Diaco and what the Superbowl demonstrates | The Boneyard

Diaco and what the Superbowl demonstrates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A good offense is necessary, but a top defense wins games more games. Diaco understands this.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd say UConn more resembles Carolina's offense- inability of line to sustain blocks and create holes and a lack of offensive playmakers, than it does Denver's defense.

Denver has a tremendous defense, but there were plays to be made against it. Unfortunately Cam overthrew too many receivers, held the ball too long and made too many poor decisions too late in the play.

Reaction Score
A good offense is necessary, but a top defense wins games more games. Diaco understands this.

A top defense that creates a ton of turnovers / sacks wins more games. Without the turnovers, Carolina probably wins that game. Just stopping people isn't enough.

Reaction Score
True. But a great offense fills up a stadium. And that is not an inconsequential concern.

This is an important point for a program in a very tenuous position vis a vis conference realignment.

If we become a 10+ win juggernaut, we'll gain interest and respect regardless of how we get there. But let's say that's somewhat out of reach, and more realistically we're going to be a middling-to-decent 6-8 win team in most years.

If we do that by winning hideous 13-9 games, we're not going to grow a fanbase or build P5 interest.
If we do that by being an explosive offense that sometimes loses shootouts, we're at least going to draw eyeballs doing so.

That said, having a great defense, usually winning ugly, and getting to 7-5 every year is better than having a bad defense and going 4-8.

Reaction Score
A good defense keeps you in the game but the offense has to win it for you 9 1/2 out of 10 times. Last season a good offense could have yielded 8 regular season wins with the very good defense the Huskies fielded and topped it off with a bowl win vs Marshal. When your only averaging 17.5 points per game(and that includes Summers pic-6) something has to change.

Reaction Score

No question, especially in Super bowls but make no mistake about it - Von Miller is a freak show and Andre Ware is right behind him. Miller's performance is hands down the best in Super Bowl history. SEE BELOW

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index....nce_is_tops_in_super_bowl_history_politi.html

Although we saw some flashes last season, Diaco's defenses traditionally do not put that type of intense pressure on the QB. His bend but don't break philosophy can be frustrating at times but he believe in it. SEE BELOW

http://www.nhregister.com/article/NH/20151004/SPORTS/151009788

Against BYU last year we did not attack the Wide receivers but instead laid back. That was puzzling to me because Michigan was
so successful in playing up on the BYU's recievers, while UCONN played much softer.

After Diaco left Notre Dame they looked to play more aggressive under DC Brian VanGorder. I prefer a more attacking style defense and with the talent we in E.J. Levenberry, Junior Joseph, Luke Carrezola, Vonte Diggs and Matt Walsh, etc. I would like to see us more in attack mode! Diaco predicts a top 10 defense next year. I am hoping we do a better job pressuring the QB.

http://www.collegefootball.ap.org/article/notre-dame-defense-looks-be-more-aggressive

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
A good defense keeps you in the game but the offense has to win it for you 9 1/2 out of 10 times. Last season a good offense could have yielded 8 regular season wins with the very good defense the Huskies fielded and topped it off with a bowl win vs Marshal. When your only averaging 17.5 points per game(and that includes Summers pic-6) something has to change.

Most coaches will say the opposite as a very good defense beat a very good offense yesterday. Look at past Super Bowls with the number defenses won nine out of ten times. Defenses win championships, period.
I am old enough to remember San Diego having the top offense year in and year out and yet never won a championship.

Reaction Score
Rosters are always under development, its just a matter of what stage of development.

Maintaining discipline in ball security on offense and kick returns is key to sustained success, for sure. Generating turnovers on D, both in getting off the field on 3rd downs and Int's / fumble recoveries kind of important too.

What I want to know, is if we're going to be able to block consistently on offense this year.

Sleds. They got to all hit sleds. With good coaching about it. If the foot speed isn't there to run to daylight, they got to be able to make daylight from whoever is closest to hit.

Too many years gone by. Tired of it.

Reaction Score
Most coaches will say the opposite as a very good defense beat a very good offense yesterday. Look at past Super Bowls with the number defenses won nine out of ten times. Defenses win championships, period.
I am old enough to remember San Diego having the top offense year in and year out and yet never won a championship.
Uh....did you watch UConn last season? They had a great defense. What championship did they win? You have to score more than 17.5 points per game and that falls squarely on the offense. The defense kept them in the Missouri game. The offense didn't win it for them. Nor did it win the bowl game for them.

Reaction Score
Rosters are always under development, its just a matter of what stage of development.

Maintaining discipline in ball security on offense and kick returns is key to sustained success, for sure. Generating turnovers on D, both in getting off the field on 3rd downs and Int's / fumble recoveries kind of important too.

What I want to know, is if we're going to be able to block consistently on offense this year.

Sleds. They got to all hit sleds. With good coaching about it. If the foot speed isn't there to run to daylight, they got to be able to make daylight from whoever is closest to hit.

Too many years gone by. Tired of it.
Yes Carl, I should have incorporated the word stage. We dont/cant block for , yet.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Uh....did you watch UConn last season? They had a great defense. What championship did they win? You have to score more than 17.5 points per game and that falls squarely on the offense. The defense kept them in the Missouri game. The offense didn't win it for them. Nor did it win the bowl game for them.

Great is a strong word...they had a good defense last year...not great. Mizzou's awful offense kept UConn in the game last year as much as UConn's good defense. A good defense and an awful offense results in 6-6. I don't know how much better the D can get...but as we all know the real need for improvement is the offense.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Great is a strong word...they had a good defense last year...not great. Mizzou's awful offense kept UConn in the game last year as much as UConn's good defense. A good defense and an awful offense results in 6-6. I don't know how much better the D can get...but as we all know the real need for improvement is the offense.

A very good defense with a couple of horrible lapses (Cincy, second half of USF)

Reaction Score

True but your offense needs to at least be serviceable. If we had offenses that could consistently put up 20 to 24 PPG we would have won a lot more games over the last 10 years. I don't think anyone wants us to be Baylor, that would be nice but its just not likely for our program. But we've shown we can play defense through 3 different coaching staffs, now we need to figure out how to be a top 50 offense.

Reaction Score
Let's get that turf at the rent so we can push people around.

Carolina made dumb mistakes, they played to win while denver played to not lose and capitalize on carolina actually trying to play offense.

Pretty ugly but smart.

Reaction Score
Note to UConn...... need to score TD's at a much higher rate. The Huskies blueprint of a good defense that could carry the inadequate offense = a losing record.

Reaction Score
Note to UConn. need to score TD's at a much higher rate. The Huskies blueprint of a good defense that could carry the inadequate offense = a losing record.
It also equals what FBS college football world call "boring" football, which equals less fan support, which equals less visibility, which equals less support by the powers that be to elevate the program to the P5 level..

But, boy oh boy, it's a good thing it looks as if we're finally starting to turn the corner.. The 2016 season is our litmus test...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom