OT: - DIII sports experience | The Boneyard

OT: DIII sports experience

Reaction Score
My plan of sending daughter #1 to UConn is in danger of being derailed by the possibility of her playing D3 hoops. She's a 2024 and has interest from a few high academic schools in the NESCAC and NEWMAC.

Has anyone had kids that have played D3 hoops "locally"? Was the experience worth the extra $40-50k a year.

She's a huge sports fan and is torn about going to a D1 school (UConn, Clemson, UNC) and enjoying the sports environment and playing club hoops, trying to be a manager or something.... OR going small to continue playing on a real college team

I cant be the first to go through this... just looking for any insight

Reaction Score
I had one daughter who had a ( very) few D-1 basketball options at lower academic institutions. She opted for a NESCAC school and decided after getting there that the time commitment was still too much. The NESCAC footprint is just close enough to have bus trips to all games but some of the trips were pretty long with late night returns home. The NEWMAC isn't quite as spread out so it might not be that bad. ( also with Smith, Mt. Holyoke and Wellesley ,there won't be any Men's and Women's doubleheaders that run later) My other daughter was a swimmer but swim meets were always on Saturdays so the travel wasn't an issue. The time commitment was entirely different and it didn't infringe on her studies at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My plan of sending daughter #1 to UConn is in danger of being derailed by the possibility of her playing D3 hoops. She's a 2024 and has interest from a few high academic schools in the NESCAC and NEWMAC.

Has anyone had kids that have played D3 hoops "locally"? Was the experience worth the extra $40-50k a year.

She's a huge sports fan and is torn about going to a D1 school (UConn, Clemson, UNC) and enjoying the sports environment and playing club hoops, trying to be a manager or something.... OR going small to continue playing on a real college team

It's an interesting choice, isn't it? Being a part of a team in college is something special and speaks greatly to her dedication and athleticism. On the other hand being at a high major D1 sports school is special as well. Being able to sit in a packed Gampel arena with 10,000 screaming fans is also something special.

I took a similar attitude to yours regarding my kids college education. Whichever school they wanted to go to was fine by me and I had the luxury of being able to support that choice. If she will be taking out loans to finance her education, I'd ask her whether she really wants to be $200,000 in the hole when she graduates.

I see pros and cons to either decision. And I wish her, and you, well and I'm sure it'll work out no matter what is decided. Let us know the outcome.

Reaction Score
My two cents.. As someone who's coached varsity hoops in CT and MA, I always cringe when a kid goes prep. Now this take is a little different than what you're looking for - but I think it will apply.

This was not a thing 10 years ago, but it's rather prevalent now. Parents pulling kids out of high school and sending them to prep because they think it's a panacea that will get them to college basketball. Sometimes these kids get some scholarship money coming to the prep, and sometimes they go D-2 which is great, perhaps on scholarship.

Then there's the other side of it.

Parents paying all that extra money for prep school when the kid could have gone to high school for free - on top of then paying for four years of college at a D-3.

In your case, you're only getting the last part. I think D-3 is an outstanding level of basketball. If the school has her major and she's committed to hoops, that's going to be an outstanding 4 years of school for her as well as you.

It's the "other" part that parents get caught up in that derails them financially.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting choice, isn't it? Being a part of a team in college is something special and speaks greatly to her dedication and athleticism. On the other hand being at a high major D1 sports school is special as well. Being able to sit in a packed Gampel arena with 10,000 screaming fans is also something special.

I took a similar attitude to yours regarding my kids college education. Whichever school they wanted to go to was fine by me and I had the luxury of being able to support that choice. If she will be taking out loans to finance her education, I'd ask her whether she really wants to be $200,000 in the hole when she graduates.

I see pros and cons to either decision. And I wish her, and you, well and I'm sure it'll work out no matter what is decided. Let us know the outcome.
FWIW, most, but not all of the NEWMAC and NESCAC schools offer Academic scholarships that are really disguised athletic scholarships. They aren't full or even half rides but they can be significant.

Reaction Score
My two cents.. As someone who's coached varsity hoops in CT and MA, I always cringe when a kid goes prep. Now this take is a little different than what you're looking for - but I think it will apply.

This was not a thing 10 years ago, but it's rather prevalent now. Parents pulling kids out of high school and sending them to prep because they think it's a panacea that will get them to college basketball. Sometimes these kids get some scholarship money coming to the prep, and sometimes they go D-2 which is great, perhaps on scholarship.

Then there's the other side of it.

Parents paying all that extra money for prep school when the kid could have gone to high school for free - on top of then paying for four years of college at a D-3.

In your case, you're only getting the last part. I think D-3 is an outstanding level of basketball. If the school has her major and she's committed to hoops, that's going to be an outstanding 4 years of school for her as well as you.

It's the "other" part that parents get caught up in that derails them financially.
Going prep is necessary for some kids in CT and MA, the public school competition simply isn't good enough these days.

Reaction Score
My son went to Hamilton, D3 NESCAC. He played club level soccer there and enjoyed his experience. Now he goes to USC for law school and they have what are potentially Top 10 D1 teams in both football and basketball. For my son, the D1 environment is more exciting. I bought him season tickets for football. Thrilled that he gets to experience this.

Reaction Score
In my experience a good D3 program is usually better than a D2 program, at least in the northeast. Some of these D2 basketball teams are complete messes and they would lose to the good d3 teams half the time if they played. There are many quality D3 programs in the northeast and it sounds like she found one.

Reaction Score
I have a kid that could have played at a low level D3 (soccer). He didn't have an interest because he isn't a small school guy, didn't love soccer enough for the effort once in AND couldn't get into the type of school that would make me push him to consider it. My philosophy has always been that unless you are looking to make a career out of your sport, use it to better whatever your career will be.

My daughter is looking at the Small Liberal Arts Schools (SLA) including NESCAC and others. She actually hasn't felt like she'd fit in at the NESCAC schools so she's looking at a few of the small D1 schools (she would NOT be an athlete at any level). The NESCAC schools are all great schools. But if your daughter has a shot at UNC then she'd probably get into most of those schools (or have a shot) anyway. Those are such different schools (UNC vs. NESCAC) that she has to decide what would make her happier. I know my son would have been miserable at an SLA and I don't think he could have handled it academically. We would've been better off with my daughter being the better athlete.

Second-hand scenario: I have a good friend whose son went through your scenario. His son got into a top 10 SLA school for baseball. He LOVES baseball, but he's a relatively mainstream guy and some of the SLA schools aren't full of mainstream guys. He decided to go to the SLA because: i) he loved baseball; ii) the school is great; and iii) it's much easier to transfer out of a school like that to a great public school than it is the other way around (and he'd never be able to transfer to the small school and play baseball).

One thing I have noticed is that at the artsy SLA schools, the athletes tend to be a bit more mainstream and have their own social circle. Almost like its own Greek system.

Reaction Score
Being a student manager for a high D1 sports team is usually a great experience and might scratch your daughter's sport itch. I know the UConn football guys were at all the practices and traveled to all the games, was a great way to see different cities while being part of a major athletic program. Some programs also offer partial scholarships/free books to the managers too. They also have 'practice player' spots for the basketball team that she might be interested in - assuming she would be qualified if shes being looked at for D3

Reaction Score
FWIW, most, but not all of the NEWMAC and NESCAC schools offer Academic scholarships that are really disguised athletic scholarships. They aren't full or even half rides but they can be significant.
My kids went/go to a NESCAC school and looked at most of them when choosing a college. All offer financial aid but I believe Trinity, and maybe Conn College, are the only ones who offer academic scholarships. Pretty sure about that. And with most of the NESCAC schools the admissions is need blind (they don't take financial aid into consideration with the admissions process).

To the OP, neither of my kids played varsity sports at their D3 school but I have lots of friends whose kids do/did at the D3 level. It's all a preference for the individual student. I would focus more on the academic/social side and what will make her happy. Will she be happier at a small school or a big school? How important is playing a varsity sport to your daughter? Is it worth spending $160,000 for 4 years? I will tell you that a decent proportion of D3 athletes quit their sport before they are seniors. The time commitment for D3 sports these days is much greater than when we were in college. If you're not playing much then a lot of kids just decide it's not worth the commitment any more. If you're at a NESCAC school then you're there for academics and the athletics is a side thing.

I just don't think there's anything anyone can tell you that will steer you one way or the other. It's all a student's preference. It's their life for 4 years.

Reaction Score
We had three sons go to top academic schools and all three were involved in DIII sports. Two swimmers and the other ended up in crew after looking at golf and swimming. While the sports component of college was fantastic and it enhanced their experiences. The education was the key along with close lifelong friendships they have developed. Both the wife and I are UConn alums which we cherish but I think the academics/size and a number of other intangibles clearly was the best of situation for them.

Do not make any assumption on costs or get hung up on the sticker prices of colleges. Look for schools with substantial endowments. They are prone to having the ability to heavily discount the costs depending on the need. For example all three colleges our sons went to no longer have student debt as part of the expectation. That is a huge advantage starting out after 4 years in college. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I was in the same boat 5 years ago. My volleyball playing daughter had the credentials to play at the D1 level (All-State, All-Courant, All-Conference, POY, State Championship, State Tournament MVP) but wanted a complete college experience. In D1, doesn't matter the school or the sport, all your time is owned by the coach. To her, it wasn't worth it. She stepped one foot on the campus of Endicott College and the deal was done. Let me tell you, it was the most wonderful ride imaginable.

DIII taught her time management. There was time where she had to be 100% dedicated to VB and time where she had to be 100% dedicated to the classroom. It was the best of both worlds. She was able to put in hard work on both. Graduated in 5 years (losing 1 VB season to COVID) with a Master's degree. She was able to, and encouraged to, work her butt off in the class room and on the court. One wasn't sacrificed for the other.

As a parent, it was enjoyable too. Endicott plays in the Commonwealth Coast Conference. The longest conference road trip is to Biddeford, ME. The school also routinely scheduled OOC games against some combination of Middlebury, Amherst, MIT, Tufts, Springfield, Babson, Bowdoin, Wesleyan, Wellesley. We also travelled to Georgia and Los Angeles on special trips. She also played for Team USA in a DIII tour of Brazil. In 5 years, we went to every game she played including 3 NCAA appearances! I can't say enough good things about Endicott or DIII competition. Oh about the competition...it is surprisingly good. Why? Because all those schools I just mentioned recruit nationally! The MIT VB team is stacked with SoCal players talented enough to play at Stamford but lacking the required height of 6'6". (I kid) They choose MIT because it leaves them time to play the sport they love while getting a half decent education. Scan the rosters of those schools and you'll rarely see another New England player.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, she walked of the court and into a career based upon a relationship that started during her HS recruitment and continued through college. It's a very small community, everybody knows everybody.

In a nutshell, I feel DIII sports is the epitome of what collegiate sports is supposed to be. My wife and I are thrilled she got a chance to experience it. It was a beautiful ride!

Reaction Score
Literally 100% inaccurate, if you play fall/spring AAU you get literally the same amount of eyes on you.
Lolz, it's about playing tough competition. There are great individual players in CT, outside of a few teams the competition is just bad. Playing against the best makes you better, there's plenty of prep options nearby which offer that.

Reaction Score

1. When my older son went to Trinity, we bought season tickets for the men at the Civic Center, and he got his big school sports that way.

2. I know more than one person who was a basketball manager for a big time school. It can be a good experience.

3. I don't know what anyone will tell you that will help you decide if the added cost of a private education, if it's paid mostly so she could play basketball, is worth it. But I can tell you that having sent two children to expensive private schools, no way would I have paid the differential to a state school if they were going to the private school primarily not for academic reasons but to play a sport.

Reaction Score
Lolz, it's about playing tough competition. There are great individual players in CT, outside of a few teams the competition is just bad. Playing against the best makes you better, there's plenty of prep options nearby which offer that.
Wholeheartedly disagree, while there are exceptions, this is not an accurate take.

Reaction Score
I film a ton of NESCAC sporting events and have visited quite a few of the schools. A lot of the schools (Conn, Bates, Bowdoin, Trinity, Wesleyan, etc) are pretty expensive still and there's no doubt that there is still a HUGE time commitment being on a team, even if it's not the same as a D1 school would be. I filmed NESCAC swimming championship and those kids were basically stuck in an athletic building from Thursday to Sunday after bussing all the way there.

That being said, it seems like all of the kids absolutely love being part of the team and there's a pretty big family atmosphere surrounding most of the programs I've seen. I don't really do a ton of basketball games, but for sports like soccer, field hockey, softball, a lot of parents will throw almost like a mini tailgate after the game so the players can have some food and hang out.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I don't know who's fronting the extra 40k but if it's you or her, it's probably better to go to UConn. She can still try out to be a walk-on the team or play intramural and she doesn't have to go into unnecessary debt.

Reaction Score
My daughter played basketball in the NEWMAC the last three years. We encouraged her to quit so she can experience the other great opportunities available to her. The time commitment was ridiculous and they weren’t even that good. Honestly as parents we don’t think it was worth it.

My is a rising sophomore, D1 athlete and we’re encouraging him to consider leaving the team to focus on academics and other opportunities.

Reaction Score
In my experience a good D3 program is usually better than a D2 program, at least in the northeast. Some of these D2 basketball teams are complete messes and they would lose to the good d3 teams half the time if they played. There are many quality D3 programs in the northeast and it sounds like she found one.

As of 2014 when I graduated, this is completely inaccurate in every sense of the word. So it might be outdated, but no. Not even close. We destroyed every D3 team we exhibitioned against by like 35 and they were good northeast d3 teams. Bigger, better, stronger at every position. I had teammates from HS go D3 and they were hot garnage compared to me in the CCC. And I barely ever played on a D2 team.

D2 schools in the northeast are offering full scolarahips for any decent player these days (they get 11 total). D3 offers a decent amount of aid but you're still looking at 100k+ of debt. More for most.

Advantage of d3 is way better academics and in retrospect I wonder if I should've gone to one for it. I had most of my college for free, but it wasn't a very good school.

Would be curious to hear other HS coaches thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My overall advice would be to make the best academic decision, even if that means playing a club team instead of D3. Or to play D3 vs D2 for academics, or whatever.

I have seen A LOT of kdis be miserable because they made a sports-first decision instead of the best college for their aspirations outside of sports. Find the right college first, and focus on sports second. The point of college is to be prepared for life and career--sports can't get in the way of that.

At the end of the day, D3 sports are just a time consuming hobby with a cool looking uniform. TONS of D3 kids quit when they realize the time commitment and real life starts to hit junior or senior year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks everyone....

As far as high school....She's at a large public school in the SCC. She was an All-Conference player as a junior and just had a monster AAU season which is what brought this chatter about. Sending her to prep school was never even a thought, the top half of the SCC is very good and she plays on a legit AAU team. Up until last year, she was all-in on UConn or other top D1 schools to just be a fan and maybe walk-on/manager.

Like most 16 year olds... she has no idea what she wants to do as an adult... she's all over the place ...Finance, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Sports Management

Now with the interest from these D3's, I'm feeling that most are Liberal Arts schools and when she's looking at the potential course work, she doesn't get excited. Granted, I get it, Wesleyan, Trinity, etc... are great schools, but it feels like she'd struggle to find a major she'd love. (Babson is the exception at this point... any Babson parents??)

I love the Endicott story as well, she was just there on Saturday :)

Bottom Line... I'm feeling like she would choose any of the D3's for hoops only and then try to make the education fit...which is obviously a costly gamble. :)

My wife (Clemson) and I (UConn) are both products of huge D1 public schools and we loved it. Her high school is bigger than some of these privates

Reaction Score

I had the same conversation with my grandson . Only in his case he was a Freshman at a D2 school .
He was a good basketball player in HS and discovered he could hang with the scholarship players . Although he probably wouldn’t play there he believed he could start for a D3 school . He asked my advice about transferring. I told him the only way he goes was if they gave him substantial needs money which was difficult with both his parents working or that they transferred 100% of credits insuring he would graduate without an extra year and a an added cost of $50-60K . He thought it over decided he liked where he was and proceeded to win the intramural championships and still played pickup games with the scholarship guys . He graduated in 4 years . Is the national sales manager for a New England Co and soon to be Dad at 32.
Now my nephew a Big OT like me and a great student , not like me , of a single mom got almost full tuition at a prestigious D3 school and recently graduated and is working for a Boston firm .
With the huge expense unless your of unlimited means how her future debt impacts her life is a bigger issue than essentially playing for fun at a D3 level.
It’s all about the money .
A side note my other grandson an excellent soccer player with extreme speed , not inherited from me , didn’t play at all in college because of the intensity of education required in his field . He still plays in the top amateur league in the NE against former D1 and foreign born players and lead his team in scoring . So if you love a sport you can find ways to play that don’t hurt your future .
Hopefully that helped

Reaction Score
Like most 16 year olds... she has no idea what she wants to do as an adult... she's all over the place ...Finance, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Sports Management.

My (probably useless) 2 cents here.

Having 1000 majors to choose from isn't always a good thing. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter near as much as you'd think... so if she does want to play basketball, she can make any of those career paths work at a SLAC.

From what you're describing, D3 might not be the best option IMO though. If she truly has no idea what she wants to do, why go to a schools that going to put you in the hole 60k+ year just to play a game? Unless money isn't an issue, then go for it.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom