
desmondconner1:49pm via twitterfeed
In The Huddle With The Huskies: A Clarification Post original url/L0D8wR

>>What’s goin’ on?

Well it appears some feathers were ruffled from the “ in the huddle” comment from UConn running backs coach/director of player engagement coach Ernest Jones in the Sunday Courant.

In the end Jones just wants the players on the team to have a good sense of morals in addition to being solid football players.

We need to be clear on this though and here’s a clarification, what Jones meant: if a player has a need to be in touch spiritually, whichever direction that is, the player will be able to reach out to Jones and he will be able to point him – or them – in the right direction; that you don’t have to disconnect from your faith – if you’re faith-based – because you’re away from home.

DC<<

desmondconner4:33pm via twitterfeed
UConn President Susan Herbst On Respecting All; Religions Post original url/L1f9O0

<<Folks here’s a statement from UConn president Susan Herbst regarding the in the Huddle comment from running backs coach/director of player personnel Ernest T, Jones.

From UConn….. Statement From UConn President Susan Herbst: “At public universities we value everyone in our community, and treat each person with the same degree of respect, regardless of who they are, what their background is, or what their beliefs may be. Every student, including student-athletes, must know they are accepted and welcomed at UConn. Always. Our staff should educate and guide students, to ensure they are well-prepared for life at UConn and beyond. But it should go without saying that our employees cannot appear to endorse or advocate for a particular religion or spiritual philosophy as part of their work at the university, or in their interactions with our students. This applies to work-related activity anywhere on or off campus, including on the football field. Our Athletic Director and Coach Diaco agree wholeheartedly with me, and have made this clear to their staff.”<<

Guess Des won't be getting any team intel from Jones for a while... ;)

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
desmondconner4:33pm via twitterfeed
UConn President Susan Herbst On Respecting All; Religions Post original url/L1f9O0

<<Folks here’s a statement from UConn president Susan Herbst regarding the in the Huddle comment from running backs coach/director of player personnel Ernest T, Jones.

From UConn….. Statement From UConn President Susan Herbst: “At public universities we value everyone in our community, and treat each person with the same degree of respect, regardless of who they are, what their background is, or what their beliefs may be. Every student, including student-athletes, must know they are accepted and welcomed at UConn. Always. Our staff should educate and guide students, to ensure they are well-prepared for life at UConn and beyond. But it should go without saying that our employees cannot appear to endorse or advocate for a particular religion or spiritual philosophy as part of their work at the university, or in their interactions with our students. This applies to work-related activity anywhere on or off campus, including on the football field. Our Athletic Director and Coach Diaco agree wholeheartedly with me, and have made this clear to their staff.”<<

Guess Des won't be getting any team intel from Jones for a while... ;)

Yeah, I'd say this means that the comment wasn't taken lightly by the President of the university. And also that the feedback which prompted it came from a lot more than just this thread on the BY.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not even two weeks on the job and having the university Prez publicly reprimand you, not good.

These players better be fully engaged for his sake!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Not even two weeks on the job and having the university Prez publicly reprimand you, not good.

These players better be fully engaged for his sake!

*blank* willing, all of this will blow over and he's back on Susan's *blank*mas card list very soon. *blank* forbid this becomes a real issue.

Reaction Score
Not even two weeks on the job and having the university Prez publicly reprimand you.

Many head football coaches make the choice to not allow media to speak with their assistants unless it's under highly controlled circumstances, if they even allow them to meet with media at all. I would be shocked to find out that any of the UCONN football coaching contracts other than Diaco's mandate media accessibility.

What we've all witnessed here, was Diaco's very first rookie head coaching mistake. I had feared that it was in his hiring of too many chiefs, but it seems that it was an indian that caused the problem.

At some point in the future, he will make the conscious choice to either allow his assistants access to media and will trust them with what they say, or he'll turn into a Randy Edsall (Bill Parcells) type, and his voice will be the only voice for his program. For now, he's got to be consistent, which means I don't think that media access to assistants would be restricted, but I guarantee that they will be very careful about what they say, and to whom from here on out. It's good that this kind of thing happens in the offseason, when only diehards are paying attention.

As for the concerns that others have had, the position and work this guy is going to do, has been done at two other public universities (Cincinnati and Central Michigan if I'm not mistaken) and I highly doubt that we've got a coaching staff hired here that has got a goal of being evangelical proselytizers and has for some reason changed what they did specifically for UCONN.

Yes, the things quoted in the media piece, were in line with that kind of evangelical thinking, but the concern that people have here, is born out their own biases, experiences and preconceived notions leading to conclusions, because the reality is that there is no reason to think that these coaches named, are trying to get our recruits and players to be born again Christians, following evangelical Christian belief systems.

The entire thing is the product of a beat reporters bad choice in writing, and most likely, without that media piece, there is no need for a supervisory speaking to and public address by the university president.

But it's done and overwith. I will now post only photos of beautiful women in this thread.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Many head football coaches make the choice to not allow media to speak with their assistants unless it's under highly controlled circumstances, if they even allow them to meet with media at all. I would be shocked to find out that any of the UCONN football coaching contracts other than Diaco's mandate media accessibility.

What we've all witnessed here, was Diaco's very first rookie head coaching mistake. I had feared that it was in his hiring of too many chiefs, but it seems that it was an indian that caused the problem.

At some point in the future, he will make the conscious choice to either allow his assistants access to media and will trust them with what they say, or he'll turn into a Randy Edsall (Bill Parcells) type, and his voice will be the only voice for his program. For now, he's got to be consistent, which means I don't think that media access to assistants would be restricted, but I guarantee that they will be very careful about what they say, and to whom from here on out. It's good that this kind of thing happens in the offseason, when only diehards are paying attention.

As for the concerns that others have had, the position and work this guy is going to do, has been done at two other public universities (Cincinnati and Central Michigan if I'm not mistaken) and I highly doubt that we've got a coaching staff hired here that has got a goal of being evangelical proselytizers and has for some reason changed what they did specifically for UCONN.

Yes, the things quoted in the media piece, were in line with that kind of evangelical thinking, but the concern that people have here, is born out their own biases, experiences and preconceived notions leading to conclusions, because the reality is that there is no reason to think that these coaches named, are trying to get our recruits and players to be born again Christians, following evangelical Christian belief systems.

The entire thing is the product of a beat reporters bad choice in writing, and most likely, without that media piece, there is no need for a supervisory speaking to and public address by the university president.

But it's done and overwith. I will now post only photos of beautiful women in this thread.

Well?

Reaction Score
Heather Graham.jpg

Yes. There is a God.

Reaction Score
I am unaware of any, uh, "atheist law" silencing people praying. I think for many atheists, the problem is that having religious structures, like the Ten Commandments, on a courthouse wall, constitutes an establishment of Christianity as a state religion and would be considered illegal.

Nobody cares what you do on the privacy of your own lawn. Except your judgy neighborhood association.

You do know the ten commandments were established by the Jews followed by Jesus as Jesus was a Jew, and respected by the Muslims...so again and lets be honest here, its not the ten commandments that atheists find fault with but the ones with Thou shalt not have any God(s) before me, or Thou Shalt not use the Lord's name in vain, which by the way ...I would dare anyone religious or not to do that in a courtroom...profanity of any kind is not welcome. And my last point on this issue, If Christians were to put up a commandment in a court house, which one would it be...How about none of the ten but the 11th that Jesus gave to us...Love one another as I have loved you! ...And would that be really bad, I mean if Buddha or Gandhi or Mohammad said that quote, it might be allowed because most people wouldn't know who it came from. If Martin Luther King said it, everyone would want it posted. But Martin Luther King was a religious man - so lets not make any exceptions. My point is, that most people if you remove the religious connotation would have to agree with most if not all of the messages of the ten commandments. I love that the highest point in Waterbury CT is a cross overlooking the mix master. Why, in many other communities the highest point is a jail or a dump site...I wonder which of the three each of us on this board would rather see???

Reaction Score
The core lesson of the judeochristian religion is simple and it's one line and it's one of few fundamental truths, I believe. .

Do to others as you would have done to you.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when you get a couple of coaches from a Catholic school. Next step will be Diaco having a pre game mass.

Reaction Score

I've never been able to reconcile the Golden Rule with the concept of proselytyzing. If I don't want someone of another faith telling me I've got it all wrong--why would I try convincing them to see it my way?

Reaction Score
The core lesson of the judeochristian religion is simple and it's one line and it's one of few fundamental truths, I believe. .

The core belief of all three Abrahamic religions seems to be the same to me -- believe as I believe or suffer forever.

Tolerance ain't part of the program. If you want to be rewarded with eternal life, you'd best have the same beliefs I do. Otherwise?

Well, God's love only goes so far.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You do know the ten commandments were established by the Jews followed by Jesus as Jesus was a Jew, and respected by the Muslims...so again and lets be honest here, its not the ten commandments that atheists find fault with but the ones with Thou shalt not have any God(s) before me, or Thou Shalt not use the Lord's name in vain, which by the way ........Why, in many other communities the highest point is a jail or a dump site...I wonder which of the three each of us on this board would rather see???

As anyone who has seen that movie, it started out as 15 Commandments but Moses dropped one of the tablets making it 10. And what about those "covet" commandements? Do you know how bad the economy would be if the one about the "goods" was followed? And as far as the one about "thy neighbor's wife" goes, like George Carlin said "What else are going to think about when you're waxing your carrot?"

And as an occaisional traveller on I-84, I know what I would rather see up there in Waterbury, a diner that serves good corned beef hash.

Reaction Score
You do know the ten commandments were established by the Jews followed by Jesus as Jesus was a Jew, and respected by the Muslims...

I know Christians like to say "Jesus was a Jew" because it's a way of pretending like Christians and Jews totally get along and believe practically the same thing...

... but when you go around calling yourself the savior and Son of God.. you're not a very good Jew.

Reaction Score
Well maybe you should reread the article about guiding them to their faiths. Desmond clarified what he said today, but you and others are just out to push your political correct agenda
I've never been able to reconcile the Golden Rule with the concept of proselytyzing. If I don't want someone of another faith telling me I've got it all wrong--why would I try convincing them to see it my way?
It is not a politically correct agenda, it is an intelligently correct agenda. Stop believing in fairy tales!

Reaction Score
Diaco belives in investing in the WHOLE person. When players get that he really cares about them, guess what is going to happen? It's called WINNING! Unselfish team concepts where players encourage each other to be the best they can be for the sake of team. You see it in Shabazz Napier's maturation. It's called character. Calhoun was and is Father figure to him and Kevin Ollie is his big brother. Look how he has thrived! He didn't have one point in the first half against Temple but did you see those assists! Shabazz has a family at Storrs. Gino's girls past, present and future are all family. Really talented but that passion for winning helped last years team overcome three straight losses to Notre Dame and win the National Championship.

Look what Diaco is up to with his guys!
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022114aaa.html

Bob Diaco reminds me of John Wooden.
http://www.woodencourse.com/woodens_wisdom.html

images

When you see Bob Diaco brimming with confidence, it's because he believes in these types of principles and knows that this is the key component in developing a consistently winning program. Still have to recruit, block and tackle but these concepts are real and win championships. Love is a big part of it. You saw it when the US Hockey team won the Gold by beating the Soviet Union and then Finland in 1980. They were not the best or most talented team. You see it on the Ryder cup team when a bunch of individual spoiled golfers come together. You see it at Gampel and you will see it more at Rentschler.

This was to be part of Ernest Jones role but you know what. I have confidence that Bob Diaco will get the right person for the job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to Dez:

"what Jones meant: if a player has a need to be in touch spiritually, whichever direction that is, the player will be able to reach out to Jones and he will be able to point him – or them – in the right direction; that you don’t have to disconnect from your faith – if you’re faith-based – because you’re away from home."

Sounds like the fears of some on this board were justified, and Jews, atheists, Muslims, and maybe Catholics will not be welcome in the program. Clearly this is more evidence that Jones is pushing his religious views down the throats of the players.

#fireJones

then I guess John Wooden, arguable the greatest coach in college history would not be wanted at UCONN either as Wooden would instill the same fear in many non Christians. The thing people are missing is you can display Christian principles without saying Jesus. Jones might have misspoken in a liberal blue state but his intentions were noble and good.

Be true to yourself, help others, make each day your masterpiece, make friendship a fine art, drink deeply from good books - especially the Bible, build a shelter against a rainy day, give thanks for your blessings and pray for guidance every day.
John Wooden

It became a model for personal and team excellence that produced the greatest dynasty in the history of American sports, the greatest Coach in American sports history and the life of a true American treasure. It also became a "behavioral blueprint" for tens of thousands of successful Americans from all walks of life. As Coach Wooden often taught: If you will work hard… love what you do… be friendly, loyal and cooperative… maintain your self-control… be alert… take initiative… be intent on achieving your goals… stay conditioned (mentally, morally and physically)… develop your skills to execute both quickly and properly… exhibit team spirit which starts with consideration for others… display poise by just being yourself… then you will have the confidence that comes through intense preparation and maximum effort. From all this you will become a great competitor that enjoys the difficult challenge and is able to give their best, when their best is needed. Blend in a proper amount of patience and faith and you have found the formula for "true success". As defined by Coach Wooden, "Success is peace of mind that comes from the self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best you are capable of becoming".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What comes first for success? All of Wooden's happy horesh1t or the fact that UCLA paid the most for all the best players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom