Did Tough Love Work With Megan Walker? | The Boneyard

Did Tough Love Work With Megan Walker?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
To my untrained eye, the answer from today’s Temple game is clearly yes. Today, she played the game that everyone (including Geno and her teammates) knew she was capable of, including 5 assists (second only to Gabby’s 11). Whether she was playing with the starters or the reserves, she played at a consistently high level.

I’m sure Geno is thinking (and may even say publicly), “OK, she had her great game today. Now she’s due for a stinker against Memphis.” I won’t be surprised if he says that, nor will I be surprised if it motivates her to prove him wrong (which I think explains much of what happened today), and she has another good game against the Tigers.

She would only be the umpteenth High School All-American on whom this approach has worked.

I know that the management courses say that managers should praise publicly and criticize privately, but I also know (and have had in my career) several effective managers who pay no attention to that maxim, and get good results. So it’s not entirely surprising that Geno does also. I think there are several reasons why it works with him: (a) the assistant coaches and older players help the “victim” work through it; (b) Geno himself will be the first to note her progress when he sees solid evidence of it (more than just one game); and (c) the recruits know Geno’s style and what results it has produced, and how much past players have benefitted from it in their later careers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Offensively, she is very good. Her defense needs alot of work but it will get there (I am guessing Sophomore year). She is just too physically gifted and motivated to not become an elite defensive player

Reaction Score
Walker has had some great moments in other games..............in my mind she just needs consistent court time with the starters to show her stuff...........if she gets pulled every time she makes a mistake it will seriously stunt her growth..........if she gets 20-25 minutes a game she'll show her true value to the team

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno sent a message to MW and the reserves after Tulsa. He will be very positive after today’s game. Hopefully, she turned the corner today. I know I’m extremely relieved to see her have a breakout game.

Reaction Score
Walker has had some great moments in other games....in my mind she just needs consistent court time with the starters to show her stuff......if she gets pulled every time she makes a mistake it will seriously stunt her growth.....if she gets 20-25 minutes a game she'll show her true value to the team

exactly. certainly not the first time she's played well. not tough love, just court time.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I’m sure Geno is thinking (and may even say publicly), “OK, she had her great game today. Now she’s due for a stinker against Memphis.”

I believe Geno is thinking can I consistently get this kind of performance from Walker in every game? Not 20+ points but 10+ points per game and a good all-around game on offense and defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I believe Geno is thinking can I consistently get this kind of performance from Walker in every game? Not 20+ points but 10+ points per game and a good all-around game on offense and defense.

Defense takes time so I would not expect too much as a freshman. If Megan looks confident (i.e she thinks she belongs here) on offense and makes impact on the boards, she will be in the rotation. We have seen enough that there is no reason she should not be able to do that. It is all in her control and she needs to internalize that. No more "freshman fear"

Reaction Score
Megan was mentally with it today...flashes of the player she'll be. Still cannot stay in front of a driving guard, though...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To my untrained eye, the answer from today’s Temple game is clearly yes. Today, she played the game that everyone (including Geno and her teammates) knew she was capable of, including 5 assists (second only to Gabby’s 11). Whether she was playing with the starters or the reserves, she played at a consistently high level.

I’m sure Geno is thinking (and may even say publicly), “OK, she had her great game today. Now she’s due for a stinker against Memphis.” I won’t be surprised if he says that, nor will I be surprised if it motivates her to prove him wrong (which I think explains much of what happened today), and she has another good game against the Tigers.

She would only be the umpteenth High School All-American on whom this approach has worked.

I know that the management courses say that managers should praise publicly and criticize privately, but I also know (and have had in my career) several effective managers who pay no attention to that maxim, and get good results. So it’s not entirely surprising that Geno does also. I think there are several reasons why it works with him: (a) the assistant coaches and older players help the “victim” work through it; (b) Geno himself will be the first to note her progress when he sees solid evidence of it (more than just one game); and (c) the recruits know Geno’s style and what results it has produced, and how much past players have benefitted from it in their later careers.
Nice posting--upbeat/positive.
Megan was and is a talent, few I believe doubt that. But I for one have NOT seen much prior to Uconn of M. Coombs or Lexi Gordon or Touly. I must say from my observations these past games Lexi isn't ready for prime time yet and Touly has issues, I have no clue of what they may be, nor do I care. Thats between her and the coaches.
But Coombs , while making Frosh errors, has GAME, is fast, and will at some point be a nice fill in for Danger--this year or next.
Back to Walker. If a message was sent to M Walker--it was received. She once again buckled down and played really good Defense. On offense she was more often than not in the right place at the right time.
I said this a long while ago--so I'll stumble on my beard (again), and say : Uconn has found the 7 th piece to Geno's perplexing puzzle--who shall 8th be?

Reaction Score
Walker has had some great moments in other games....in my mind she just needs consistent court time with the starters to show her stuff......if she gets pulled every time she makes a mistake it will seriously stunt her growth.....if she gets 20-25 minutes a game she'll show her true value to the team

I feel like your choir! Confidence is huge in Div 1--This current crunch of injured/disabled starters--with a bit of the FOUL thing raising it's ugly head--the REAL need for 2 more--is evident. Megan will more and more see REAL time--whether that happens with USC or Louisville (the proof she has arrived games) remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
Meghan was mentally with it today...flashes of the player she'll be. Still cannot stay in front of a driving guard, though...
Not many players can. The game is designed for the offensive player. I can count how many times the experts on this forum have gone to the ever ready "she cant stop a driving guard" statement. Guards are guards for a reason. NBA guards have trouble stopping a driving guard. In my opinion yall need give that a rest. Not saying players can not improve defensively but good lord!,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was impressed with Mikayla. It seemed to take her a minute or two to adjust, but then it seemed as if she just relaxed and played the game. I really wanted to see more of her.
Kids like these Uconn Frosh who played loads of BB---take a minute or two to get the "feel" then,if they have talent to go with the experience, will deliver--IMO --they won't be Collier or KLS--but they were not KLS/Collier for a couple of years.

Reaction Score
Agree. Sometimes her pace of play is too fast, but yes, she's a keeper.
Coombs by nature is FAST/Quick--a huge asset. As John Wooden told some of his players ---be quick, not fast. Her brain is wired for fast, Geno has to work her towards the quick. I like what I see. She's going to be one heck of a defender in the open court--can you think of another who can guide her that is a terror in the open floor???

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see if he freshmen can earn enough confidence to earn playing time against some of the better schools. But 22 points is a good outing against any team, unless most of the points were on layups and FTs.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Kids like these Uconn Frosh who played loads of BB---take a minute or two to get the "feel" then,if they have talent to go with the experience, will deliver--IMO --they won't be Collier or KLS--but they were not KLS/Collier for a couple of years.

My untrained eye had me thinking after today's game that the last two games and today in particular had our non starters play better than I had seen previously. Maybe Geno giving them a meaningful shot with early minutes rather than mop-up minutes brought new meaning to their practices and to their play-making in the game today. Certainly I saw less turnovers and more consistency to their play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom