DePaul Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I have no insider knowledge, so when it comes to PT decisions I can only go by Hurley’s public comments on the three freshmen not named Castle/Ball.

- Re: Singare - I believe Hurley said during the STJ postgame that they almost redshirted him this year. My interpretation: they have absolutely no plans to play him real mins this year, he is a long term project. Even without Donovan, he cannot be expected to give us more than 5-6 mins against real competition and that will ONLY happen if, like during the STJ game, both Karaban and Samson are on the bench with fouls.

- Re: Stewie/Ross - We need to be deeper, but these guys have to be able to run our stuff before they see real time (paraphrased from quotes from DePaul pregame). My interpretation: minutes are there for one or both of these two, but he’s not going to throw someone out there just because we’re down a man. If you can’t run the offense or defense in practice, Dan isn’t going to give you a long leash to mess around during a game. Based on todays PT, Stewie is showing a bit more than Ross.

I have no idea if any of the above kids are frustrated about this… but if they are, the living embodiment of “commit to hurley’s system, improve every day in practice, and your day will come” is currently our starting center and in the midst of a breakout season.
Wish he could give them more run in games like this. Especially singare

Reaction Score
Wish he could give them more run in games like this. Especially singare
More run? They get more run in practice than they’d get starting on a sub top 75 team. They are not ready, do we want them to screw up and get down on themselves? Those that are not getting minutes… they know why. It’ll happen…. I am trusting the process.

Reaction Score
More run? They get more run in practice than they’d get starting on a sub top 75 team. They are not ready, do we want them to screw up and get down on themselves? Those that are not getting minutes… they know why. It’ll happen…. I am trusting the process.
Unfortunately, this is not how college basketball works today. There's always a relative or coach somewhere telling them how badly they're being screwed.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this is not how college basketball works today. There's always a relative or coach somewhere telling them how badly they're being screwed.
Without doubt, but that can’t be allowed to dictate how a team is run, and I respect any coach who lives that life. Samson is the proof, major talent, he thought he should leave, he thought better, and now he gets to display his skills to a large audience, or he coulda left for some bigger role on a much smaller stage.

Reaction Score
Good to see Karaban shooting well again. Need him to start developing a plan B for when his outside shot isn’t falling so he stays effective offensively even without it.

Better interior presence from SJ than we’ve seen from him so far this year, good sign.

How many games before Castle gets the Jackson treatment during games and his defender sags off him and clogs our lanes?

Solo’s shot is much better than most on here give him credit for and he played great D.

Diarra joining a long list of unheralded players who leave everything out there all the time and have made the program what it is.

Newton is a great player but an interesting dude in terms of switching it on and off

When this team hits 3s it’s unstoppable. If I’m a future opponent I’m extending pressure as far out as I can to try to make UConn uncomfortable running sets, off the non-shooters to clog the lane and pray hey have an off night.

Butler looks meh against St John’s but there are no road gimmes in the BE

Reaction Score
Only complaint would be we’re down big against upper tier BE teams with that start. But much to like last 25-30 minutes.

Big one on Friday with what will now be an ornery Butler team at home where they’re good.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I can see what you are saying about Stewart but he played really well for the time he was in. Defensively he was solid and he moved the ball well, making good reads. Honestly even including the early games where he scored more he looked more comfortable just playing UConn ball.

Diarra is now up to 7-22 from three on the season, or about 32%. He is making open threes this year at a really high clip.

Solo up to 29% even after his atrocious start to the season (9/23 in the last seven starting at KU game, 6/29 in first seven).

Samson had an interesting game but he did show a few shots that still remind me offensively of Oso. Defensively though he still gets pushed around some. If these games can open up Samson's offense a bit more then when DC gets back it should be really fun.
I disagree about Stewart looking comfortable. On defense he solely focuses on his guy and not where the ball is. On offense he looks confused about where he should be and where he should be moving to during the play. He can’t shoot at all but he seems to have a decent handle. He needs to improve greatly before next season.

Reaction Score
Good game outside of first 5 minutes. Karaban finally looks like his hand isn’t bothering him anymore. Team looked pretty good in small ball lineup with Karaban at center.

RE: Stewart PT … he got minutes before garbage time today, and it appears, Hurley has opted to use a smaller lineup and give Stewart some minutes in rotation while Clingan out. I thought these were his best minutes of season as he dived on floor to get loose ball, and caught a difficult pass on fast break and swung ball to Karaban for 3. Also made a basket in traffic. As far as previous comments about team not looking his way … He still looks a bit tentative out there and it will take time to build trust with teammates. If he keeps like playing like today, I think he will earn a limited spot ain’t rotation this year and will earn teammates trust.

Reaction Score
Going forward I'd like to see Johnson not fouling so much.
Especially two needless fouls like he did in a game that he was playing great. He showed me some things in this game that really raised my eyebrow. He looks very fluid offensively and if he can just relax and get his footwork right he can be scary and i mean this year. With his athleticism if he can fight for position and hold it guys will get the ball to him and he can pump and dunk or hit the short jumper. I really hope they start feeding him in the post which i was happy to see a couple times tonight. Hes still getting his feet wet but if the light goes on for him and hes able to score more in the post and starts positioning a little better to improve his rebound this team just goes to an insane level. Not sure its possible to beat this team if DC stays healthy and Samson takes a big step forward which in just his second start is showing flashes.

Reaction Score
Good to see Karaban shooting well again. Need him to start developing a plan B for when his outside shot isn’t falling so he stays effective offensively even without it.

Better interior presence from SJ than we’ve seen from him so far this year, good sign.

How many games before Castle gets the Jackson treatment during games and his defender sags off him and clogs our lanes?

Solo’s shot is much better than most on here give him credit for and he played great D.

Diarra joining a long list of unheralded players who leave everything out there all the time and have made the program what it is.

Newton is a great player but an interesting dude in terms of switching it on and off

When this team hits 3s it’s unstoppable. If I’m a future opponent I’m extending pressure as far out as I can to try to make UConn uncomfortable running sets, off the non-shooters to clog the lane and pray hey have an off night.

Butler looks meh against St John’s but there are no road gimmes in the BE
Huge difference between Castle and Jackson taking it to the rim. Castle can.

Reaction Score
Not sure how we win by 29 with Newton not scoring, but I'll take it.
He wasnt looking at all for his shot. He looked bored. Not sure if thats good or bad but hes earned the benefit of the doubt. Hes turned it on when the big lights come on.

Reaction Score
Huge difference between Castle and Jackson taking it to the rim. Castle can.
When he figures out how to attack the rim hes going to be a huge problem because hes going to break down defenses and to make it worse not only will he be able to score but he has two bigs to toss it up too and 3 guys who he can kick it out to for 3s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This board can make one feel depressed about a 30 point win. ‍♂️
Disagree Office Space GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I disagree about Stewart looking comfortable. On defense he solely focuses on his guy and not where the ball is. On offense he looks confused about where he should be and where he should be moving to during the play. He can’t shoot at all but he seems to have a decent handle. He needs to improve greatly before next season.

Watched him on defense when out there and you’re spot on. He has learned where and when to switch I could see but he’s 28 feet from the basket guarding his guy and there’s no hope of him helping or sloughing off to double anyone. He’s too intent on his guy only. I’m afraid his HS coach didn’t teach man defense all that much because he looked scared to leave his guy anywhere at all.

Reaction Score
Nice stat line for Castle. Hoping to see more of that
Wish he would make a shot from further than 3 feet. He sees the court very well and takes it to the basket with no fear. Very good on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Diarra.

This was a snoozer until his energy and defense sparked this team and then he parlayed that into his best game of the season.

Freakin' love the guy.

Diarra, most underrated player by the casual fan

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
My complaint for today, just Stewart still. Even when he was out there it seemed like the older guys were not looking his way at all when he was open. Not sure why.

Also not sure why this game wasn’t used as a way to get Singare up to speed if we feel like we’re going to need him against better teams.
This gets old mate

Reaction Score
I was half watching the game, half putting together an entertainment cabinet for my kid while listing to Donnie say “they need to get downhill” about 15 times. Outcome was as expected but the highlight in my mind was the kid winning the 40 inch TV and Donnie saying “that’s gotta be worth, what $100?” lol.

On to Butler…
Great game, no complaints, other than Donny Marshall must get paid by the "word", geez.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom