Depaul Game Postponed! [merged] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Depaul Game Postponed! [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t want to be a broken record, but Maya played in 154 of 154. She missed 1 game in 16 seasons. Hard to believe!
that...includes.....Valencia (Ros Casares), China, ... Ekaterinburg....?????

Reaction Score
SO one te
Since you asked, South Carolina had 13 players and added a new 14th player in December, Chloe Kitts.
They immediately worked her into the rotation and she's averaging 13 minutes per game for 5 games.
Everyone else on the roster has played 13 -15 games except for 1 player who has played 11 games.
Scar seems to work nearly everyone into their games including the brand new freshmen player.
BTW, Scar has 6 seniors and 1 grad student among the 14 players on their roster, yet they still found PT for an additional freshman.
That's a roster that has enough extra depth to be able to avoid cancelling games due to a shortage of players.

Thank you. That's why I brought it up to stimulate conversation. You've named one team. One team. So UCONN should throwaway all that has been successful because one team one team used it to win ONE National Championship using a deep bench and this means that all of wcbb is using it too?

This why I disagree with Kara (and probably Meg too). It's why for this game - this coaching philosophy that kara and Meg said CD was using- how is it logical for Kara to speak of UCONN's huge weakness of chemistry due to turnovers in which UCONN had way too many in this game yet in the next breath the in-and out strategy that was employed by CD- how does that chemistry help in negating turnovers with so much in-and-out?

sun

Reaction Score
SO one te

Thank you. That's why I brought it up to stimulate conversation. You've named one team. One team. So UCONN should throwaway all that has been successful because one team one team used it to win ONE National Championship using a deep bench and this means that all of wcbb is using it too?

This why I disagree with Kara (and probably Meg too). It's why for this game - this coaching philosophy that kara and Meg said CD was using- how is it logical for Kara to speak of UCONN's huge weakness of chemistry due to turnovers in which UCONN had way too many in this game yet in the next breath the in-and out strategy that was employed by CD- how does that chemistry help in negating turnovers with so much in-and-out?
I'm not so sure that subbing in & out is the primary reason for turnovers.
Geno has said over & over that the team needs to play smarter.
Playing smarter can reduce turnovers no matter what the substitution pattern is.

IDK why some of the UConn players try to make such risky plays against teams that end up being a blow out victory.
The risky moves aren't just turnovers, but plays that also end up with bodies on the floor or crashing into other players.
I think that's what Geno is talking about when he says that they need to play smarter.
Maybe playing too fast or fatigued leads to brain fog and decision making being more cloudy.
Maybe their muscles operate fine but their decision making process is affected?
So maybe more subbing can lead to smarter decisions, at least after they have all of their training lessons memorized.
Or perhaps they need more experience and the lessons learned by losing once in a while or by having more close games.

Recalling back to UConn's 1st NC season, we used 2 PG's, Pam Weber started and then Jen Rizzotti took over PG in the 2nd half.
All I know is that the result was an undefeated season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are other ideas beyond Genoa’s. Look for yourself at how many are on other top team rosters. Who’s knocking Geno? Not me? We can exist with other ideas!
Yes there are other ideas beyond Geno’s. But if we look historically whose track record is the best?– Ever in WCBB? So it’s is possible the other ideas could be right but also possibly they could be wrong. So I asked- where did you get the data?

You asked me to look at the top teams- I look at the FF teams. The poster Sun referred to recent history with SC but looking at 20-21 season they had 3 players play over 30 minutes during their reg season. Stanford in 2020-21 had one, the pg average 32.6 minutes but the last three games of NCAA she averaged near 40 I believe. And another Stanford player (hull I think) in last 3 games of NCAA’s averaged around 35 minutes the last 3 games I believe. And last year they had 2 players average over 30 minutes. When Arizona beat UCONN they had 2 players during the reg season average over 30 minutes. L’ville Van Lith over 30. I wasn’t arguing. I just went back to post-Covid. Maybe you are right prior years title teams used much less bench. I know Notre Dame did one year. A rotation of 6. It’s why I asked but made it a point that a comparison is needed of title teams.

These are the type of teams UCONN should be compared to. But in a similar fashion, we say players that get minutes will also help them in their growth the following year. Can’t the same thing be said of players like Liv and Edwards getting as many minutes as they had in prior years made them more successful as time went on allowing UCONN to continue getting to Final Fours and last year the title game?

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure that subbing in & out is the primary reason for turnovers.
Geno has said over & over that the team needs to play smarter.
Playing smarter can reduce turnovers no matter what the substitution pattern is.

IDK why some of the UConn players try to make such risky plays against teams that end up being a blow out victory.
The risky moves aren't just turnovers, but plays that also end up with bodies on the floor or crashing into other players.
I think that's what Geno is talking about when he says that they need to play smarter.
Maybe playing too fast or fatigued leads to brain fog and decision making being cloudy.
Maybe their muscles operate fine but their decision making process is affected?
So maybe more subbing can lead to smarter decisions, at least after they have all of their training lessons memorized.

Recalling back to UConn's 1st NC season, we used 2 PG's, Pam Weber started and then Jen Rizzotti took over PG in the 2nd half.
All I know is that the result was an undefeated season.
Well I think subbing in and out is a huge factor. That’s a huge reason why I support as Gneo has been doing. Please explain how giving bench players more time allows them to get in a certain rhythm better prepared for future success while the same doesn't apply to core players being subbed in and out - i.e. playing them less minutes? If more minutes are good for the bench then why isn’t; it good for the core? Why wasn’t the minutes over the year given to Liv and the minutes given to Edwards not the reason why UCONN got to a Finals game last year as an example? That's why I believe in part it's not good idea to do in-and-out. IMO that's why Geno plays a smaller core of player’s more.

As far as your bold I don’t agree with it. Otherwise they wouldn't have won as many tiles as they have and been as many final fours as they have.

And if we're going to quote Geno then let's also refer to his method of success that he has done playing a core number of players.

And if we are going to quote back in 27 years ago or so and that team is as perfect as you point as that team was, blowing out teams by an absurd amount, I'm sure more minutes over the course of the season would be granted and not just for a game will be provided to the bench. If we’re that perfect team winning by an average of 35ppg or whatever absurd amount – I’ll be on the side of playing the bench more. Let’ me know when that season is here. I’ll jump aboard gladly.

Anyway I got to go. And I fear this thread has run its course we are just briefly talking substitution patterns from CD. I don’t think they are going to let us go more. If you or anyone wants to create a thread on bench vs core I would certainly contribute. I want to go out and not just post on here. Haha Anyway let’s go Huskies!!!!!

Reaction Score
South Carolina at Stanford this year.

SCar played 12 players. Stanford played 11. Overtime game with no “mop up” time for either side. Every minute was contested PT. So freshmen like Betts and Watkins only got like 4 minutes but those were important minutes.

But that doesn’t mean Geno’s strategy is unsound. It’s really just an exceptionally bad run of luck for the most successful coach of all time.
Last point. In the OVT Stanford used 6 players 20, 24, 32, 41 and 2 44's. The other players 7 minutes or less. I hardy would say that Tara was :using her bench." Yet two years ago she was applauded for using her bench. Kinf of odd isn';rt it? Super coahces using a primary core? Can they all be wrong?

Maybe it has to do also a lot with personnel and not just coaching, right?

Reaction Score
I think the point is Geno tends to keep his top 5 or 6 players in longer in games than most other coaches. Against Creighton Stanford put in non-starters when the lead got up to ~18 to get them game experience. The bench played 40 minutes. Against South Carolina, Stanford's bench played 53 minutes and South Carolina's played 92 minutes.

In the last 5 years players that want to play are more likely to transfer than be willing to barely get playing time their first two years. Transfers the past two years have hurt UConn's bench depth. If Geno played his bench some more, would those players have stuck around?

Geno's philosophy worked well for many years, but the level of talent has gotten deeper over the last 10 years. South Carolina has won two championships since UConn's last one. I'd like to think Oregon would have won the 2020 Final Four, but it was likely a coin flip between them and South Carolina. South Carolina is likely a bad bounce and a pandemic away from 4 championships in the last six years.

What Geno has done at UConn may be more impressive than what Wooden did at UCLA. It's hard to maintain that level of excellence. Tara won two championships in 3 years, then took 29 years and 10 more trips to the Final Four to get her 3rd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SO one te

For me, the turnovers are coming not because of chemistry or rotating players. They are coming in my opinion because they don't have enough healthy ball handlers. Ines is a freshman so she doesn't count but after that it is just Nika. I love them but Caroline, Aubrey, and Lou are big guards but not ball handling guards. Nika, Azzi, and Paige are experienced ball handling guards. In my opinion, the turnovers wil probably continue until you get a game where at least 2 or those three are healthy and playing. Otherwise it's just too much ball handling for the non ball handlers and too much over compensation by the remaining ball handlers for me.

Reaction Score
I think the point is Geno tends to keep his top 5 or 6 players in longer in games than most other coaches. Against Creighton Stanford put in non-starters when the lead got up to ~18 to get them game experience. The bench played 40 minutes. Against South Carolina, Stanford's bench played 53 minutes and South Carolina's played 92 minutes.

In the last 5 years players that want to play are more likely to transfer than be willing to barely get playing time their first two years. Transfers the past two years have hurt UConn's bench depth. If Geno played his bench some more, would those players have stuck around?

Geno's philosophy worked well for many years, but the level of talent has gotten deeper over the last 10 years. South Carolina has won two championships since UConn's last one. I'd like to think Oregon would have won the 2020 Final Four, but it was likely a coin flip between them and South Carolina. South Carolina is likely a bad bounce and a pandemic away from 4 championships in the last six years.

What Geno has done at UConn may be more impressive than what Wooden did at UCLA. It's hard to maintain that level of excellence. Tara won two championships in 3 years, then took 29 years and 10 more trips to the Final Four to get her 3rd.
I think he is getting the trend and adapting. The injuries this year have been off the charts. If you had a fully healthy team, UConn would have even more talent depth than Stanford and SCar this year especially at guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom