Diana Taurasi update | The Boneyard

Diana Taurasi update

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Causing the most consternation among those suspicious of a conspiracy in the desert was the handling of past No. 1 draft pick and MVP Diana Taurasi. She played in just eight games this season, the first time in her nine-year WNBA career that she didn't compete in at least 31.

However, Taurasi started all eight games during the Olympics for the United States, averaging 24.1 minutes and a team-high 12.4 points. That she played in just six of the Mercury's 15 contests after the London Games raised some eyebrows.

"Yeah, she led the [U.S.] team in scoring, but she didn't look like herself," Gaines said about his view of Taurasi's physical condition during the Olympics. "Some games, she looked really, really bad, to be honest."

Will that make a few eyes roll? Of course. But here's Cox's take on the suggestion that Phoenix essentially kept looking for reasons to not play Taurasi.

"Absolutely not," Cox said. "She came back [from London] in a ton of pain with her wisdom teeth. It took a couple of games for her to feel better from her dental procedure. Then she played, and once we were mathematically eliminated, we decided to shut her down and give her rest for the last couple of weeks.

"We understand that every fan wants to see Diana play every night. But she's 30 years old and has played eight years for us and given us everything she's had. So to give a player at her age, who has played this much, two weeks' rest is a big deal. If we can do that and ensure she is in a Mercury uniform for a lot of years beyond this, that's the positive."

Ultimately, the paying customers in Phoenix didn't seem to mind, accepting that the losses this season might lead to a big payoff in the near future. Phoenix has had the top pick twice before in the WNBA draft, taking UConn's Taurasi in 2004 and Duke's Lindsey Harding in 2007 (the Mercury immediately traded Harding on draft day to Minnesota for Tangela Smith, who was an important part of Phoenix's two title teams).

http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/8423078/wnba-draft-lottery-highly-anticipated

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great article. Great comments by Cox. DT is a joy to watch play. Hopefully Phx lands Griner or EDD (who is your preference Cam?) and gets Taylor back healthy next year along with whoever else was out (Dupree?)...

BTW i hadn't seen the "odds" of getting the top pick. Washington is in the driver's seat...

Team Record Odds
Washington 5-29 44.2 percent
Phoenix 7-27 27.6 percent
Tulsa 9-25 17.8 percent
Chicago 14-20 10.4 percent

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Here's too us getting the 2nd pick and EDD. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Chicago gets the first pick, do they add Griner to a front line of Fowles and Cash?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Preference is Griner.

After that, it is a tough call. Based on what I saw this year, I do not see Prahalis as the starting point guard on a playoff team. She is a backup on a good team and a starter on a lottery team. She cannot finish with contact, has difficulty with long defenders, and cannot consistently break people down off the dribble in the half court. To be a starter on a playoff team, she would need to develop Ruthie Bolton's physique.

Now, most in Phoenix are giving her a pass due to her rookie status and not having a healthy Diana Taurasi, Candice Dupree, and Penny Taylor available (the three combined to miss 90 games this year). Both Taurasi and Taylor are stellar passers and good facilitators of the offense, so Prahalis has less responsibility to shoulder.

But both Kelly Miller and Temeka Johnson had success in Phoenix because they were capable scorers who create off the dribble (more Johnson and Miller) with really good outside shots (Miller especially from three, Johnson from mid-range to the high post). Prahalis does not have that consistency. Moreover, both Miller and Johnson displayed their shooting accuracy early in the respective careers (Johnson was ROY; Miller was shooting 45 percent from the floor and 47 percent from three in her second year). And both Miller and Johnson had much more in the way of body strength than Prahalis.

Why is this analysis important? Because if Phoenix does not get Griner, it becomes a real battle as to which player Phoenix should take if it has the second pick. Diggins could be the point guard of the future and is better than Prahalis. Delle Donne is a unique player for her size, in terms of her shooting abilities.

I would almost consider a third option. If Phoenix gets the second pick, offer up #2 for Elizabeth Cambage, provided she will come over. Phoenix has a LONG history of Australian players (Michele Timms, Kristi Harrower, Michelle Griffiths, Trisha Fallon, Belinda Snell, Kristen Veal, Penny Taylor, etc.) coming over, and with Taylor here, it could be that slice of home that Cambage wants. This gives Prahalis another year to demonstrate improvement (and playing with a healthy complement of players), while shoring up a huge hole in the middle for the Mercury.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If Chicago gets the first pick, do they add Griner to a front line of Fowles and Cash?

Cash is 32 this year; she will not playing forever. But if Griner goes to Chicago, the team will need three point shooting on the perimeter, especially from the wing, in order to play both together.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cash is getting older - how many years does she have left? She plays the 3 anyway. It's a good question - If it were me, I'd take Griner and see what the rest of the landscape looks like. Maybe end up trading Fowles. But who knows. They really can't go wrong with either one...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If Chicago gets the #1 pick, I draft Griner and do everything I can to trade Sylvia for additional picks or players. I would trade Sylvia to Phoenix for the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft and draft Skyar as she would be a media favorite in Chicago.

Getting both Griner and Diggins would be rebirth of the Chicago Franchise.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If Chicago gets the #1 pick, I draft Griner and do everything I can to trade Sylvia for additional picks or players. I would trade Sylvia to Phoenix for the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft and draft Skyar as she would be a media favorite in Chicago.

Getting both Griner and Diggins would be rebirth of the Chicago Franchise.

Skyler will not be much of a media favorite to make a huge difference in most markets. But for a team like Chicago, which is privately owned, an additional 500 fans per game means a great deal.

Fowles is an elite player in this league. For Chicago to part with her, it would like demand something else in return. The team really needs a wing, as Cash is on the downside of her career. If I am the Sky, I offer up Fowles for Bonner and the 2nd pick. If I am Phoenix, I offer up Charde and the #2 pick before I part ways with Bonner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom