DePaul post game thread. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

DePaul post game thread.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was looking for the DH post-game presser, didn't find it, but did find Matt Brady's.

This was maybe the most honest and brutal assessment of a team I can recall. Starts around 2:31. I wish someone asked him about Abass, who was maybe the only guy who looked decent. But I came away with the thought that maybe Brady should be the guy going forward (had success as HC at Wagner and JMU). Alternatively, might be the type of coach who's so critical his players tune him out. Don't really know.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes indeed. The announcers pointed out more than once that Hurley said (pre game) he wants to have an 8-9 man rotation for the end of the season.
Hurley's been saying that for months.

Reaction Score
He was honest and teams need that. This team checked out long before Stubblefield got his exit package.

For Brady, he's a veteran who will be somewhere else next season. Unfortunately this may be his one chance as a HC and this season won't do anything for his resume.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Survive and advance….or something.

Reaction Score
Let’s just enjoy the win man. I don’t have much time to be a red pill today.

I’m very happy the young guys got some much needed extended minutes and usage for this blowout.
Sorry, wasn't intending to be coming at you wit this post. Going back and re-reading, can see how it could be interpreted that way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought the play-by-play guy was a bit odd with his pronouncements that UConn always keeps the starters in. They didn't in that Xavier blowout. The starters were out the last 10 minutes. I think Hurley tried to do the same last night but the bench got sloppy in consectuitive trips so he put the starters back in. Too bad DePaul hat guy had a problem with it.

Reaction Score
We actually dropped in Kenpom defense after that. What didn’t we do to avoid a drop there?
Nothing you can do. The geeks gonna geek. And imagine if DePaul wasn’t in the NEWBIE. They’d be ranked like 500. Playing UConn and Marquette improves their SOS.

Reaction Score
Nothing you can do. The geeks gonna geek. And imagine if DePaul wasn’t in the NEWBIE. They’d be ranked like 500. Playing UConn and Marquette improves their SOS.
People are going to emphasize the numbers when Purdue is named the number 1 overall seed (in the preview on Saturday), but the biggest determiner is going to be Purdue is in the B1G and the NCAA caters to them.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Watched some highlights on YouTube. That was an effortless windmill too. Jogged right into it and 0 reaction after. This guy is colddddd
It was the slowest, most casual, and almost lazy (not in a bad way) windmill I've seen. He's a total iceman, you rarely see too much reaction either way until the game is over but he had a huge smile when time ran out! I think he's going to be everything he's been hyped to be in the NBA.

Reaction Score
People are going to emphasize the numbers when Purdue is named the number 1 overall seed (in the preview on Saturday), but the biggest determiner is going to be Purdue is in the B1G and the NCAA caters to them.
I sort of agree with part of this. But the Big is just deeper, too, though. It is partly a function of having more teams. There are no outright awful teams. The NEWBIE has UConn and Marquette. Then a fairly big fall off. And the bottom of the league is simply dreadful. And we have to play 4 games against them. That’s basically like playing Mississippi Valley, Stonehill, UNH and Arkansas Pine Bluffs again. Look at it this way -20% of our conference budget is mid-major quality. There are a few Big 10 teams that aren’t that good. But none are as bad as Georgetown and DePaul. So when you do the geek thing, Purdue might come out a bit higher. Having said all that, there is a tendency to give Big 10 teams the benefit of the doubt in a way that doesn’t apply to other leagues. Purdue will likely benefit from that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It was the slowest, most casual, and almost lazy (not in a bad way) windmill I've seen. He's a total iceman, you rarely see too much reaction either way until the game is over but he had a huge smile when time ran out! I think he's going to be everything he's been hyped to be in the NBA.
Castle is a super efficient and effortless athlete. His movement is Jeremy Lamb kind of effortless.

Reaction Score
Castle is a super efficient and effortless athlete. His movement is Jeremy Lamb kind of effortless.
His defense is so tremendously good. He moves laterally as quickly as anyone I can remember, and he plays his man tight because he can recover even if they get past him initially. And if someone scores over him, he never gets petulant or surly- he just gets ready for the next play.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hurley's been saying that for months.
Really? I don't recall seeing that and there were quite a few folks who took issue with this and thought he was going back to the old 7-man rotation despite having used a deep bench down the stretch last year. This (deeper rotation) is based on the performance of Ball and Stewart of course. These two guys are the future for us next year so it helps in that respect as well. I think if you look back at the minutes these two were getting not long ago their (announcers) comments might make more sense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really? I don't recall seeing that and there was quite a few folks who took issue with this and thought he was going back to the old 7 man rotation despite having used a deep bench down the stretch last year. This (deeper rotation) is based on the performance of Ball and Stewart of course. These two guys are the future for us next year so it helps in that respect as well.
Yeah he's been saying it all season that he wants to find minutes for Ball and Stewart. When they play like they did last night that's an easy thing to do

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I thought the play-by-play guy was a bit odd with his pronouncements that UConn always keeps the starters in. They didn't in that Xavier blowout. The starters were out the last 10 minutes. I think Hurley tried to do the same last night but the bench got sloppy in consectuitive trips so he put the starters back in. Too bad DePaul hat guy had a problem with it.

He was lost in space.

He’s a baseball announcer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Really? I don't recall seeing that and there was quite a few folks who took issue with this and thought he was going back to the old 7 man rotation despite having used a deep bench down the stretch last year. This (deeper rotation) is based on the performance of Ball and Stewart of course. These two guys are the future for us next year so it helps in that respect as well.
I recall his saying that during the OOC schedule. I trust Hurley's judgement when it comes to developing players. He will not give PT before it's time. He took a bit of stick for not playing JStew more in Seattle. But look now, he's ready to go when called. That third 3 was just great. It was if he was thinking "Really?" and the bench was going "Really!"

Reaction Score

At that point, our starters are staying in for conditioning, not the win.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I recall his saying that during the OOC schedule. I trust Hurley's judgement when it comes to developing players. He will not give PT before it's time. He took a bit of stick for not playing JStew more in Seattle. But look now, he's ready to go when called. That third 3 was just great. It was if he was thinking "Really?" and the bench was going "Really!"
Yep. IIRC, there were comments from DH at that time about wanting to get more guys involved but they had to earn it in practice, comments which shouldn't surprise anyone here.

Reaction Score
His defense is so tremendously good. He moves laterally as quickly as anyone I can remember, and he plays his man tight because he can recover even if they get past him initially. And if someone scores over him, he never gets petulant or surly- he just gets ready for the next play.
Will Castle draw Kolek on Saturday?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At that point, our starters are staying in for conditioning, not the win.
Don't agree. If the subs were doing OK, I think the starters would have stayed out. That's what happened against Xavier.

Reaction Score
Roumoglou has looked really solid on defense. Wasn't that supposed to be what was keeping him on the bench?

Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this thread from last week but I thought this was interesting.

Not a record you want to have, but DePaul is flirting with becoming the lowest-ranked KenPom team — ever — from a high-major league. The Blue Demons are 3-22 and sit at 302. The record is ... 302. Utah went 6-25 in 2011-12, its first season in the Pac-12.

Reaction Score
Sorry to bump this thread from last week but I thought this was interesting.

Not a record you want to have, but DePaul is flirting with becoming the lowest-ranked KenPom team — ever — from a high-major league. The Blue Demons are 3-22 and sit at 302. The record is ... 302. Utah went 6-25 in 2011-12, its first season in the Pac-12.

Wow. They have 1 more game on the schedule that they *might win (GTown). They're almost guaranteed to go down as the worst major conference team ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom