DePaul Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

DePaul Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Unless DePaul figures out how to hit 9 more threes in the second half I think we will be fine. They are playing a fabulous defense and it's a great experience for our girls to have. Geno can teach a lot from this game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
That's what it looks like on TV too. Unlikely DP stays that hot from 3, but if they do....?

I think we need our guards to put the ball on the floor before traps come and draw fouls. Tough to look for back cuts against trap/double teams once they're already there. Ditto re: passing out of the double team except for Stewie but in her case the rest of our squad isn't very long so she has small targets and DePaul is fronting in anticipation of passes made under duress.

Gotta be strong with the ball and make them pay for bringing such aggressive pressure.

Reaction Score
That's what it looks like on TV too. Unlikely DP stays that hot from 3, but if they do....?
They will win if they keep making them from 25 ft, but I doubt they can keep it up much like Dayton couldn't in the E8 game. Several possessions it seemed like we were settling for the 3. Maybe DePaul is bigger than we are, I don't know because they're doing 5-for-5 substitutions, but I'd park Stewie down low and just chuck it to where only she can get it. We no longer control the paint this year without any big lineup options as long as Butler is out. We're a slasher team with streaky 3-point shooters.

Reaction Score
DePaul shooting 29.8% from 3 before tonight. They will never keep it up, I hope.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Blueballer said:
Unless DePaul figures out how to hit 9 more threes in the second half I think we will be fine. They are playing a fabulous defense and it's a great experience for our girls to have. Geno can teach a lot from this game.

Bad news is that at this pace, with no let up, even our players can get winded. Gabby was winded in the first half. Mo looks good and Stewie too. Don't expect it to be a big problem but if any game will press our conditioning to the limit this is it. The style of this game is an outlier in more ways than one.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, Gabby is a non factor so far. Her athletic ability has no advantage in this type of game . An up and down game of shooting. I'm anxious to see Geno's halftime adjustments to control pace !

Reaction Score
Bad news is that at this pace, with no let up, even our players can get winded. Gabby was winded in the first half. Mo looks good and Stewie too. Don't expect it to be a big problem but if any game will press our conditioning to the limit this is it. The style of this game is an outlier in more ways than one.

Traditionally Geno hasn't liked deep and frequent substitutions in a close game. This usually works out very well for his team. But if UConn can't slow their pace in the 2nd half, this might be one of the games where he might want to make an exception.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Wow, I was not planning to watch this game because I expected it to be another one of those games that's usually over 10 minutes before halftime.. but this game is obviously not that.

UCONN likely will win this game but this will be good for them. Winning in a close one will push them.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Ohio State trailing Notre Dame 55-54 end of 3rd. Mitchell misses a free throw with 6 seconds left and ND goes down to score a basket as time expires.

Reaction Score
Nice sequence. 50-41 2+ in. DePaul gone cold even from close range.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Pace is slowing down and DePaul has come out cold.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to break their spirit right here. Don't let them even think about getting back into it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sweet ball movement. Morgan for 2. And 1!!!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Oh Gabby, such a great block, such a silly pass into the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom