Delany: AAU Membership Required For Admission | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Delany: AAU Membership Required For Admission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only an ACC fan could come on a former Big East school's board and whine that we're mean to his conference.

Un--believable.

Apologies, I was merely intending to add some levity and "seasoning" to my argument that "expansion leads to dilution, dilution leads to weakness, weakness leads to failure."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's too late.

I'm already on my way to burn down South Carolina.

Ironically, the ACC's weakness led to expansion. And then weakness led to expansion again. And then again - sorta. And then a fourth time.

At what point does the dilution start to lead to weakness if the core that was diluted apparently wasn't strong enough to survive in the first place?

Reaction Score
No one ever heard or cared about UConn where I worked until the 1999 national championship. UConn became a name after that night and it was after that that my work became recognized. Then more UConn alumni were hired and we were able to then promote UConn even more. National sports recognition matters, unless you are a graduate of an Ivy league school and only an Ivy league school. None of the rest matter.

That's funny, sad and totally believable.

Reaction Score
I have thought and have been saying this since the ACC signed the Grant of Rights. I think that things on the CR front will cool down now for close to a decade, unless the Big 12 makes a big mistake and adds two schools for a championship game, thus watering down the existing schools' annual TV payments.

4x16 is a blogger and message board pipe dream. There are too many parochial interests (Texas, North Carolina, FSU, ND) among the major players in CR for that to happen.
So if CR is over. You must be a troll.
What possible reason could you have other than evil-doing ,could you possibly have to frequent a UConn, CR board.
Good-bye

Reaction Score
Has anyone EVER heard the word "POD" come out of Delany's or Slive's mouths? Yet every basement blogger starts talking about pods as if it is fait accompli and the panacea to all scheduling concerns for 16-team conferences. The scheduling concerns are real; the "pod" panacea is fiction.

Personally, I liked the old 10 team conferences. 12 was already pushing it, but 14 makes it near impossible to schedule other conference schools in the current setups. And you sound like someone who dislikes the word "pod," so I'll call it a division. If the ACC added 2 more schools (say WVU and UConn and completely forget ND), that would create the much dreaded 4 division conference with 4 teams per division. But if the ACC could concede with a 9 game conference schedule, those divisions would allow teams to play one another much more often.

Let's say Div 1=UConn, SU, BC and UL. Div 2=VT, UVa, WVU and Pitt. Div 3=UNC, Duke, Wake and NCSU. Div 4=GT, Clemson, Miami and FSU. Clemson would play GT, Miami and FSU every year. Clemson would also get to play 2 teams per each division every year. This arrangement would allow for Clemson (and every other ACC school) to play other schools every 3rd and 4th year OR every 2nd and 4th year with a gap in between. That means Clemson would only miss seeing a fellow ACC foe no more than a 2 year stretch. Heck, even at an 8 game conference schedule, teams would see one another more often.

And this would also work for the B1G and SEC. But 2 divisions within a 14 team conferences is very cumbersome. I think Slive, Delany and Swofford have gone past the point of no return.

Reaction Score
So if CR is over. You must be a troll.
What possible reason could you have other than evil-doing ,could you possibly have to frequent a UConn, CR board.
Good-bye

Because I might have been incorrect?

Because there might be some real news that I was?

Reaction Score
I have thought and have been saying this since the ACC signed the Grant of Rights. I think that things on the CR front will cool down now for close to a decade, unless the Big 12 makes a big mistake and adds two schools for a championship game, thus watering down the existing schools' annual TV payments.

4x16 is a blogger and message board pipe dream. There are too many parochial interests (Texas, North Carolina, FSU, ND) among the major players in CR for that to happen.
Expansion, contraction, implosion......................there is absolutely no way CR remains static for a decade. Speaking of pipe dreams, CR being over followed by the ACC being stable seems to be the most popular among trolls who relish UConn's exclusion.

Reaction Score
Apologies, I was merely intending to add some levity and "seasoning" to my argument that "expansion leads to dilution, dilution leads to weakness, weakness leads to failure."

I didn't realize that Yoda was posting on The BY. Cool **it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Personally, I liked the old 10 team conferences. 12 was already pushing it, but 14 makes it near impossible to schedule other conference schools in the current setups. And you sound like someone who dislikes the word "pod," so I'll call it a division. If the ACC added 2 more schools (say WVU and UConn and completely forget ND), that would create the much dreaded 4 division conference with 4 teams per division. But if the ACC could concede with a 9 game conference schedule, those divisions would allow teams to play one another much more often.

Let's say Div 1=UConn, SU, BC and UL. Div 2=VT, UVa, WVU and Pitt. Div 3=UNC, Duke, Wake and NCSU. Div 4=GT, Clemson, Miami and FSU. Clemson would play GT, Miami and FSU every year. Clemson would also get to play 2 teams per each division every year. This arrangement would allow for Clemson (and every other ACC school) to play other schools every 3rd and 4th year OR every 2nd and 4th year with a gap in between. That means Clemson would only miss seeing a fellow ACC foe no more than a 2 year stretch. Heck, even at an 8 game conference schedule, teams would see one another more often.

And this would also work for the B1G and SEC. But 2 divisions within a 14 team conferences is very cumbersome. I think Slive, Delany and Swofford have gone past the point of no return.

Good post +1

The genie is out of the bottle. No conference is going to voluntarily contract, and no school would be dumb enough to walk away from hundreds of millions of dollars in TV Revenue. 14 is an untenable number for major conferences. It creates unbalanced divisions, and causes teams from opposite divisions to meet less frequently. That is where the idea for 16 or 20 member conferences comes from. Sure it failed in the WAC, but no one cared about it on a national level. What if the P5 pushes through an initiative to allow a semi final round within conferences? What would TV pay for that?

Reaction Score
The WAC was also ahead of its time. The rest of the NCAA, including its own member institutions weren't ready for it yet. Twelve was the magic number ten or so years ago, because it meant a CCG for football. The whole NCAA has been trending towards 16. This includes Division II as well. The minimum membership has gone up from six to ten, but no one wants to stay at just ten, in case a member or two leaves. Conferences also want to be able to sponsor as many sports as possible without having to rely on affiliate members. I get that 14 doesn't work well for football, but it isn't to bad for other sports.

Sixteen can make football scheduling a little better, but p o d s can also make things unwieldy. To make it better you can join two p o d s together to form temporary 8 team divisions and rotate which to pair up. With a 9 game schedule, you can play each time every two years. So 16 seems to be an optimal number.

But trends can change back. I could see after a few years schools getting tired of it with schools splitting off to form new smaller conferences again.

pj

Reaction Score
12 was just a way-station. 10 team conferences were great, you could play a round robin. 12 already diluted the product; old rivalries dissipated as teams saw each other less. Once they went to 12, they might as well go to 16. As Calamitous says, 16 is really easy to schedule. And the 4 pod structure works great if you have a semifinal and final conference championship. This would restore conference rivalries - if you didn't see a good team in the regular season, you could see it in the postseason.

Reaction Score
To make it better you can join two p o d s together to form temporary 8 team divisions and rotate which to pair up.
This is precisely the issue with pods that nauseates me

But trends can change back. I could see after a few years schools getting tired of it with schools splitting off to form new smaller conferences again.
Bingo! I strongly believe this would happen if 16+ school conferences come into reality. At the risk of projecting, I think Slive and Delany and company are cautious about this.

I will also add to this whole discussion that eliminating the "champions of two divisions (wherein each division plays round robin) play for conference championship" rule, would really help the scheduling concerns... much more than this tripe (not directed at you, Pat25) about 4 pods wherein you reconstitute the two "divisions" ever year by rotating the four pods.

If/when conferences can merely select "top two" to play for conference championship, then they can eliminate divisions and pods entirely. Recall that, even in the good ol' days of the SEC-10, B1G-10, and Pac-10, those conferences did NOT play full round robin schedules; while the ACC-9 and Big8-8 (and Big East, too, yes?) did play full round robins. I do think full round robins are the best, but the three most "established" conferences lived for years only playing 6 or 7 of the 9 conference opponents. Without divisions (or even pods), one could (theoretically) have a 16-team conference with each team playing a 9-game schedule where each school has 2 or 3 annual rivalry games (but those rivalries need not be boxed into 4-team pods [because sometimes A&B are big rivals and B&C are big rivals, but A&C mean little to one another]) and then have 6 or 7 games to cycle through the remaining 12 or 13 conference members every two years)

I personally thought 12-team conferences with two 6-team divisions where divisions play full round-robin and teams play 3 or 4 teams from other division was the "sweet spot" to maintaining/building intradivisional rivalries and keeping familiarity/unity with the other division's schools... while "expanding the footprint" and reaping greater revenues.... but Slive, Delany, and Swofford see otherwise.

Reaction Score
The problem isn't with 16 teams necessarily, it's just if you expand too quickly and you take too many teams from different cultures, you wind up having a hard time keeping people happy. There are too many people with differing ideas how to function.

For leagues like the Big Ten and SEC that have been together for so long, by carefully hand-picking teams and expanding slowly, they can assure they have like-minded institutions that want what they want. So I wouldn't really agree that there's an inherent problem with 16-team leagues, it's just that it needs to be put together very methodically.

Reaction Score
Everything is driven by dollars. We are not going back to smaller regional conferences of 8-10 teams. A number of conferences are already at 14 teams(an unwieldy number IMO), is it really a stretch to go to 16 when you are only 2 teams away?

Reaction Score

I like this and wish it would happen. WVU might be too contractually bound by the Big XII for now. So go ahead and invite UConn now to the ACC, and invite either Navy or BYU as an associate member in football only with a contract ending at the same time as the Notre Dame football contract. Then the ACC can get to 16 team scheduling, not have to go to 17 members, and can revisit WVU or ND as full time in 2027. Navy or BYU would like to have football in a P5, one would think, even if only guaranted for 12 years or so. There are postives and negatives for each, but they both have other homes for non football, and they would consider a football only situation. Flip a coin as to which one.

But I think that the ACC wants this championship game requirement relaxed so that it can do the 3 designated rivals and schedule rotation format with 14. That would reduce the interest in 16. It would also keep the Big XII happy at 10. It is supposed to be voted on in August. We will have to see what happens with this before anything is done. It's only 2 months away.

Reaction Score
Everything is driven by dollars. We are not going back to smaller regional conferences of 8-10 teams. A number of conferences are already at 14 teams(an unwieldy number IMO), is it really a stretch to go to 16 when you are only 2 teams away?

Being in the AAU is a strategic advantage for entrance into the Big Ten. If a schools has enough other advantages outside of being in the AAU, the Big Ten will weigh those. On many academic/demographic metrics, UConn is ahead of candidate AAU schools Buffalo and Kansas. I think that Delany's statements on AAU and Big Ten entrance are a largely-true, boilerplate answer in a court case. Any potential acquirer is mobile and flexible. I still think that we at least need an AAU school at 15 or 16 with UConn.

Reaction Score
This deserves its own thread. Put the question to bed, here it is straight from the source while under oath, AAU membership is required for admission to the B1G:

Andy Staples ‏@Andy_Staples 24m
Delany said Big Ten requires AAU (American Association of Universities) membership upon admission. Nebraska was, but isn't anymore.

Remember when the ACC insisted that it had high academic standards? Then it invited Louisville.

This B1G statement by Delany is no different. It's a rule until it isn't a rule.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's anything there.

The Big Ten is free to decide on whatever qualifications they'd like to enforce on potential members and whatever exceptions they might make.

The B1G knew Nebraska was on its way out of the AAU when they were added - don't think this is an impediment. In so many other respects UConn has excelled academically and moved passed many current B1G members. So the B1G would find us attractive. The more positive news is that a 14 member conference is unwieldy, so let's see if the P-5 jump to 16 - if so we'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Let's say the SEC and Big 12 merge to form a 24 team conference. They create two separate divisions of 12 each. 12 is the ideal number. They essentially operate as two 12 program conferences but they are a 24 program conference for the all-important television purposes. A simple affiliation made permanent for stability purposes. Next thing you know you have two mega-conferences with three divisions each for a grand total of 72 programs. Then there is turmoil and they all split up again. Greed will always find a way to foster change.

pj

Reaction Score
Let's say the SEC and Big 12 merge to form a 24 team conference. They create two separate divisions of 12 each. 12 is the ideal number. They essentially operate as two 12 program conferences but they are a 24 program conference for the all-important television purposes. A simple affiliation made permanent for stability purposes. Next thing you know you have two mega-conferences with three divisions each for a grand total of 72 programs. Then there is turmoil and they all split up again. Greed will always find a way to foster change.

They are close to that now - just move Texas A&M and Missouri back to the B12, and change the name of the SEC/B12 "Champions" bowl to SEC championship.

Reaction Score
*If* being an AAU member is mandatory to join the B1G, here are the only non-B1G AAU schools that currently play D1 football..........

Arizona
Buffalo
California
Colorado
Duke
Florida
Georgia Tech
Iowa State
Kansas
Missouri
North Carolina
Oregon
Pittsburgh
Rice
UCLA
USC
Texas
Texas A&M
Tulane
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Washington

AAC (1) - Tulane
ACC (5) - Duke, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia
Big 12 (3) - Iowa State, Kansas, Texas
Conference USA (1) - Rice
MAC - (1) Buffalo
PAC 12 (7) - Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Washington
SEC (4) - Florida, Missouri, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
The B1G can survive without UConn, Oklahoma and Nebraska being members of the AAU. Either Texas or North Carolina are the end goals and Texas (and Oklahoma) seems to be the more likely possibility, especially if you want to strengthen football. You'd strengthen basketball more with Kansas and UConn than UVA and UNC.

pj

Reaction Score
Great summary B1GOSU. Shows the slim pickings. Either they're poor at sports (Tulane, Rice, Buffalo) or tied up in major conferences. Most of the major conference schools are either unattractive to the B1G because of overlapping markets (Pitt, Iowa State) or distance (Arizona, Cal, Oregon, UCLA, USC, Washington) or not a public flagship (Duke, Vandy). The major conference schools attractive to the B1G - Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri; Texas, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, Florida if they got a bridge -- would take major disruption to obtain. Kansas looks like the best bet. And even they could lose AAU status, like Nebraska.

Either the B1G is stopping at 14 until the ACC or B12 releases teams, or they will have to drop the AAU requirement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer