Des Conner on WTIC Sportstalk... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Des Conner on WTIC Sportstalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't really think Dez is much different than your average poster. He hated Edsall and likes PP so to further that agenda he puts more blame on the players than coaches.

Based on Dez's analysis of players in the past I don't put much stock in him as a judge of talent. Of course players still have to execute but when you take what I feel is 7-8 win talent two years in a row and barely win that many games over the course of two seasons we are going to land on different ends of the blame spectrum.

Reaction Score
Like global cooling, until it was warming, except now it's climate change.

I don't recall anyone making the argument that the two are mutually exclusive. You're not defending the coaches, you're not defending Dez, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

I was defending a particular statement Dez made as being innocuous. Apparently, I'm supposed to accept that everything he says is wrong.

I've wasted enough time defending Dez. As I said, plenty that he does that I'm not a fan of.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
So when Byron Jones dropped the pick Saturday night that would have given us the lead and might very well have cost us the game, that was something other than a failure of execution? Coaches fault for having killed his confidence prior to his not making the play?

I thought coaches of players who make that catch or hit the FG's in the Temple game get to F the head cheerleader.

You are completely contradicting yourself.

Reaction Score
When you get the access to the coaches and players like Des has gotten what do you think he's gonna say?

With Edsall not so much.

Reaction Score
I thought coaches of players who make that catch or hit the FG's in the Temple game get to F the head cheerleader.

You are completely contradicting yourself.

Yellow card.

Reaction Score
Just read through the live chat transcript on the TIC website 2 interesting things.
1) Des mentioned that the running game might be helped by using another RB but the coaches are being stubborn. This goes back to PP saying he likes to stay with one RB which drives me nuts. Christ, Butch Jones is talking about a QB competition and sat Laqeaux last game as he won't put up with inconsistency from players. What a novel idea! And they are winning!!
2) Someone said they heard from players family that GDL is reaming the scout team out when they blow up plays by our offense. Also Des mentions how GDL could care less about being d'''. There are many ways to motivate a team but what GDL is doing isn't working. Especially considering that he is a fossil. He is a cancer that needs to go- my opinion there.

Reaction Score
Just read through the live chat transcript on the TIC website 2 interesting things.
1) Des mentioned that the running game might be helped by using another RB but the coaches are being stubborn. This goes back to PP saying he likes to stay with one RB which drives me nuts. Christ, Butch Jones is talking about a QB competition and sat Laqeaux last game as he won't put up with inconsistency from players. What a novel idea! And they are winning!!
2) Someone said they heard from players family that GDL is reaming the scout team out when they blow up plays by our offense. Also Des mentions how GDL could care less about being d'''. There are many ways to motivate a team but what GDL is doing isn't working. Especially considering that he is a fossil. He is a cancer that needs to go- my opinion there.

I give Dez credit for continuing to hold them but they are becoming a bit of a joke. Same arguments week to week just with different pseudonyms. I'll tell you what...that post by the alleged "9 y/o" was more articulate than 95% of the posts here. Not arguing with the message but I have a spot in the Sugar Bowl available if you believe that was written by a kid.

Reaction Score
I love this board - you could type Man Lands on the Moon and someone would respond who cares, PP and GDL suck. They may, but I'm not sure hijacking every thread to repeat that is entirely necessary.

1. Why are folks so pissed at the messenger? You do understand his job is to report, not provide opinions. I understand that the difference has gotten blurred with some of the hard hitting news folks see on CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc., but he is the messenger. You can shoot him, but it won't change one single thing. Besides, read any coachspeak after a loss and you'll see we didn't execute, we didn't take care of details, etc. It's frigging coachspeak!

2. I am in the camp of the D will be just fine next year and expect little if any dropoff. Folks were nervous when 3 young pups named Lutrus, Bama and Lloyd were thrust in to starting roles, and the dropoff has been .... Folks were nervous when young pups BWW and Gratz were thrown in to the fire, particularly the latter who stepped in under the worst of circumstances,a dn the dropoff has been ..... There is depth here - the young LBs behind the starters will be really good. Jones at CB will be terrific. One of the FL kids will step up and grab the other corner, with Stephenson as nickel. You can already see Adams' play. If Jesse comes back, great. If not, Norris and Battles-Santos and Pruitt and Willman will step up. It's the nature of the beast, but we've seen this before - how can we replace ...., and each time we have.

Now, back to the regualrly scheduled I hate GDL portion of the show ....

Reaction Score
So when Byron Jones dropped the pick Saturday night that would have given us the lead and might very well have cost us the game, that was something other than a failure of execution? Coaches fault for having killed his confidence prior to his not making the play? What.

Sometimes, this board is like Fox News or MSNBC. Once "the crowd" makes up its mind about somebody, then everything they do is wrong and nothing is right. I am not a big fan of Dez's, and this staff has overall failed to date, but not everything that talks about something other than these factors is wrong just because of those factors.

Players have to execute. And coaches have to coach and scheme. They are not anywhere near mutually exclusive.

The defense isn't the problem BL it's the coaches on the offensive-side of the ball... If we didn't suck on offense because of poor coaching then Byron Jones drop wouldn't be a big deal... that's why he's a safety not a WR!

What causes us the game is coach DL's poor play calling, he's continuing to use the wildcat after big plays and 99% of the time its a run, giving the O-Line stupid assignments, not rotating RB's, running 166 lbs RB up the gut 30 times a game, no adjustments..... all this easily caused us every game, not Byron Jones drop which is minuscule to the bigger issue!

I understand player's have to execute, however having to execute when the opposing defense knows exactly what your going to do on offense makes it really difficult to execute...

USF was 85th in the country against the run and we only rushed for about 40 yards!!! that defense knew exactly what they needed to do! It starts with the coaches BL.

Reaction Score
I was defending a particular statement Dez made as being innocuous. Apparently, I'm supposed to accept that everything he says is wrong.

I've wasted enough time defending Dez. As I said, plenty that he does that I'm not a fan of.
I don't know why you create strawmen. That's nelson's job.

The statement implies the coaches are doing everything right, the players are not. You never defended that as being true, you simply restated it in your own words. Yes, players have to execute no matter what. Dez implied the coach's are doing their job, that's highly debatable.

Reaction Score
I love this board - you could type Man Lands on the Moon and someone would respond who cares, PP and GDL suck. They may, but I'm not sure hijacking every thread to repeat that is entirely necessary.

1. Why are folks so pissed at the messenger? You do understand his job is to report, not provide opinions. I understand that the difference has gotten blurred with some of the hard hitting news folks see on CNN, MSNBC, Fox, etc., but he is the messenger. You can shoot him, but it won't change one single thing. Besides, read any coachspeak after a loss and you'll see we didn't execute, we didn't take care of details, etc. It's frigging coachspeak!

2. I am in the camp of the D will be just fine next year and expect little if any dropoff. Folks were nervous when 3 young pups named Lutrus, Bama and Lloyd were thrust in to starting roles, and the dropoff has been .... Folks were nervous when young pups BWW and Gratz were thrown in to the fire, particularly the latter who stepped in under the worst of circumstances,a dn the dropoff has been ..... There is depth here - the young LBs behind the starters will be really good. Jones at CB will be terrific. One of the FL kids will step up and grab the other corner, with Stephenson as nickel. You can already see Adams' play. If Jesse comes back, great. If not, Norris and Battles-Santos and Pruitt and Willman will step up. It's the nature of the beast, but we've seen this before - how can we replace ...., and each time we have.

Now, back to the regualrly scheduled I hate GDL portion of the show ....

I always thought we'd have a great RB and. Oline to step up, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom