Dez Practice 7 Notes | The Boneyard

Dez Practice 7 Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/uconn-football-news-and-notes-from-spring-practice-no-7/

Curious in particular about Carl's thought's on the following :

- RB Lyle McCombs on the company he’s keeping (DeLorenzo, Martin Hyppolite, Joe Williams, Shoemate)…
“They’re working hard trying to get on that field,” said McCombs, a 1,000-yard rusher and freshman All-American last season. “An offense that can have more than one running back running the rock all the time is always good so I mean, I’m not going to sit here and say I want all the carries. They can get all the carries they want as long as the team is progressing and we’re winning. Having a fresh a running in there that can do different things it’s a good thing to add to our offense.”
But let’s not get it twisted. McCombs was perfectly fine with 25, 27, 30, 33 or however many carries he was getting.
“Oh yeah, absolutely,” he said laughing. “No complaints from me.”

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it's funny that a team with 5 quarterbacks is using a WR to run the wildcat. I'm sure they just want to practice it with McCummings hurt, but still pretty funny.

Hope the Shoemate MRI goes well, kid deserves the chance to compete to contribute.

Reaction Score
A little surprised about the number of injuries..YIKES! Hope all is good by the time season starts!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
"- Um, for the record, Whitmer was hot today, short, mid-range, the long stuff. The transfer was on. Threw darts and strikes to the target most of the day."

I would be very happy to see several more reports like this one on Whitmer. Then again, Chip didn't make a similar comment, so who knows. I'm looking forward to the day where 250-yard passing days are the norm not the exception, and opposing D's don't put 9 in the box until we're at the goalline.

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to the day our qb completes 60-65% of his passes. I am not looking for video game numbers. Just a qb who plays within the system and can hit a receiver in the numbers most of the time. Seems like forever when we had a qb like that (I think Tyler Lorenzan's first year was the last time we had serviceable qb play).

Reaction Score
I think it's funny that a team with 5 quarterbacks is using a WR to run the wildcat. I'm sure they just want to practice it with McCummings hurt, but still pretty funny.

Hope the Shoemate MRI goes well, kid deserves the chance to compete to contribute.

I may have missed it, but where did it mention a WR was running the wildcat and who was it?

THC

Reaction Score
" Berlin’s Matt DeLorenzo looked good at tailback, runs hard, always driving the legs. He’s more of a thumper than anyone running the ball for the Huskies right now at TB and really seems to have benefitted from the redshirt year in terms knowing the playbook, building his body…maybe he gets a chance."

Really sounds like a kid who doesn't like contact to me. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
" Berlin’s Matt DeLorenzo looked good at tailback, runs hard, always driving the legs. He’s more of a thumper than anyone running the ball for the Huskies right now at TB and really seems to have benefitted from the redshirt year in terms knowing the playbook, building his body…maybe he gets a chance."

Really sounds like a kid who doesn't like contact to me. :rolleyes:

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that.

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to the day our qb completes 60-65% of his passes. I am not looking for video game numbers. Just a qb who plays within the system and can hit a receiver in the numbers most of the time. Seems like forever when we had a qb like that (I think Tyler Lorenzan's first year was the last time we had serviceable qb play).

eh while i dont credit the QB's as much as the starpower of Easley, '09 was a great year for UConn's passing game.

Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/uconn-football-news-and-notes-from-spring-practice-no-7/

Curious in particular about Carl's thought's on the following :

- RB Lyle McCombs on the company he’s keeping (DeLorenzo, Martin Hyppolite, Joe Williams, Shoemate)…
“They’re working hard trying to get on that field,” said McCombs, a 1,000-yard rusher and freshman All-American last season. “An offense that can have more than one running back running the rock all the time is always good so I mean, I’m not going to sit here and say I want all the carries. They can get all the carries they want as long as the team is progressing and we’re winning. Having a fresh a running in there that can do different things it’s a good thing to add to our offense.”
But let’s not get it twisted. McCombs was perfectly fine with 25, 27, 30, 33 or however many carries he was getting.
“Oh yeah, absolutely,” he said laughing. “No complaints from me.”
Great attitude from Coach Foley on his new role.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
very few teams that run the wildcat, do it with a QB.

Most of those teams don't have a seemingly open competition between 5 quarterbacks, with at least one of them perfectly suitable to run it. When you have five quarterbacks do you need your theoretical best receiver taking snaps?

Reaction Score
Most of those teams don't have a seemingly open competition between 5 quarterbacks, with at least one of them perfectly suitable to run it. When you have five quarterbacks do you need your theoretical best receiver taking snaps?

Echoing another's question.....what are you talking about?

Reaction Score
McCumings is the primary wildcat QB. His back up is Nebrich.

No WRs are involved.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

No WRs are involved.

So McCummings is a WR now?

And what the hell does any of this have to do with Edsall not recruiting better known players out of HS?

Reaction Score
What else was he supposed to say? "I hate my new role and can't believe I lost the OL job"?
To be honest he has a few great tight ends this year and is with an offensive coordinator who likes to use them. He can really shine this year. This can only help him be a head coach if he proves he can perform well at two different positions

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

No WRs are involved.

Yet the reports said that Smith was taking snap in the Wildcat. Hence my point that it's strange when you have a number of quarterbacks who can do that.

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault
Interesting twist at #UConn practice: running the Wildcat with WR Michael Smith.

Not that I'd expect you guys to have the facts before you spout off.

Reaction Score
Yet the reports said that Smith was taking snap in the Wildcat. Hence my point that it's strange when you have a number of quarterbacks who can do that.

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault
Interesting twist at #UConn practice: running the Wildcat with WR Michael Smith.

Not that I'd expect you guys to have the facts before you spout off.

No one posted this earlier in the thread unless I missed it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No one posted this earlier in the thread unless I missed it.

They (I) didn't. It took me a few minutes to finally dig it back up tonight when I remembered who said it.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Can Smith actually throw? I don't recall him being THAT great YAC, so he is a surprising choice for a wildcat QB.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not that it means it automatically translates into being able to throw at a major college level but I believe he was a QB in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom