DePaul Scouting Report | The Boneyard

DePaul Scouting Report

Reaction Score
DePaul (2-9)
#241 in KenPom

259th in Offensive efficiency
  • 39th in A/FGM (59%)
  • 77th in FTA/FGA
  • 139th w/ a 34.1 3P%; 37.7% of FGAs from 3 (~median)
  • 233rd in offensive tempo
  • 246th w/ a 47.9 2P%
  • 320th in turnover prevention
  • 340th in offensive rebounding rate

201st in Defensive efficiency
  • 65th in opp. Average possession length (16.6 second/possession)
  • 90th in 3PA/FGA prevention (34.7%); opp 3P% 36.2% (303rd)
  • 141st in FTA/FGA prevention
  • 226th in opp. 2P% (51.5%)
  • 246th in turnovers caused
  • 271st in defensive rebounding rate

Results from last four games (67th toughest non-conference schedule)
  • L 64-89 at Texas A&M (KP 22)
  • W 75-68 vs Louisville (KP 186)
  • L 46-56 vs Northwestern (KP 55)
  • L 84-48 vs Villanova (KP 24)
  • ??? vs Chicago State (KP 313), game is Saturday

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Caleb Murphy 6’4 182 senior will start at PG if healthy (was a GTD vs Villanova, wrist)
  • 6.4p, 2.0a, 2.0 TO, 53.3 2P%, 0 3PA, top FT rate on team,

Chico Carter 6’2 198 grad transfer from South Carolina
  • 13.7p, 3.3r, 4.4a, 2.2 TO, 53.4 2P%, 41.2 3P%, ½ FGAs from 3, 74.3 FT%
  • Highest offensive rating on team
  • 2nd lowest defensive rating on team

Jaden Henley 6’7 201 sophomore transfer from Minnesota (likely moves to bench if Murphy back)
  • 5.9p, 2.6r, 1.7a, 1.8 T), 40 2P%, 25 3P%, 75% FGAs from 2
  • Highest defensive rating on team

Elijah Fisher 6’6 220 sophomore transfer from Texas Tech
  • 9.2p, 4.0r, 1.9a, 1.8 TO, 57.1 2P%, 23.5 3P%, 80%+ FGAs from 2, highest FT rate on team, 71.4 FT%
  • 4th best defensive rating on team

Jeremiah Oden 6’9 208 senior transfer from Wyoming
  • 12.1p, 4.1r, 40 2P%, 42.6 3P%, ½ FGAs from 3, 82.9 FT%
  • 4th worst defensive rating on team

Da’Sean Nelson 6’8 220 senior
  • 10p, 4.3r, 2.2a, 1.9 TO, 48 2P%, 22.7 3P%, ¼ FGAs from 3, 65.7 FT%
  • 3rd lowest defensive rate on team

FREQUENTLY USED BENCH PIECES - 25.3% minutes (312nd in nation)

Jalen Terry 6’0 160 senior
  • 3 games (just returned from injury)
  • Career 43.6 2P%, 33.6 3P%, 79.7 FT%, ½ FGAs from 3, solid defensive metrics

KT Raimey 6’3 178 senior
  • 7.1p, 2.6r, 40.4 3P%, 80%+ FGAs from 3
  • Worst defensive rating on team

Churchill Abass 6’9 250 freshman
  • 2.2p, 2.6r, 0.9b (only somewhat consistent shot blocker on team)
  • Third best defensive rating on team

SPARINGLY USED BENCH PIECES - 3-10 mpg and play most games

Mac Etienne 6’10 230 junior transfer from UCLA, plays 3-7 mpg
Keyondre Young 6’9 194 junior transfer from Valpo, plays 75% of games, 8ish mpg

DePaul's still got a game to play, but I figure since we're dying for content why not send the scouting report early?

Long time Dana Altman assistant Tony Stubblefield is now in his third season leading DePaul. Personally, I didn’t hate the talent on last year’s squad but the injury bug hit the squad as Nick Ongenda, Caleb Murphy, Jalen Terry, Yor Anei and Zion Cruz – who each started at least one game last season – all missed nine or more games.

This season marks the 45th anniversary of the Blue Demons’ last Final Four and 20 years since their last NCAA Tournament bid and the Blue Demons have quite the refresh of their roster after losing five of the top six scorers from last year’s team that lost 13 of their final 14 games.

Stubblefield’s goal this offseason was to add length, athleticism and positional versatility, which makes sense because during Stubblefield’s time as Dana Altman’s assistant at Oregon, their best teams featured two guards and multiple mismatch forwards.

Similar to last year, DePaul’s rotations feature multiple distributors and perimeter shooters, but are woefully weak in the frontcourt. I, for one, expected UCLA transfer Mac Etienne to become a key cog in the frontcourt, but he is a sparingly used third big.

Speaking of bigs, few Blue Demons have pigeon-holed roles. Senior Jalen Terry is a classic, undersized pass-first two-way point guard while freshman Churchhill Abass, who didn’t start playing basketball until he was fifteen and arrived to Chicago from Nigeria in August, is a raw, low-post project big with an impressive 7’2 wingspan and 38-inch vertical. Of course, Etienne is more of a classic big, too.

That being said, the starting lineup is flawed and might not have a ton of skill, synergy or awareness, but they are certainly versatile.

The head of the shake is Chico Carter Jr., a perpetually excellent perimeter shooter who was mainly just a scorer at Murray State and South Carolina, but has stepped up as DePaul’s de facto point guard and blossoming rim attacker.

The frontcourt is locked down by senior returnee Da’Sean Nelson and Jeremiah Oden. Forced into a starting role last season due to the injuries to Ognenda and Anei, Nelson became one of the best newcomers in the Big East last season thanks to his versatile offensive toolbox, relentless motor and impressive athleticism. Nelson, however, is just 6’8 220 and as DePaul’s de facto “big”, he is one of the weakest rebounders and defenders at that position within the conference. I like him, though.

Oden is a Chicago native whose father played two seasons at DePaul. Known for his athleticism, length, leadership abilities and shooting, Oden is one of the few Blue Demons with low assist rates, but he’s a willing three-level scorer and an excellent perimeter spacer.

Perhaps the most exciting addition this offseason is former top-50 2023 reclass Canadian Elijah Fisher. Transferring to DePaul from Texas Tech following Mark Adams’ firing, Fisher is a true positionless “wing” who is physical, strong and can defend multiple positions. While not a strong shooter, who lets it fly enough from deep to keep defenses honest, but he’s a downhill scorer who is unselfish, but mistake prone.

Whether he starts or plays off the bench, Minnesota transfer Jaden Henley is an incredibly long 6’7 athlete who has played all three backcourt positions at both Minnesota and DePaul. He’s an awful shooter and like Fisher, is unselfish and mistake prone, but is easily DePaul’s best defender. Just a sophomore, as he grows, I can see him becoming one of the best lockdown defenders in the Big East. Shades of Andre Jackson.

A GTD last game against Villanova (wrist), Caleb Murphy is a bit of an enigma. At South Florida, the big combo guard was a high-usage, low efficiency ball-dominant guard, but as he’s aged, he has become more of a depth guard. However, Murphy has still got potential as one of, if not the best rim-attacker on the roster and a fearlessness to take over a game, but injuries have affected three of his first four seasons. If he plays, he's a literal non-factor on the perimeter.

Off the bench, KT Raimey is a decently sized perimeter spacer, but lacks strength to be a consistent factor inside the arc.

Overall, DePaul’s proneness to turnovers provides UConn a juicy opportunity to feast off transition buckets – paging Samson Johnson. That being said, despite their flaws, DePaul prides themselves on gusto, so their issues aren’t due to a lack of effort.

No Clingan, but in the grinder of the Big East, Tuesday’s matchup against DePaul marks a two-week, four-game span that is arguably their softest multi-game regular season stretch of the season (second only to a stretch in February when they play Georgetown, followed by DePaul).

Reaction Score
Sounds like they are a team that will try to switch off ball as much as possible since they have the athletes to guard multiple positions. But looking for Newton/Castle to terrorize their backcourt, and the rest of the guys to feed off of them for good looks

Reaction Score
There's a blast from the past. Remember when UConn was recruiting him? He was a top 40-50 recruit. And now he's at DePaul and isn't playing much. What happened to him?

He absolutely stunk at UCLA and got arrested for spitting in a fan's face.

Reaction Score
There's a blast from the past. Remember when UConn was recruiting him? He was a top 40-50 recruit. And now he's at DePaul and isn't playing much. What happened to him?
I seem to remember some boneyarders were killing Hurley for not recruiting him

Reaction Score
Hopefully Caleb Murphy is back for them. He's one of the worst players in high major history.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Caleb Murphy is back for them. He's one of the worst players in high major history.
Haha, Murphy didn't play today, but I agree DePaul is better without Murphy. With Henley in the lineup, he's just as inefficient as an offensive player, but low usage, but a world better on defense.

Honestly DePaul played better today than I expected.

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 8.27.02 PM.png

Reaction Score
I remember really wanting Mac Etienne and was upset he went to UCLA (he’s from Connecticut, for context). But holy, he can’t even start at DePaul as a Junior.

Reaction Score
I remember really wanting Mac Etienne and was upset he went to UCLA (he’s from Connecticut, for context). But holy, he can’t even start at DePaul as a Junior.

Let’s this be a reminder, careful what your wishes are for the New Year’s tonight

Reaction Score
DePaul isn't a good team. But against Chicago Circle AKA Chicago State they played their "A" game and assisted on 19 of 26 baskets. I expect they will regress toward the mean versus us.

Reaction Score
This game gives me Georgetown at Gampel last year vibes, which is not great! happy new years to the yard tho.

Reaction Score
So, we all know DePaul is bad: they're 3-20.

However, statistically, I didn't realize they were this bad. I can't upload pictures right now, but DePaul is dead last in BOTH offensive and defensive efficiency ratings.

According to KenPom, early season non-conference opponent New Hampshire is currently 100 ranks better than DePaul while NAU is just nine ranks below DePaul.

To make matters worse, DePaul's top scorer (11.8 ppg), shooter (37.6 3P%) and distributor (3.7a/1.9 TO) Chico Carter is out with a rib injury.

Also, interestingly, interim head coach Matt Brady (coached four years at Marist and eight years at James Madison) has started freshman Churchill Abass at center over Da'Sean Nelson.

I shared this in my original post, but Abass didn’t start playing basketball until he was fifteen and arrived to Chicago from Nigeria in August. Abass is 6'9 250 and owns an impressive 7’2 wingspan and 38-inch vertical. Etienne is playing more too. Both are capable rim protectors.

6'7 defensive stud Jaden Henley has been playing most of his minutes at the 2, DePaul is one of the bigger teams in the conference from 2-through-5, especially with Nelson playing less in general and more power forward than last year and earlier this season.

Overall, DePaul can't shoot, rebound and they give up a ton of turnovers, so I expect a lot of transition scoring that provide all of us at least some sort of climax this Valentine's Day.

Reaction Score
I was reading the pre-game article from the New Haven Register and DePaul won't have any starters tomorrow who average double digit scoring. UConn will have all 5. That's pretty crazy. Can't remember ever seeing that although I'm sure it's happened.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley would like to keep Donovan's minutes high. Keep his conditioning improving. Thar will serve us well when we need him.

DePaul has fallen in the rankings since we played them. They are now Kenpom 299 Down 50 spots, 288th in offensive efficiency and 279th in defensive efficiency.

Reaction Score
UConn has won 12 in a row, DePaul has lost 11 in a row. Plenty of run for the bench tomorrow. Breakout game for Stewart?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom