Detroit Lions seem to like ex-UCONN Head Coaches | The Boneyard

Detroit Lions seem to like ex-UCONN Head Coaches

Reaction Score
Just saw this in Coaches Scoop...

Detroit Lions: Boston College defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni is reportedly a “target” for defensive coordinator of the Lions under Matt Patricia. Ian Rapoport tweets Pasqualoni “could take a job on the staff after the Super Bowl.” Pasqualoni has been the head coach at Western Connecticut State, Syracuse, and UConn and has coached on both sides of the ball at the NFL level, including defensive coordinator stints with the Dolphins and Cowboys and defensive line jobs with the Bears, Texans, and most recently at Boston College, where he spent the last two seasons.

And I thought the Boneyard killed this guy! LOL

Reaction Score
I don’t think he is a bad position coach. I just don’t think he had the fire left to be an effective head coach at the collegiate level. Stinks we found that out the hard way because he started the spark in the dumpster and then Diaco poured the gasoline.

Reaction Score
Can't imaging Pasqualoni being a defensive coordinator and calling defensive schemes in the complex NFL world. He was lost as a game situation coach at UConn and that was 4 years ago.

Reaction Score
I think he just had been away from the college game for too long and couldn’t relate to kids. As a position coach he was fine and as an NFL coordinator he will be ok too

Reaction Score
Just saw this in Coaches Scoop...

Detroit Lions: Boston College defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni is reportedly a “target” for defensive coordinator of the Lions under Matt Patricia. Ian Rapoport tweets Pasqualoni “could take a job on the staff after the Super Bowl.” Pasqualoni has been the head coach at Western Connecticut State, Syracuse, and UConn and has coached on both sides of the ball at the NFL level, including defensive coordinator stints with the Dolphins and Cowboys and defensive line jobs with the Bears, Texans, and most recently at Boston College, where he spent the last two seasons.

And I thought the Boneyard killed this guy! LOL
Cant kill a Zombie Vampire very easily...

Reaction Score
DC of the Lions is not a position coach. It's a coordinator job. Remember, P was the defensive coordinator of the Cowboys. So he has time in that role.

Looking back, one thing I never understood. Pasqualoni was DC of the Dallas Cowboys and came directly to UConn. And all the newspapers ignored that and kept calling him the former Syracuse head coach. UConn should have been screaming from the rafters that they had just hired the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys. They blew a chance for great messaging and something that would have meant something to recruits. Instead we were treated to story after story that UConn hired a retread former Syracuse coach.

Reaction Score
Patrica will probably be calling plays of the defensive side of the ball no matter who his coordinator is.

Reaction Score
Can't imaging Pasqualoni being a defensive coordinator and calling defensive schemes in the complex NFL world. He was lost as a game situation coach at UConn and that was 4 years ago.

For Pete's sake, PP was D Coordinator for the Dolphins and the Cowboys! I imagine he knows how to get it done.

Reaction Score
DC of the Lions is not a position coach. It's a coordinator job. Remember, P was the defensive coordinator of the Cowboys. So he has time in that role.

Looking back, one thing I never understood. Pasqualoni was DC of the Dallas Cowboys and came directly to UConn. And all the newspapers ignored that and kept calling him the former Syracuse head coach. UConn should have been screaming from the rafters that they had just hired the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys. They blew a chance for great messaging and something that would have meant something to recruits. Instead we were treated to story after story that UConn hired a retread former Syracuse coach.

Good point. I do think it was cited but perhaps not enough

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I still don't understand this narrative. P's recruiting prowess is massively overrated.

I didn't say great. I said good. Newsome, Lagow, Fatukasi, etc. It certainly was miles better than Diaco...

Reaction Score
Patrica will probably be calling plays of the defensive side of the ball no matter who his coordinator is.
Completely agree so given Pasqualoni gave him his first football job outside of RPI this smacks as a bit of a comfort hire and not skill seeking hire...

Reaction Score

You got one here Pal, they promoted him as the winningest ( HC word ) coach in Big East history. This while the fans were lamenting our new conference. They never mentioned the fact he did not leave Cuse on his own free will and on a very low note...

Reaction Score
The only thing wrong with HCPP is that he didn't know how to relate to kids barely out of HS after coming from the maturity of the players in the NFL. Couldn't cheer lead. Always looking down at his feet, scowling, and grinding his teeth in frustration. His body language was all wrong, just terrible.

But I remember that midweek away game against Pitt that UConn lost on national TV. Lou Holtz was doing color and could not stop raving about the sophisticated things UConn was doing on D.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
DeMarcus Ware praised Pasqualoni for helping him in the latter part of his career. I think he would be okay on the pro level and would root for him to do well. He is a good guy, who just wasn't prepared for modern college football otherwise he would have left Deleone on the offensive line and not as the OC.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I will never root for PP, no matter how “good” he is as a position coach.

Reaction Score
Completely agree so given Pasqualoni gave him his first football job outside of RPI this smacks as a bit of a comfort hire and not skill seeking hire...

That's not what Patricia said. He has a lot more respect for him than many on the Boneyard.

“It was obviously a great opportunity for me to go home," Patricia said last week of working with Pasqualoni. "Syracuse was home for me, and when you grew up in that area there really is no professional sports, so at the time it was Syracuse football, Syracuse basketball, that’s kind of what it is out there. And to have that opportunity to go back and then just to see kind of Coach Pasqualoni’s, the way that he handled the team, the way that he coached the team and the way that just everything was in order, very much sort of how you would want a football team run.”

The Lions announced several other coaching moves Monday, many of them previously reported. Jeff Davidson takes over as offensive line coach, Brian Stewart will coach defensive backs, Chris White is the new tight ends coach, and David Corrao will be Patricia's director of football research.

Al Golden, who coached tight ends for the Lions last season, will coach linebackers in 2018, and George Godsey, a defense special projects assistant last year, has been promoted to quarterbacks coach.

Detroit Lions hire Paul Pasqualoni, several former Syracuse coaches for new staff

Reaction Score
If Pasqualoni was good at recruiting or at managing a Roster in 2010s CFB ... you wouldn't have had Johnny McEntee as your QB. With all due respect.

The best thing about PP as DC in the NFL is that he can't carry George DeLeone around with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom