Delany: Space to grow in NY market | The Boneyard

Delany: Space to grow in NY market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry if this has been posted and also for embedding the entire article. Did not see this online, I pulled this off the newswire.
This is right in HFD's wheelhouse.

@Bodytype:
Newsday (MCT)
@Bodytype:
NEW YORK - The sports television market in New York includes nine major professional franchises, but Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany says there's "space to grow" for his conference in an area that has been indifferent to college sports for decades.
@Bodytype:
In fact, demographics were at the heart of the Big Ten's decision to expand into the Northeast market with the recent addition of Rutgers from the Big East and Maryland from the ACC. Speaking Thursday at the IMG Intercollegiate Athletics Forum presented by Sports Business Journal at a midtown Manhattan hotel, Delany said the risk of standing pat with 12 members was greater than the risk of expanding to 14 in the shifting environment of conference expansion.
"Demographics matter," Delany said. "I think it matters to be in New Jersey and Maryland and around D.C., Philadelphia and New York. It matters to us for it to be contiguous. It matters for it to be flagship universities."
Maryland and Rutgers fit the Big Ten academic profile, and their location was key. Delany described Penn State's proximity as a "bridge" to those markets. Now, members of Congress in Washington, D.C., and Madison Avenue's advertising and marketing executives can have the "Big Ten experience" in their backyards.
Speaking of the New York market in particular, Delany said, "I'm humble about how well we can do and how quickly we can do well. If we can have an impact and be relevant, that would be a pretty good goal. In this environment, there is not too much (that is) dominant. Maybe the Giants on a good day or maybe the Knicks or the Yankees. Everybody competes for a small part of a very important demographic."
Not counting Rutgers and Maryland, Delany said there are 600,000 Big Ten alums living in the New York and Washington, D.C., areas. The Big Ten also views that as a rich recruiting ground for out-of-state students. Not athletes, but the ones who pay tuition.
"We think this is the right long-range approach for the Big Ten with the full awareness this is not a layup," he said. "The conference clearly is rooted now in two regions of the country with all the challenges and upside that entails."
Delany noted the Big Ten competes with pro sports teams in major cities throughout the Midwest. What will happen when Big Ten powers become regular visitors to the New York area to play Rutgers in football? "I think you can be a college football fan and a professional football fan," Delany said. "Over time, I think Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State and Wisconsin and Rutgers and Maryland and the conference can grow together.
"I don't think the idea of anybody dominating other than the pros is probably accurate. But I do think there's space here to grow."
---
©2012 Newsday
Visit Newsday at www.newsday.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I like the timing and the location of that IMG event that Delany attended and spoke from.

Warde Manuel fumbled in the Virgin Island but I would bet he was selling the duck out of us in New Amsterdam this week.

Reaction Score
This reaffirms what we have been saying. Delany isn't stupid enough to think he could command the ny market. He just wants his fair share. The benefit to adding UConn is clear-it gives the big 10 a lock on md, nj, ct, pa with a firm grip on nyc. minimal competition from frozen outlier syracuse, athletic midget bc, and penn state's toy dog, pitt.

Also, the article is written from the perspective of the northeast, not the mid-atlantic. i can't imagine that delaney ignores new england in that calculus.

finally, did you see him mention " flagship universities, not AAU ( of which uconn will be one in 5-10 years inexorably anyways).

flagships mean no pitt, bc nor syracuse.

uva was not on the list of acc schools who were the impetus behind the acc solidarity letter, even though it was pushed by the supposed rumor-effected schools, as if uva wasn't one of the most prominently and consistently mentioned schools to be named.

Reaction Score
Mr.Delany ,just keep heading I-84 East,exit 68 and follow the signs to Univ. of Connecticut.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I like the timing and the location of that IMG event that Delany attended and spoke from.

Warde Manuel fumbled in the Virgin Island but I would bet he was selling the duck out of us in New Amsterdam this week.

And how much exactly would you be willing to bet? Be honest.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well if you take him literally start rooting for Syracuse to the Big 10.

Reaction Score
I feel B1G wants to basically own two parts of the country - the MidWest and the MidAtlantic. They'll definitely come back to try to solidify the MidAtlantic. UVA, UNC, UConn will be in the mix.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Looking at this in a vacuum:

Virginia and North Carolina would be the obvious choices. They are both flagship landgrant universities and are two of the most prestigious institutions in America. Virginia and North Carolina are new states that the B1G network could tap into as well as new recruiting territories for the B1G.

However, you have to look at the New York City angle:

Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State all have significant national followings, especially in New York. The B1G's first move to capture the NYC market with Rutgers was smart. With the national brands, plus a local team you've covered a significant portion of the market. However, it's still not all yours. Enter UConn and Syracuse, or what would be considered the other two local teams.

UConn and Syracuse football is certainly not on the B1G's level right now, but was Rutgers or Marylands? If you really want to take hold of the Northeast and charge exorbitant subscriber fees, I think you have to go 'all in'.

If B1G can lock in the locals, Rutgers, Syracuse and UConn to give them a local foothold in the market and then when the big names come in, I truly think you would get the Northeast's attention.

Now, I'm also realistic. Does UConn move the meter for the B1G by itself? No, you can't compare UConn Football with Michigan, Ohio State, etc. However, using UConn as a piece to the puzzle? I don't know, it makes some sense to me. I think this is a prime example of the sum is greater than the parts.

I really don't know what the hell is going to happen - nobody does - but while not getting my hopes up, this does make sense of some levels. If Delany is dead set on NYC - two of the biggest local 'franchises' so to speak in UConn and Syracuse are ripe for the picking.

I would even say for UConn to get in, we take 'junior membership' for a number of years, agree to play some conference games at Giants Stadium, Foxboro or MSG, Prudential Center, etc. I really don't think you can underestimate the impact being associated with the Big10 athletically and the CIC academically would have on UConn.

I guess this is all just a crazy pipe dream, but I think even the harshest of critics would agree that at least on paper it seems plausible.

Sorry for Carl-esque post. OK, back to game planning for Tulane.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

You'd hope so but he hasn't exactly been shooting lights out so far..........

Reaction Score
This reaffirms what we have been saying. Delany isn't stupid enough to think he could command the ny market. He just wants his fair share. The benefit to adding UConn is clear-it gives the big 10 a lock on md, nj, ct, pa with a firm grip on nyc. minimal competition from frozen outlier syracuse, athletic midget bc, and penn state's toy dog, pitt.

Also, the article is written from the perspective of the northeast, not the mid-atlantic. i can't imagine that delaney ignores new england in that calculus.

finally, did you see him mention " flagship universities, not AAU ( of which uconn will be one in 5-10 years inexorably anyways).

flagships mean no pitt, bc nor syracuse.

uva was not on the list of acc schools who were the impetus behind the acc solidarity letter, even though it was pushed by the supposed rumor-effected schools, as if uva wasn't one of the most prominently and consistently mentioned schools to be named.

Ya. I definitely found it interesting that uva wasn't one of the schools that initiated the solidarity announcement given all the talk that's been about them.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
And how much exactly would you be willing to bet? Be honest.

Do you think he was doing anything else this week?
Golden (not Eagle) opportunity for him.

No wagered bets here.
Just friendly.
All my chips are on the table for UConn success.

Reaction Score
ConnHusk, i agree with a lot of what you said, however us playing at Giant Stadium (other than playing RU) would be like Penn St having a home game at Cleveland Browns Stadium or Ohio St hosting a game at Ford Field in Detroit.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ConnHusk, i agree with a lot of what you said, however us playing at Giant Stadium (other than playing RU) would be like Penn St having a home game at Cleveland Browns Stadium or Ohio St hosting a game at Ford Field in Detroit.

Except it would be nothing like that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When we become Michigan or Ohio St in football we can gripe like this. Today, if what he suggested helps get us in the B1G we not only jump at it, we look into how playing stray games at Foxboro & the Meadowlands can help improve our visibility in the two huge media markets the NFL teams that play in those two stadiums represent.

Reaction Score
If we were in the B1g, they would never have us play a home game 20-30 minutes from from RU's campus. Would they have RU/Illinois play in Baltimore? i agree with Foxboro, but never at Giant Stadium.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What are you talking about

Ohio State playing in Michigan and Penn State playing in Ohio are nothing like UConn playing at the Meadowlands or Foxboro.

First of all Ohio State and Penn State play in huge stadiums and get no benefit from an increased capacity.

Secondly, if Ohio State or Penn State wanted to play in NFL stadiums for a neutral site game both states offer two options within their borders

Thirdly, UConn is much closer to the Meadowlands and Foxboro than PSU and OSU are to Cleveland or Detroit.

Finally Detroit and Cleveland are clearly owned by their home schools - NYC and Boston are not.

Your ridiculous comparison makes no sense as all. Note Syracuse played USC at the Meadowlands this year. Given the opportunity should UConn pass on a game against USC because it would have to be played in New Jersey? You know the UConn who after a decade in East Hartford hasn't played a bigger program at home than North Carolina?

Reaction Score
In our current situation we play them anywhere, if were are in the B1g then they would not have us play a home game in the state where there is another B1G school. Yankee Stadium or even Citi Field would be ok as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In our current situation we play them anywhere, if were are in the B1g then they would not have us play a home game in the state where there is another B1G school. Yankee Stadium or even Citi Field would be ok as well.

Oh if we were in the Big 10 we could schedule better? Duly noted.

Reaction Score
Oh if we were in the Big 10 we could schedule better? Duly noted.
Read Corn Husk's post again. The paragraph were he says' "take junior membership and play some games at Giant Stadium" etc. Now do you think the B1G would have us play home games in Giant Stadium, which is 20-30 minutes away from Rutgers another conference mate?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Read Corn Husk's post again. The paragraph were he says' "take junior membership and play some games at Giant Stadium" etc. Now do you think the B1G would have us play home games in Giant Stadium, which is 20-30 minutes away from Rutgers another conference mate?

Corn Husk. Funny.

Yes, I think that Rutgers will be playing Michigan and Ohio State at the Meadowlands and if Delany said UConn needs to play Michigan and Ohio State at the Meadowlands - not a problem sir.

Reaction Score
for the record if its solely an issue of stadium capacity, there already is a 60000 seat stadium in Connecticut. And I actually think schools like Michigan and Ohio State would enjoy the press of playing at Yale if they'd have us.

Reaction Score
who the hell cares if its a dump, I mean its not like the place is condemned. guarantee we would draw a better crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom