DH Post Game Press Conference 1/15 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DH Post Game Press Conference 1/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“listen to the coaches”??? They’re not listening this far into the season? Or are some guys tuning them out?
“Jordan are you guys still together?”
Both Hawkins and Karaban glance nervously at each other.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
“Jordan are you guys still together?”
Both Hawkins and Karaban glance nervously at each other.
That was tough to see. Hoping this can be turned around, as the talent is still there.

Reaction Score
“listen to the coaches”??? They’re not listening this far into the season? Or are some guys tuning them out?

Yea, the full transcript quotes are interesting. Of note, one of the most annoying things about these pressers is the context of what the coaches and players are saying is often difficult to fully ascertain as the reporters aren't mic'd up so you don't know the exact context of their answers..

In reply to “[garbled lead-in to...How do you turn it around?”

Hawkins: “Watch the film and don’t do the same thing twice. Stop making the same mistakes we’ve made over and over and over again…and just execute it the next game, bounce back the next game…"
Karaban: “What Hawk said…and just listen to the coaches…I mean, they are just trying to put us in the best position possible every game and, you know, if we drift away from what they say, we just put ourselves in failure..."

Seems like the coaches are scouting/gameplanning and the players just aren't executing.

Mesh this with Hurley's comments about players hugging 0-3 3pt shooters beyond the arc...and offensive struggles bleeding over into defensive efforts/approach.

The reason(s) behind this and the solutions are beyond our pay grade as fans.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
At least he hasn’t picked up any Ts. Lord knows the old Danny would have been tossed a few times the past few games. Wish his kids could get that part too.
Wouldn’t mind seeing how the kids play with Kimani.

Reaction Score
Yea, the full transcript quotes are interesting. Of note, one of the most annoying things about these pressers is the context of what the coaches and players are saying is often difficult to fully ascertain as the reporters aren't mic'd up so you don't know the exact context of their answers..

Hawkins: “Watch the film and don’t do the same thing twice. Stop making the same mistakes we’ve made over and over and over again…and just execute it the next game, bounce back the next game…"
Karaban: “What Hawk said…and just listen to the coaches…I mean, they are just trying to put us in the best position possible every game and, you know, if we drift away from what they say, we just put ourselves in failure..."

Seems like the coaches are scouting/gameplanning and the players just aren't executing.

Mesh this with Hurley's comments about players hugging 0-3 3pt shooters beyond the arc...and offensive struggles bleeding over into defensive efforts/approach.

I think AJ's over zealous defense is part of what all is going on.

Reaction Score

(Agreed on the lack of press microphones in the pressers - annoying to say the least. I wish it was the biggest of our problems lol).

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t mind seeing how the kids play with Kimani.
What does this mean? Fire Hurley and have Kimani take over? Or just have Hurley have a seat while Kimani takes over? What are you advocating for?

Kimani seems great. He needs to prove himself at a lower level school before taking the helm at a place the level of UConn. Running a program is a big learning curve over being an assistant. He needs to learn that. Coaching one game (Villanova) after Hurley got ejected is not evidence Kimani is ready for taking over a program of UConn’s stature. UConn made the mistake of hiring an assistant without any head coaching experience before.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What does this mean? Fire Hurley and have Kimani take over? Or just have Hurley have a seat while Kimani takes over? What are you advocating for?

Kimani seems great. He needs to prove himself at a lower level school before taking the helm at a place the level of UConn. Running a program is a big learning curve over being an assistant. He needs to learn that. Coaching one game (Villanova) after Hurley got ejected is not evidence Kimani is ready for taking over a program of UConn’s stature. UConn made the mistake of hiring an assistant without any head coaching experience before.
Meant moreso if Hurley got ejected from a game to see how he does.

I agree that he doesn’t have the experience necessary for a school like UConn but it was super impressive watching him out duel Jay Wright that one game and am interested in seeing more.

That mistake got us another NC btw. One of the most unlikely NCs in history.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

That is currently one of Hurley's biggest flaws in his coaching style. He player substitutions seem to be based on predetermined player rotations or foul trouble rather than players being yanked because they aren't doing what coached prepped the player to do.

And no, I'm not advocating just benching a player and letting them sulk. One of the assistants should be next to that player explaining exactly why they were pulled and linking that to specific things which were discussed in practice or film room. Then (hopefully) show the player on the bench how his replacement is correctly doing what the coaches want players to do.

Or, in the instance of players hugging non-shooters on the 3-point line, call an immediate TO and emphasize to every player in the huddle who gets closed out on and who gets slack off of as per the game plan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think McDermott let Kalk guard Sanogo one on one as it was a big matchup and kind of a showdown. He will not do that again at Creighton. Sanogo will get doubled there. The whole Adama gets the ball and everyone in the arena pauses and watches for it seems like 10 seconds for the decision to be made, reminds me of Caddyshack and the Judge "Welll, we're waiting!" line. St Johns let him think for a few then doubled and it was over.
Jackson has slid in BE play trying to defend one on one. The PG issue is real.

I do know this. During the second half, when Hurley substituted in Clingan, there was an audible cheer, almost Bronx cheer like sound from the crowd.
Also, in the second half there was one time when UConn dumped it down to Sanogo and Sanogo methodically started doing his thing and you could hear an audible moan/grumble from the crowd.
I don't bring this up as a criticism of Sanogo because it is obvious he and the team are doing what the coaches want, but the disconnect in the second half between what the crowd was seeing and what the players/coaches were doing, was there.

Reaction Score
I think McDermott let Kalk guard Sanogo one on one as it was a big matchup and kind of a showdown. He will not do that again at Creighton. Sanogo will get doubled there. The whole Adama gets the ball and everyone in the arena pauses and watches for it seems like 10 seconds for the decision to be made, reminds me of Caddyshack and the Judge "Welll, we're waiting!" line. St Johns let him think for a few then doubled and it was over.
Jackson has slid in BE play trying to defend one on one. The PG issue is real.

I just wish Sanago would catch the ball, make his 1st move and go up. I don't get the holding the ball until the double comes.

I would understand it if Sanago was a capable passer but he isn't and coaching HAS to see that right? How many times this season has Sanago gotten the ball, did his little dance, then tried to pass it out with 3 seconds on the shot clock and threw it 4 feet over his teammates head? The fact that he hasn't improved on that part of his game is partially why i think the comments Hawk and Karaban made are directed at him. Pure speculation though.

Reaction Score
That is currently one of Hurley's biggest flaws in his coaching style. He player substitutions seem to be based on predetermined player rotations or foul trouble rather than players being yanked because they aren't doing what coached prepped the player to do.

And no, I'm not advocating just benching a player and letting them sulk. One of the assistants should be next to that player explaining exactly why they were pulled and linking that to specific things which were discussed in practice or film room. Then (hopefully) show the player on the bench how his replacement is correctly doing what the coaches want players to do.

Or, in the instance of players hugging non-shooters on the 3-point line, call an immediate TO and emphasize to every player in the huddle who gets closed out on and who gets slack off of as per the game plan.

Agree with the gist of what you're saying. I do think a lot of this already goes on if you really pay close attention to the sidelines. Kimani, Luke, and occasionally Tom can been seen getting up barking instructions directly to players during game flow. Also, many times the players will have a seat next to an assistant after getting subbed out. Impossible for me to know what they're saying, but I'd guess it would be reinforcement of assignments/strategy.

Some of these things can definitely be done without burning a timeout, but others probably demand a full TO when things go egregiously wrong. Seems like things are more wrong overall lately, so I would endorse more aggressive early use of timeouts when it "feels" like the team is going down the wrong path (basically, mid-2nd half in all of our losses.

Most of our timeouts start with Hurley out of the huddle and the assistants starting up discussions. I would guess these are tactical discussions. The "in the huddle" segments on TV showing Hurley are almost always the "general lets get the team locked in/fired up" variety (get on the boards, toughness, etc.).

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This one is tough to process. Hurley and the staff clearly knew/recognized that we shouldn't be playing a horrible 3 point shooting team like St. John's tight 25 feet from the hoop. Based on the above quote I'm confident that it was a focal point and communicated to our guys. The guards just kept doing it anyways?
That's what substitutes and time outs are for coach.

Reaction Score
There seems to be a lack of recognition of where the double came from and the relative easy hoop that could be found there.
But if you think Adama is our problem, I will only say there is a reason they are double teaming him and not someone else.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute, so Hurley proved, and the players reconfirmed that he is actively telling them to stop doing things during the game....and we're still blaming hurley for X&O malpractice?

Sounds like more so we need people who are buying into the game philosophy, and not trying to stand apart. We can blame hurley for that too, but I do agree that the transfer portal is extremely risky in terms of players buying into a coach's vision, regardless of minutes played.

Reaction Score
There seems to be a lack of recognition of where the double came from and the relative easy hoop that could be found there.
But if you think Adama is our problem, I will only say there is a reason they are double teaming him and not someone else.

This is correct. If AS is doubled there’s knowledge of where the double is coming from (opponent scout) the player who’s man has doubled move into the void and be prepared to shoot/drive or move it quickly if the slide is quick.

There has to be communication letting guys know where the double vacated early so AS or whoever knows. If you get doubled theres no guarantee you know where it came from - help guys out for gods sake.

Transfer portal is a fickle mistress.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Team leadership is paramount, but you get the sense it is lacking, and it is coming from the top down. Jackson and Sanogo are supposed to be the locker room/floor leaders but it didn't show yesterday. Even Hurley looked less animated than usual, often standing with his arms folded. (Maybe not a bad thing, but to his standards maybe toned down too much.) This teams needs more than pep talks from Chris Smith and Ray Allen.

Reaction Score
Do you really want to listen to it ?

I read Borges asked him about making a change and Hurley said that they need a spark and definitely will be making some change. .. maybe we will see what some Yarders have been suggesting.
Some Yarders have been suggesting playing Sanogo and Clingan at the same time, allowing them to compliment one another, protect the rim, rebound and collect second chance points…and I agree with them …..even if there are some downsides like both fouling-out and dual player fatigue.

Reaction Score

I don’t think that’s a positive light on AS, almost the entire world knows that he is a black hole with the ball and very high turnover ratio. Any coach worth a salt will scheme to double him.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that’s a positive light on AS, almost the entire world knows that he is a black hole with the ball and very high turnover ratio. Any coach worth a salt will scheme to double him.
If he’s a “black hole”, he is one who shoots 60% FG. What’s the team shooting minus Adama and Donovan? I think Clingan should start too. Let’s get our best players on the court.

Reaction Score
If he’s a “black hole”, he is one who shoots 60% FG. What’s the team shooting minus Adama and Donovan? I think Clingan should start too. Let’s get our best players on the court.

I’m curious his shooting percentage in league play, not counting the cup cake games or invitationals.

Reaction Score
I was 10 rows from the court. I was watching intently the interaction between the players during time outs.

I saw multiple times Sanogo very animated in whatever he was saying. He did not look happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom