Dez asks P about play calling on 1st down | The Boneyard

Dez asks P about play calling on 1st down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not exactly the answer I wanted to hear.

Dez: "If there were more diversity on first down, could that help? And help the struggling offense, period?

Of the Huskies' 16 possession Saturday, they ran on first down on 15 of them — except the first one of the game.

Coach P: "I think we've got a large number on the call sheet of first-down passes, there's no question about that," Pasqualoni said. "In this particular game, we just felt like we were going to try to stay ahead of the chains and try to avoid the early-down sack or the early-down blitz disruption, incomplete, second-and-10, that type of stuff. There was just so much going on on first down."… Linebackers Yawin Smallwood (14 tackles including 2 ½ sacks) and Sio Moore (seven tackles, 2 ½ sacks) along with special teams return man Nick Williams (58-yard punt return for a touchdown), were awarded game balls for their efforts."

Reaction Score
Of the 15 run plays on 1st down, I would venture to say that at least half of them went for less than 3 yards. Is there really that big of a risk? We have a very good 6'-6" TE, I wish we could throw the ball 3 yards down field and see what he could do on 1st down. I don't think that is a big risk...

Reaction Score
Well hell, with that kind of dynamic approach and aggressive thinking maybe we should just get it over with and punt on first down.
We had 21 first down plays Saturday. 12 of 21 resulted in gains of 2 yards or less; 8 of the last 12 were 2 yards or less. If WE know what's coming you can be damn sure the opposing d coordinators who have been looking at film 16 hours a day know too. Besides the unimaginative play calls PP & GD are sending a terrible message to the players that they don't trust them. Jeez a little play action or rollout can't be that much to ask.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
it's not just the fact that they are running, but that it is all straight ahead, between the tackles running play. Asking a 170 pound RB get through a 300 pound defensive tackle seems a little silly. At least run some misdirections and outside sweeps instead of trying to move the pile through sheer muscle.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That's great that the plays exist on a sheet... Now call the plays! Looking at YOU, Deleone! We had so many 2nd and long, 3rd and long situations... Unless you are flat out scared of Whitmer throwing picks, we had perfect opportunities for play action. Nothing fancy. Even if it's a 5 yard completion, it's more productive than whatever else we ran...

pj

Reaction Score
Great question. Translated answer: "We have a lot more confidence in our running game than our passing game ... Since our running game averages 2.9 yards a carry we know relying on the run will make us punt a lot ... But that's OK because we can rely on our defense to win games." My interpretation: the coaches are aiming too low.
"A man's reach should exceed his grasp" — Robert Browning

PS - Maryland's reputation coming in: strong against the run, weak against the pass. What will the game plan have been against a team with the opposite reputation? 16 of 16 first down runs?

Reaction Score
There is obviously no confidence in the passing game right now. When we do throw, Whitmer takes a short drop and looks to dump it off quickly. Very seldom does he take a normal drop and wait for a pattern to develop. We play like we are afraid to lose, which is essentially what Pasqualoni just said.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
NC St and MD have decent defenses. It's a tough way for an FBS inexperienced QB to start his career. Deleone and Whitmer have 2 more weeks to figure this out. If they continue to struggle the next two weeks, then decisions need to be made.

If the offense continues to be this inept, then I would start the BE season with McCummings at QB. If you are going to run on every first down, then you might as well throw the wrinkle of a running QB in there. Plus...supposedly the downside of SM was his accuracy...if Whitmer continues his pick rate, McCummings accuracy may be comparatively OK.

But...I think (hope?) we will see progress the next two weeks with Whitmer. I think he just needs to get comfortable and hopefully the next two weeks gets him there.

Reaction Score

Dez: "If there were more diversity on first down, could that help? And help the struggling offense, period?

Of the Huskies' 16 possession Saturday, they ran on first down on 15 of them — except the first one of the game.

Coach P: "I think we've got a large number on the call sheet of first-down passes, there's no question about that," Pasqualoni said. "In this particular game, we just felt like we were going to try to stay ahead of the chains and try to avoid the early-down sack or the early-down blitz disruption, incomplete, second-and-10, that type of stuff. There was just so much going on on first down."… Linebackers Yawin Smallwood (14 tackles including 2 ½ sacks) and Sio Moore (seven tackles, 2 ½ sacks) along with special teams return man Nick Williams (58-yard punt return for a touchdown), were awarded game balls for their efforts."

Note to Pasq: You weren't getting ahead (or staying ahead) of the chains on first down. Not in the first few first down runs and not later when everyone in the metropolitian corridor from Baltimore and DC knew you were running with Lyle on first down. Wow, you learned that with the Cowboys, huh. No wonder you were tapped at UConn. That's really some game management that surpassed only by tens of thousand of video gamers who have better concept of running a modern day offense. A shame Connecticut deserves (and should demand) better.

Reaction Score
With Coach P's lame response to Dez's question, is it safe to assume that neiither he nor Deleone believe in our offense?

Reaction Score
I get gioff. A win's a win. I'm happy we won, but it is frustrating to watch our offense spudder the way it does.

Reaction Score
it's not just the fact that they are running, but that it is all straight ahead, between the tackles running play. Asking a 170 pound RB get through a 300 pound defensive tackle seems a little silly. At least run some misdirections and outside sweeps instead of trying to move the pile through sheer muscle.

There are little guys that excel running in between the tackles, but McCombs doesn't fit that mold. He doesn't bounce off of guys at all. I keep hoping that he'll bounce one of the inside runs outside, because stretch plays don't seem to be in our arsenal.

Reaction Score
No answer for someone who has it wrong but thinks he is correct. Have to just wait the 3 years before he gets fired. Problem is the players are good enough to go bowling even with PP as coach, then what does Warde do.

Reaction Score
I read that and it confirmed my feeling that we just went in there planning to work on the run come hell or high water. And that's what they did. I'd like to see a bit more variety for sure. And I'd like to see more effective passing game, but taking everything into consideration, illness, Edsall stuff, it was a nice win on the road. But for a fluke play with offensive pass interference (and when I saw it the 2nd time it sure looked like the Maryland guy just ran through Mack), that is a good comfortable win.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The win was a good win. You just lessen your chances of winning when you are that inept and predictable on first down. Let's see how the next game is called.

Reaction Score
That is one of hell of a frustrating answer.....but what do you expect P to say? The irony is that the one throw on first down (the first play from scrimmage) was an 8 yard gain to Frank. You don't have to throw it deep on first down, just mix it up a little.

Reaction Score
I give P credit for answering the question with a nothing answer. Randy would not have entertained such a question. I agree with the poster who said they're trying not to lose rather than going out there and winning the game. The next two games will be very telling IMO.

Right now I don't like the body language of the offensive players. I think guys like Smith, Phillips, and Griffin are frustrated, because they are not being given a chance to contribute to the offense. Throw in Davis in there as well. We know Smith and Griffin can be valuable contributors on offense at this level because they have proven it before. It is up to the coaches opinion to get the most out of these guys.

Reaction Score
When you are coaching a team, you need to focus on development - on the field and in between the ears. Coming off the first 2 games what we know we have is a strong D, good STs, and an O under development, both on the field and in the confidence room. Opening up the playbook is nice and plays well on Madden12, but it doesn't really solve your problems. I want an O that lights it up, but let's be honest, so you see any playmakers out there? I was excited to see Phillips, but he needs to step up his game, big time. Mike Smith is what he is. Geremy Davis is learning that 1A CBs play a bit tougher than IAA CBs. I love Ryan Griffin, but honestly, I am looking for him on the back of my cereal box. Delahunt - I cringe everytime he goes out on a pattern, and he is one of our leading receivers. If you were a DC, which one of those guys has you tossing and turning at night? You need to double any of them? You backing up for any of them?

For now, the plan seems simple and time tested - build up the O's confidence by putting them in 3rd and short to middle yardage packages, not 3rd and long. Develop chemistry and confidence. Run some clock and play for field position. Let your D and STs create field position and try to get them some rest - particualrly on a day when 1/2 of them are dealing w/the whiparounds. It ain't pretty, but other than saying I want to throw on 1st down, exactly who are you throwing to and how are you creating space for them?

Last year, we figured a way to lose a game like Sat's - this year we figured out a way to win. I'd like to see a more prolific O, but I prefer a win.

Reaction Score
With Coach P's lame response to Dez's question, is it safe to assume that neiither he nor Deleone believe in our offense?
Yup. They don't believe they can rely on our passing game to get us out of 2nd or 3rd and long situations, so we run the ball on first down every time. So the defenses stack the box against us and we gain 2 yards. No confidence in the passing game, so they try to shorten the game by running. I hope that changes in the next few weeks. I will say that Maryland and NC State had good, but not great defenses, probably better than we'll face the rest of this season.

Looks like Randy cleaned house last year but still was able to recruit some real good players. Hills, Brown and Diggs are really good. We've seen Diggs' act before, wearing a West Virginia uniform. That's the type of player we haven't been able to get here.

Reaction Score
Unlike Gioff I am not giving PP/GD a pass because we escaped with a win thanks to our kick-butt defense. We should be 3-0 but are very fortunate to be 2-1 because the Don Brown & the defense are saving the offensive coaches' butts. And a little disingenuous to describe Maryland as an "undefeated BCS team". While accurate they beat freaking Wm & Mary 7-6. If we won at Tuscaloosa or Gainesville that's a horse of a different color.

Reaction Score
Yup. They don't believe they can rely on our passing game to get us out of 2nd or 3rd and long situations, so we run the ball on first down every time. So the defenses stack the box against us and we gain 2 yards. No confidence in the passing game, so they try to shorten the game by running. I hope that changes in the next few weeks. I will say that Maryland and NC State had good, but not great defenses, probably better than we'll face the rest of this season.

Looks like Randy cleaned house last year but still was able to recruit some real good players. Hills, Brown and Diggs are really good. We've seen Diggs' act before, wearing a West Virginia uniform. That's the type of player we haven't been able to get here.

Bingo!

Reaction Score
When you are coaching a team, you need to focus on development - on the field and in between the ears. Coming off the first 2 games what we know we have is a strong D, good STs, and an O under development, both on the field and in the confidence room. Opening up the playbook is nice and plays well on Madden12, but it doesn't really solve your problems. I want an O that lights it up, but let's be honest, so you see any playmakers out there? I was excited to see Phillips, but he needs to step up his game, big time. Mike Smith is what he is. Geremy Davis is learning that 1A CBs play a bit tougher than IAA CBs. I love Ryan Griffin, but honestly, I am looking for him on the back of my cereal box. Delahunt - I cringe everytime he goes out on a pattern, and he is one of our leading receivers. If you were a DC, which one of those guys has you tossing and turning at night? You need to double any of them? You backing up for any of them?

For now, the plan seems simple and time tested - build up the O's confidence by putting them in 3rd and short to middle yardage packages, not 3rd and long. Develop chemistry and confidence. Run some clock and play for field position. Let your D and STs create field position and try to get them some rest - particualrly on a day when 1/2 of them are dealing w/the whiparounds. It ain't pretty, but other than saying I want to throw on 1st down, exactly who are you throwing to and how are you creating space for them?

Last year, we figured a way to lose a game like Sat's - this year we figured out a way to win. I'd like to see a more prolific O, but I prefer a win.

How many third and longs were we in after running on first and second down? Mike Smith had over 600, receiving yards two years ago. He has ability. To me, your talking about game breakers. We don't have any, and that includes McCombs, on offense. We have seen better offensive concepts from FCS teams that have come to the rent. Heck, we saw a better attempt by Deleon last year. So what we lost the Vandy game last year cause we got aggressive and it blew up in our face? We lost to NC state this year being ultra conservative on offense.

Develop the players you have. I don't expect us to be Texas tech. I do believe it is not a stretch to expect an offense at the level of Syracuse or Pitt. Nassib is now a senior, I don't expect that level of play from our qb, but the reason he has developed and his receivers have developed is because they haven't been afraid to throw the rock going back to his freshman year.

Its simply can't be as hard to develop a passing game as it seems. We will find out the next two games if this offensive staff has what it takes. If we develop an average offense we could challenge for a BCS bid.

Reaction Score

No this year in one game fhcRE figured out how to lose the game. Any other coach not named PP would have gotten team to at least FG range.

Reaction Score

Actually 2nd and 10 would be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom