Did Alabama steal signs to beat UNC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did Alabama steal signs to beat UNC?

Reaction Score
If you have to resort to in game reports from people stationed in the stands to help you do this, your program ain't so hot.
Or...you're a coach who understands how incredibly difficult it is to win at this level, so you're doing everything you can within the rules to gain a competitive advantage.

The takes here never fail.

Reaction Score
There was a great comment by the analyst during the first two rounds. I forget which game or which analyst. He noted UConn seems to run principles as much as they run plays. He noted it requires all the players to recognize what the defense is doing at any point and how to counter what the defense is taking away and the resultant what the defense is giving. He was impressed by what UConn does on the court.
Our kids have been taught how to play. My guess is that Danny knows what programs they are coming from long before he gets them. Looks to me like he is refining much of what they have been taught. Quite often, some of the seemingly most talented bb prospects just have gaps in their skill set. I've always loved this program primarily because of its huge emphasis on fundamentals. They do the little things that are so important in every game.

Reaction Score
Or...you're a coach who understands how incredibly difficult it is to win at this level, so you're doing everything you can within the rules to gain a competitive advantage.

The takes here never fail.
My guess here is that Hurley could give our opponents every piece of information prior to playing them and the difference it would make would be absolutely minimal.

Reaction Score
My guess here is that Hurley could give our opponents every piece of information prior to playing them and the difference it would make would be absolutely minimal.
Against UConn, I would agree 100%. UConn's offense has too many variables.

But you said "If you have to resort to in game reports from people stationed in the stands to help you do this, your program ain't so hot."

That comment has nothing to do with UConn. It's an insult on a program who was the #1 overall seed last year, was forced to bring in 2/3 new assistants, and 7/8 new players, and just made the final four.

I think their program is doing fine.

Reaction Score
I guess I shouldn't be surprised when people here still treat paying players as a crime worthy of capital punishment, but this is a whole lot of nothing. It's not cheating, it's coaching

Reaction Score
There was a great comment by the analyst during the first two rounds. I forget which game or which analyst. He noted UConn seems to run principles as much as they run plays. He noted it requires all the players to recognize what the defense is doing at any point and how to counter what the defense is taking away and the resultant what the defense is giving. He was impressed by what UConn does on the court.
Positively Belichickian

Reaction Score
Against UConn, I would agree 100%. UConn's offense has too many variables.

But you said "If you have to resort to in game reports from people stationed in the stands to help you do this, your program ain't so hot."

That comment has nothing to do with UConn. It's an insult on a program who was the #1 overall seed last year, was forced to bring in 2/3 new assistants, and 7/8 new players, and just made the final four.

I think their program is doing fine.
Come again - Who am i insulting? I'm not above it for sure but wasn't sure I was doing it. Scouting an opponent is important and there are many many ways to do that now. I'll stand by my statement though that if you think you need to position people in the stands to help with in game scouts and suggestions, you need to to try to do what you do better before the game begins.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
The NC old guard that instituted the fake classes must be incensed that the young bucks running the place today are getting out cheated.:D
I hope I misheard but there was a girl online who took a student poll of whether or not the Duke players would show up to class the day after a win. The class was, it sounded like …TikTok.

Reaction Score
I hope I misheard but there was a girl online who took a student poll of whether or not the Duke players would show up to class the day after a win. The class was, it sounded like …TikTok.
That is correct, though that's not the official name. The kids just call it the TikTok class. It's officially Building Global Audiences and is about using social media to grow and promote a brand

Reaction Score
Are you casting doubt on WaPo's reporting on this same day on the topic of inconsistent 3-point line measurements in the WBB tournament; implicitly flouting long-standing Forum guidelines on certain discussions, and therby challenging me & others as to whether or not to give your facile dig cover by way of our maintaining respectful silence; casting doubt on elements of American history brought to light by WaPo that would (at best) reveal your smug comment to suffer from recency bias, or what?

With regret for compounding the offense further by the mere act of speaking up, I protest this comment without additional elaboration.
Your writing style intrigues me. Without stating your profession, tell us what your profession is

Reaction Score
I guess I shouldn't be surprised when people here still treat paying players as a crime worthy of capital punishment, but this is a whole lot of nothing. It's not cheating, it's coaching
To be fair, if you're, say, 60 years old, then you've been in a world that had similar rules for 55 years. It takes time to get used to the new.

And, as we know, NIL rules about being paid for your name, image, and likeness aren't being followed by everyone. There is still a version of cheating going on. I tend not to care as much lately because we're kicking the snot out of everyone, but it's not totally on the level.

As for the sign stealing, who cares. Coaches scream out play calls all game long. All you need is 2 eyes, and you can steal the signs. Most offenses are read and react anyways, so the best you can do is shade your assignment one way or the other, and hope he does what he's supposed to. I would imagine that a lot of the broken play buckets we see are just guys making the wrong reads, and getting lucky.
Since electronic communications are against the rules, i think the paper is kind of a good idea. But again, it shouldn't matter. Any coach worth anything is calling "concepts" not "plays". There are probably a dozen possible outcomes of a good teams play call.

Reaction Score
Come again - Who am i insulting? I'm not above it for sure but wasn't sure I was doing it. Scouting an opponent is important and there are many many ways to do that now. I'll stand by my statement though that if you think you need to position people in the stands to help with in game scouts and suggestions, you need to to try to do what you do better before the game begins.
It's the way you're framing your opinion.

"If you have to resort to...."

"If you think you need to..."

Perhaps, they don't think they "need" to do it, they just think it could help.

"your program ain't so hot". Maybe not an insult, but it's a freezing cold take considering they just made their first ever final four.

I'm sure they're consistently trying to do almost everything better, that's probably how they made a final four.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
That is correct, though that's not the official name. The kids just call it the TikTok class. It's officially Building Global Audiences and is about using social media to grow and promote a brand
Okay that makes more sense. I didn’t think it was getting credits for filming yourself doing ridiculous dances and pranks to passersby on the street but didn’t want to assume.

Edit: F Duke

Reaction Score
What in human nature forces people to read an article and ignore logic just to skip to an emotional response?

I would think every team has their scouts doing this? That's literally what scouting is? Do people think scouting the other team means just going to enjoy a basketball game? I would think...like in all sports...the only issue would be specifically videotaping the sidelines or using technology. Taking notes? Sounds like doing a good job.

Also, Oates and Hurley are somewhat close. One of URI's best players came from his HS program, and then he was the next coach at Buffalo after Bobby Hurley left.

Not sure he handled that Miller thing well initially - but before you know all the details and someone sticks a camera in your face and asks about it I think any coach would stick up for their player. Then more came out and he apologized and Miller was kicked out.

If people are going at Oates for that I'm wondering why more weren't going at Underwood last week for keeping Terrance Shannon on the team.

Reaction Score
I say to be fair and make it more competitive we let our opponent know what play we will run before we run it.

Reaction Score
Hurley always covers his mouth when he talks with players, refs and such...I wonder if he is a bit paranoid about these types of things.

Reaction Score
Is it cheating or is it being overly prepared? Kinda like me at parties, am I flirting or am I being creepy…

Reaction Score
I will also add that since the 70's I have done my fair share of scouting. Picking up tendencies in different situations is very important. Later on a lot of scout material came from video. I don't remember anyone actually watching us play and then relaying information to their coach during a game. If they did, good for them. In most instances, the game would be much too fast for something like that to be meaningful. I always kept my back to the crowd during timeouts but it certainly wasn't because I feared someone picking up a vital piece information. Sometimes what gets said to a player by a coach needs to stay between said player and coach.

Reaction Score
Hurley always covers his mouth when he talks with players, refs and such...I wonder if he is a bit paranoid about these types of things.
He is. He said he changes his calls and signs frequently. As you should.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m familiar with your services. I recently fired one of you. It was a great day.
Should I politely offer that while you might be familiar with my services, I doubt you recently fired one of me?

Should I fabricate a fantastic service offering to meet your cockiness with absurdity?

Or, should I imagine an unlikely but possible scenario in which all three of your sentences could be true, and then write "Post/avatar" in response?

Reaction Score
Stealing sign’s doesn’t seem like it would help against anything but a really simple offense. Complex plays have many options and variants, where depending on how the defense reacts you do different things. Focusing on hands and signs seem like a waste of time compared with spending that time instead studying film of the team and watching their plays, and strategizing how to defend their best players.

Reaction Score
God what a total scumbag Nate Oates is. I remember there was a time where we really wanted him over Hurley. After the condoning and minimizing murder last year, and now this, he’s turning into CBB’s next great thug
Success is all about brand building.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom