director of player engagement | Page 11 | The Boneyard

director of player engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:
then I guess John Wooden, arguable the greatest coach in college history would not be wanted at UCONN either as Wooden would instill the same fear in many non Christians. The thing people are missing is you can display Christian principles without saying Jesus. Jones might have misspoken in a liberal blue state but his intentions were noble and good.

Be true to yourself, help others, make each day your masterpiece, make friendship a fine art, drink deeply from good books - especially the Bible, build a shelter against a rainy day, give thanks for your blessings and pray for guidance every day.
John Wooden

It became a model for personal and team excellence that produced the greatest dynasty in the history of American sports, the greatest Coach in American sports history and the life of a true American treasure. It also became a "behavioral blueprint" for tens of thousands of successful Americans from all walks of life. As Coach Wooden often taught: If you will work hard… love what you do… be friendly, loyal and cooperative… maintain your self-control… be alert… take initiative… be intent on achieving your goals… stay conditioned (mentally, morally and physically)… develop your skills to execute both quickly and properly… exhibit team spirit which starts with consideration for others… display poise by just being yourself… then you will have the confidence that comes through intense preparation and maximum effort. From all this you will become a great competitor that enjoys the difficult challenge and is able to give their best, when their best is needed. Blend in a proper amount of patience and faith and you have found the formula for "true success". As defined by Coach Wooden, "Success is peace of mind that comes from the self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best you are capable of becoming".

Wooden also reportedly said, ""Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights."

It sound like Wooden and Herbst would have gotten along well.

Reaction Score
I know Christians like to say "Jesus was a Jew" because it's a way of pretending like Christians and Jews totally get along and believe practically the same thing...

... but when you go around calling yourself the savior and Son of God.. you're not a very good Jew.
He was a better Jew than all of them. He was perfect.

Reaction Score
images

Here are two Florida teammates who won a BCS championship. This Florida team was not built entirely by the likes of #15. So how did it happen? Who was responsible? I think it is important to have a mentor to help these young men to grow upon the foundation they have already hopefully received from home. If there is a fractured foundation, then help the young man to grow to make good decisions and to allow him to make his own choices. Although I am a Christian, I do not believe that my faith in is going to make our Huskies better football players. I think Jones is new to this and doesn't fully grasp yet what he needs to do to bring a diverse group of young impressionable men together to build a strong team both on and off the field. Hopefully he will retract his statement and provide assurances that this coaching staff wants to recruit young men with potential to be the best they can be both body and mind and that we are not going to be Christian recruiters as the quote implies.
The virgin and the serial killer. Organized religion has no place in politics and collegiate athletics.

Reaction Score
What comes first for success? All of Wooden's happy horesh1t or the fact that UCLA paid the most for all the best players?
I so totally agree. John Wooden was an outstanding coach and a good man who instilled some good virtues in his players but a major part of his "greatness" was having some booster steer the best of the best student athletes to UCLA and also having a distinct advantage in the NCAA tournament, having to do very little travel and play a limited amount of games to win a title. What kind of success would he have had if he came to UConn in 1985 with basically a leaky barn (field house) as a recruiting tool. If the NCAA had done what it should have done in 1963 or 1964, would we even know who John Wooden was???? A good coach who occasionally made a decent run in the NCAA tournament?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom