Dez - Spring Practice 10 News And Notes | The Boneyard

Dez - Spring Practice 10 News And Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good info on both.

Liked Chips blurb about Stephenson getting his assss chewed and taking it out on the offense shortly thereafter.

Reaction Score
Seems like both bloggers have a gut feeling Whitmer is going to win the competition without really being able to vocalize why. Should be interesting.

Reaction Score
Was down in Raleigh over Easter and read an article about NC State Spring Scrimmage. The feeling was that, like us, the defense is ahead of the offense. They were very upbeat about their chances this year. Should be a good game in September.

Reaction Score
Seems like both bloggers have a gut feeling Whitmer is going to win the competition without really being able to vocalize why. Should be interesting.

i have a feeling consistancy is the difference. personally i'm a little frustrated that we haven't heard more about the QB situation. i don't need a starter named, but could be at least get it down to a 3 or 4 man race? both bloggers seem to agree Whitmer looks best, but it sounds like P is still giving them all relatively equal reps. i'm pretty excited to see Blidi, Gratz and Mack as the 3 at CB. it's been building towards this for a few years and i think they could be a great group. defensively i think we're going to be awesome. last year we were awesome 3/4s of the time and a mess the other 1/4. it sounds like the system's progressing and it sounds like they're ready to really dominate.

Reaction Score
1. The defense should be ahead of the offense. It returns 9 starters.

2. I don't think the D was inconsistent at all last year. We were not good enough against the pass and damn good against the run. Hopefully, we learn that the former was due to learning the system more than the personnel. Remember, many -- including myself -- thought we had the talent last year to be far better on D than what we saw.

3. We know nothing about the QB situation, nothing, until we see the spring game with our own eyes. Then we will know something. (I do get that there is nothing to talk about than what Dez and others post, and I don't mind anyone posting on it, but I'd urge everyone to realize that the discussion is just entertainment because we don't know anything.)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
3. We know nothing about the QB situation, nothing, until we see the spring game with our own eyes. Then we will know something. (I do get that there is nothing to talk about than what Dez and others post, and I don't mind anyone posting on it, but I'd urge everyone to realize that the discussion is just entertainment because we don't know anything.)
Can't wait till we all start arguing about what we saw at the spring game. Only 10 days!

Reaction Score
I never concluded the D was great against the run - I just saw teams that knew they could throw the rock all day long against us, particularly when BWW went down.

I want to see more depth at all spots on the D. I want to see the OL gel, and rebuild depth. I want to see a #2 RB. And I really want to see a wideout show the ability to create space for himself.

Then again, I don't need to know who is the QB in April.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am resigned to average at best QB play. I just hope whomever it is takes care of the ball.

Much more interested in the development of the Oline. Screw that up and we won't be able to run either.

On D, health and secondary play are the concerns. Their motto should be "Defend the 10 yd out to the last man."

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll go out on a short, sturdy limb.

Coming out of spring the lineup will be-

Whitmer
McEntee
Nebrich (wildcat/special situations)
McCummings( has been hurt most of spring)
Cochran (redshirt if at all possible)

As the writers have hinted towards, Whtimer looks the most comfortable and and knows how to run a huddle and an offense. McEntee has the most game experience and according to everyone that's seen him, he's gotten better. That's good enough for a back up.

With McCummings hurt most of the spring, Nebrich has taken advantage and, as of now, probably has the lead for the wildcat sets. Truth be told, if McCummings heals well and performs strong in the fall, I wouldn't object to redshirting Nebrich too.

Unless Cochran is head and shoulders way better than everyone else, he should redshirt. He certainly has the most room for growth and has been in the program the shortest time. Let him learn and develop.

Reaction Score
2. I don't think the D was inconsistent at all last year. We were not good enough against the pass and damn good against the run. Hopefully, we learn that the former was due to learning the system more than the personnel. Remember, many -- including myself -- thought we had the talent last year to be far better on D than what we saw.

it seemed on defense we either pushed the O back a couple of yards or gave up 10+. there didn't seem to be a lot of in between. most of the big plays were passes, but i think that's only natural.

to be honest when we'd give up the 3rd and 10+ last year it didn't bother me as much as when we'd always give up 3rd and 6 with Edsall b/c at least we were being aggressive. also i think a lot of those big plays we gave up last year were close to being great defensive plays where we just missed something a little bit. i think with another year in the system we'll cut down on those little errors and really take it to another level.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
NCST is supose to have a real good D this year, I think they have a db or 2 that are nfl draft early round prospects for next year. Could be a tough game for us considering our O will be a young unit in terms of playing together.

Whitmer-Nebrich-Mccum-Jmac is just a normal walkon now-Casey gets a rs to spread out the qb's year wise. We will bring in atleast 1 qb for this next class also.

Phillips and Mcneal will be in the wr rotation with the others we have coming back. I would like to see us run that WVU shovel pass a bit from the slot with Nick or Foxx instead of to much wildcat. Just a thought.

Reaction Score

I think we still will not know much ... even after seeing it with our own eyes! After seeing that Frazer to Smith play action deep TD throw a few years ago I was duped into thinking I would see that play call in the Fall ...

Reaction Score
I think we still will not know much ... even after seeing it with our own eyes! After seeing that Frazer to Smith play action deep TD throw a few years ago I was duped into thinking I would see that play call in the Fall ...

That was on the safety, he is not here now. We did see it kind of, first play from scrimmage against Pitt , muffed snap, threw it anyway, not a good start. Better ending.

Reaction Score

You will never know how good a team is from a spring game. You will have a better idea of where players at a position rank compared to one another.

Reaction Score
at least after the spring game we can BS about stuff we saw instead of BSing about stuff we heard. but at the end of the day it's all still BS

Reaction Score

I think you can look at where the returning QBs were last season, and figure out why they don't expect any of those guys to win the job. And very few freshman are ready from day 1, so that counts out Cochran. Whitmer was the highest regarded coming out of high school (so he's got some talent) and has two years playing ball (so he's got some experience). I'm hoping he can be an average to slightly above average BE QB next year. If that's the case, UConn should have a good shot at a bowl.

If Nebrich is third string, does he redshirt?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think you can look at where the returning QBs were last season, and figure out why they don't expect any of those guys to win the job. And very few freshman are ready from day 1, so that counts out Cochran. Whitmer was the highest regarded coming out of high school (so he's got some talent) and has two years playing ball (so he's got some experience). I'm hoping he can be an average to slightly above average BE QB next year. If that's the case, UConn should have a good shot at a bowl.

If Nebrich is third string, does he redshirt?

I bet we need 3 QB's this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How about we stick the Wildcat in the circular file where it belongs?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Whitmer, Nebrich, McCummings. Sorry, Johnny.

Reaction Score
I don't want three QBs, again. It didn't do anything good to have one person on the field knowing at anytime there was two other people that could come in and replace him. Name a starter, have him run 70-80 percent of the plays based on weekly matchups, and run a wildcat for the remnants. If we suffer an injury, obviously that changes the personnel, but it shouldn't change the plan.

My preference: whoever really is the most accurate, game ready throwing QB at the one and Scotty as the wildcat.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't agree with this at all. You want a guy like McEntee to be your backup. Especially if it's only for a like a quarter... or a single game... he knows the system. He probably wont lose the game for you while he's in there and you don't burn a redshirt on one of the younger kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom