DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
C'mon man, 0 points w/ 6 TO's with 9 assists is not what I would call a good game by normal Nika standards. That kind of performance won't lead a team to the promise land.
The team would be completely different if she had a drive move with a stop and pull up jump shot from 15 feet and in. That kind of move would prevent any defender on her from sloughing off of her. There were several times last night on breaks or transition where she was able to partially penetrate and pull up but she did not. She is physically strong enough to shoot that shot and it will change her as a player overnight. It's a hard shot though, it takes thousands to get it into muscle memory, but she will be the best PG in the country if she gets that and works on her 3 release. Everything else is there. She seems frustrated offensively but that's because she does not have that shot so she is limited to drives to an open basket, layups off of steals, and 3 point shots.

Reaction Score
C'mon man, 0 points w/ 6 TO's with 9 assists is not what I would call a good game by normal Nika standards. That kind of performance won't lead a team to the promise land.
and yet they beat a decent DePaul team with perhaps the most dominant player (other than Aaliyah) in the BE by 40 points.

Dont care if she scores 0, i’ll take her 10 assists, defense, and guts any day

JBK

Reaction Score
You missed my point. With better teams upcoming that get back on defense, we may have to run an offense - they will double Lou going forward if Nika is absolutely no threat.
I hope Azzi / Caroline is back and that takes care of the potential problem, but who knows. In the 40 point wins - just wanted to see her gain more confidence in her shot. She may be left wide open going forward.
We will not be scoring 90 plus vs SC -

Reaction Score
These five women have improved drastically since Azzi went down in the Notre Dame game. This constant back and forth about who needs to do more or who isn't doing enough is ridiculous. They are playing as a team which is what basketball is all about.

Reaction Score
You missed my point. With better teams upcoming that get back on defense, we may have to run an offense - they will double Lou going forward if Nika is absolutely no threat.
I hope Azzi / Caroline is back and that takes care of the potential problem, but who knows. In the 40 point wins - just wanted to see her gain more confidence in her shot. She may be left wide open going forward.
Azzi won't play against South Carolina, but I agree it'll be a tough night if we're playing them 5 on 4.

JBK

Reaction Score
I love our starting five as well.
Are you opposed to Nika scoring ?
In the 11 national championships we always had a point guard that was a threat. Nika may be able to keep the defense honest by hitting the shot if left open.
I agree with the comment that with Azzi and Caroline back I can care less - but against SC we may just have Lou.
According to coach A - Nika has been practicing 3s all day in practice - hence his enthusiasm with hitting one.
Confidence vs skills mean a lot.
I am not talking that she needs to score vs weaker opponents that let us run up and down the court. - I just want her shooting confidence high for SC

Reaction Score
We can preach all we want, but the sinners need to repent.

In addition two the non-stat leadership I have talked about, I'd add that the assists drastically under-describe Nika's passing effectiveness. She's like a chess player: many of the moves are not checks but they improve the attack profile, the overall strength of the team's offensive posture (not to mention the missed easy baskets, the "shouda been" assists).

The only negative I'm willing to hear a case for are the turnovers. There are going to be turnovers with the aggressiveness, so I discount a lot of them. But she thinks ahead and sometimes is not totally into the moment, and she either over-rates her own passing pace on the ball or underestimates defensive scope of action in response. She can throw hard and accurately but the pace sometimes isn't there.

Great as she is, she's got room for improvement, which is a good thing, looking forward.
No doubt Nika has matured tremendously.
It’s reflected in her play and leadership.
But she’s still Nika and is subject to random instances of just “copping an urge”
Geno says it best:
“ Nika will be doing everything right an then, suddenly just go and smack some kid for no reason”

Reaction Score
Azzi won't play against South Carolina, but I agree it'll be a tough night if we're playing them 5 on 4.
I don't think anyone knows yet if Azzi will play in the South Carolina game. The nature of her injury makes a return date unpredictable in either direction. Her two week check point is a week before the South Carolina game so there is a world where she is cleared and ramping up an potentially available for a few minutes.

I don't THINK she'll play either but neither would I be surprised if she was available.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone knows yet if Azzi will play in the South Carolina game. The nature of her injury makes a return date unpredictable in either direction. Her two week check point is a week before the South Carolina game so there is a world where she is cleared and ramping up an potentially available for a few minutes.

I don't THINK she'll play either but neither would I be surprised if she was available.
She's on crutches for at least the next week. South Carolina is in 12 days. UConn is not known to bring people back quickly.

JBK

Reaction Score
The team would be completely different if she had a drive move with a stop and pull up jump shot from 15 feet and in. That kind of move would prevent any defender on her from sloughing off of her. There were several times last night on breaks or transition where she was able to partially penetrate and pull up but she did not. She is physically strong enough to shoot that shot and it will change her as a player overnight. It's a hard shot though, it takes thousands to get it into muscle memory, but she will be the best PG in the country if she gets that and works on her 3 release. Everything else is there. She seems frustrated offensively but that's because she does not have that shot so she is limited to drives to an open basket, layups off of steals, and 3 point shots.
Agree completely. She has a year and half to get there.

Reaction Score
Just remember that, while we are all hoping to see Azzi and Caroline return soon, it will take time to get them integrated into the offense that has now gelled with the 5 we have. The final product has the potential to be so much better but that will take time as the current product is a well oiled machine.

JBK

Reaction Score
I think no one questions Nika value to this team and all agree with her outstanding skills and ability to defend, assist, rebound and run this team. With that said, all of the “ score crowd” just wants her to be able to keep the defense honest . If SC shuts down Lou or one of the big 4 - we will be in trouble.
Also, if Nika has a goal of the WNBA, she would be so much more marketable if she could consistently hit the pull up - the 3 or drive occasionally.
I am not sure why it is one or the other -
I think she is not far off.
Just not shooting well lately !!! I hate the fact that Geno has to dance when she hits a shot.
When your up by 40, she should take a few game shots.

Reaction Score
On a different note I loved the sequence where the camera followed AE and Morrow coming down the court with Morrow throwing her body into AE all the way down. AE was totally unfazed by it and delivered her own bumps along the way. I bet Morrow is not used to that happening as many players try to avoid the banging. As I recall during her first year AE was surprised by and avoided even the body bumps by her teammates after a good play. Now she leads with those bumps!

Reaction Score
Now the only thing that you will have to worry about is the weather. When we had DirecTV even high winds would cause us to lose their service. :)
But it was better than nothing, which is what we had for many years due to our location.

I had DirecTV once long before AT&T bought it. The service was incredibly reliable then, even in bad weather. We'll see how it goes.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
10 assists, 4 in first 11 minutes, one of those on a terrible call on a pick. Then only 2 when they put the game away. Guarded their point, who averages 18, scored 4 with Nika on her, also she had 6 turnovers.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
They guard her even running half court, because she is still running the offense. Aubrey during the same half court they don't guard.

Reaction Score
Just remember that, while we are all hoping to see Azzi and Caroline return soon, it will take time to get them integrated into the offense that has now gelled with the 5 we have. The final product has the potential to be so much better but that will take time as the current product is a well oiled machine.
Well, Patterson stepped off the gurney and pulled down 6 rebounds so a quick turnaround is possible and done by some players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom