DeShields 3TO in < 5 mins | The Boneyard

DeShields 3TO in < 5 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hstchell's health or no, she clearly would have struggled more at UConn but been developed much better by Geno. Fact.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
What a turnaround. NC State was up 10, now down 6.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Does the Wolfpack smell blood?

if they did... they lost the scent

not watching the game, so not sure about deshields and her turnovers. but i did read that she as a few broken bones in her left hand... not sure if that is affecting her game or not.

Reaction Score
UNC 45 NC State 29 at halftime

De Shields 14 points 5 rebounds and 5 turnovers

Diamond is half way to a triple double

Reaction Score
She does have a huge bandage on her left hand. Might be the reason for some of those turnovers.

Reaction Score
She does have a huge bandage on her left hand. Might be the reason for some of those turnovers.

The bandage was not a factor. She had a couple of traveling calls, 2 charges, and stepped out of bounds.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Lady Wolfpack (!) coming back strong; down 73-68 with 2 minutes to play.

Reaction Score
The bandage was not a factor. She had a couple of traveling calls, 2 charges, and stepped out of bounds.
She was a bad 3pt shooter and turnover machine before the hand injury. She shoots too much and is one of the worst shooters on the team in general. I'm still glad UNC beat Not Our State.

I have a question? How would Geno handle a player like Diamond that shoots too much and has a bad shot selection?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is the same DeShields that had 21 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Wasn't DeShields high school friend on NC State? I believe they played on the same AAU team. I think her name was Kaela Davis or something like that... I had heard that Kaela was better than Diamond... Did Kaela play tonight?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wasn't DeShields high school friend on NC State? I believe they played on the same AAU team. I think her name was Kaela Davis or something like that... I had heard that Kaela was better than Diamond... Did Kaela play tonight?

That Kaela Davis at Georgia Tech.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Oh....thanks. I once saw a video of her and she looked to be an All American type of player.

Actually, I just looked her up...she is averaging 18.2 points per game but she seems to take a lot of shots...she is 83 for 218 from the floor for .381 percent and 36 for 115 from three point for a .313 average. She also gets 6.2 rebounds, 1.1 steals. She has 21 assists and 49 turnovers.

She is doing well for a freshman but not quite All American material.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yep. She also shot 6-15, 0-4 on three's and had SEVEN turnovers.
When you're shooting under 20% for the 3-pt, you'd think at some point you'd realize it might be better just to drive inside and pick up the fouls. 9-10 on FTs, that's where she should be living all the time. Forget about the long bricks.

Reaction Score
Diamond is immensely talented. Hopefully she matures and develops and becomes a great player. Wearing #23 at UNC- Jordan and Charlotte Smith- is pretty bold.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
Though State showed some fight, still a disappointing performance by our ladies last night. Our team is better than they played last night. And I'm going to call it now: The Pack will beat UNCCheat in Raleigh on Feb. 16. It's our Hoops for Hope/Play 4 Kay game.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
She was a bad 3pt shooter and turnover machine before the hand injury. She shoots too much and is one of the worst shooters on the team in general. I'm still glad UNC beat Not Our State.

I have a question? How would Geno handle a player like Diamond that shoots too much and has a bad shot selection?

I'll take at least a partial shot at answering your question, Siv ..

What I think he'd do is, make his expectations very clear - showing her what's she's doing wrong, and explain/show her how he wants it done. Lots of film examples of both good and bad, lots of work in practice. Up to now, no different than what any good coach would do. Geno has, however, two options most coaches don't have. First, he has alternatives - he has high-school all-American guards on the bench. If one of his two starting guards refuses to do things his way, well then, they're sitting down and BB or SC are going in, or KML is swinging over to the 2 spot, and MT or KS are up front. There are only a handful of teams that have that kind of quality depth - which was plainly evident when KML and MT missed games.

Second, he has a stature that, with Pat Summit retired, is unchallenged in WCBB. Nobody has had as much success as he has, nationally and internationally. And, he's still at the top of 2014. So, if "push comes to shove" in a battle of wills between a player (particularly a freshman) and Geno, he doesn't have to think "short-term" - "what does this mean for this week, this month, this season?" He's always thought more about March than November, and he's shown no sign of compromising his principles for short-term gains. He can take a "step-backwards" in the short-term, because he's got enormous cred.

He won't accept a good player "cheating their talent" on his watch. That's not to say that Geno is always successful in getting everything he wants from a player - it takes two to tango. Charde Houston may have been the biggest struggle he's had in recent years, and, I still don't fully understand that relationship. So, it isn't a pass/fail, fair/foul, black/white sort of situation - there are shades of grey, and at least a bit of compromise. But, probably not a whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom