Define a successful season | The Boneyard

Define a successful season

What would you consider a successful season from here on out? (Pick up to 3)

• National Championship or bust

Votes: 83 28.7%
  • Big East Regular Season Title

Votes: 142 49.1%
  • Big East Tourney Title

Votes: 109 37.7%
  • Elite Eight

Votes: 58 20.1%
  • Final Four

Votes: 150 51.9%
  • Sweet Sixteen

Votes: 14 4.8%
  • Solid Showing in BET (make it to Championship game)

Votes: 26 9.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
20-2, 10-1 in the BE so far and #1 in the country- it’s obviously been an incredibly successful season to this point. Before the season started, I believe we had a thread about what would make for a successful season. I think it’s a good time to revisit that now and ask, how would you define a successful season the rest of the way?

For me it would be a BE Regular Season title, a strong showing in the BET (maybe make it to Saturday night) and at least a Final Four appearance in the tourney. Another title would be great but I wouldn’t consider the season a failure if it didn’t happen. What say you?

Reaction Score
20-2, 10-1 in the BE so far and #1 in the country- it’s obviously been an incredibly successful season to this point. Before the season started, I believe we had a thread about what would make for a successful season. I think it’s a good time to revisit that now and ask, how would you define a successful season the rest of the way?

For me it would be a BE Regular Season title, a strong showing in the BET (maybe make it to Saturday night) and at least a Final Four appearance in the tourney. Another title would be great but I wouldn’t consider the season a failure if it didn’t happen. What say you?
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but this team is far too skilled and deep to not win another National Championship. Failure is the wrong word, but I fully expect this team to win another title as long as they remain healthy. They are that good.

Reaction Score
No defending champion has made the Elite 8 since Florida repeated, so I'm still going to consider that the bar for successful season. That and at this point with a 2 game conference title lead halfway through, it would be a failure to not at least share the BE regular season title.

Reaction Score
Obviously going deep into the tournament is a success. The expectation at this time is really high given the number one ranking, ability to win close games, and doing well in non conference.

Personally, I just wanna win the BET. That’s something I would love to hang a hat on.

A first round loss would gut me. We aren’t Purdue. BET and National Championship is the Mecca. Both are extremely difficult to accomplish, but hey, we’re built for it…

Reaction Score

This is Uconn, we arent about having "successful seasons" whatever that means. We are about National Titles here not moral victories.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Salt Bae Steak GIF

caw

Reaction Score
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but this team is far too skilled and deep to not win another National Championship. Failure is the wrong word, but I fully expect this team to win another title as long as they remain healthy. They are that good.

I agree but the NCAAT is a crapshoot and I do think there are a few teams that can beat UConn on a neutral floor if they play just a notch better of a game. By that I mean if UConn plays it's A game, they win but if they play a B game and say Purdue plays an A, Purdue likely wins.

Reaction Score
Can’t pick one because it all depends. Don’t have to win the BE championship as we know, but would be nice. How far this team gets if fully healthy will be interesting, they are capable. They don’t have to win it all to have a successful season but no speed bumps on the way home would be nice. Matchups always help let’s see how they finish and we can answer then.

For now 20-2? Doesn’t get much better.

Reaction Score
Big East title or a Final Four appearance and the season is a success

My thought here is we play for the March Madness Tournament primarily. Rather make noise and continue to gain national recognition and provenance through the March Madness Tournament than the BE Tournament

Reaction Score
I will keep saying what I am saying. Healthy, we are the best team in the country. Not winning your conference regular season title with the best team in the country is failing. However, once the Dance starts the best team normally does not win. We are 10-1 in Final Four games. That is an absurd stat, and while I’d love to win it all crap is some day going to happen.

Win the Big East regular season and get to the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight and it’s been a very successful season. Beyond that — just because we’ll want more with all our being doesn’t mean we haven’t already been succcessful.

Reaction Score
Context is everything. Was 2006 a success? Yes? But losing to George Mason in the Elite 8 is all most remember even though that team was one of the best I’ve ever seen.
True obviously no way to know but would be interesting if we lost to a 2/3 as opposed to GM how that team would be remembered. IMO still most talented roster UConn ever assembled

Reaction Score
This team is in a really unique position where it kind of feels like championship or bust, which is crazy to say because back to back hasn’t been done in almost 20 years

In a normal scenario, BET + S16 beyond feels like a success. Or no BET + E8 beyond. But tbh if we’re consistently getting to the second weekend then we’ll be considered one of the most consistently successful programs in the country

Reaction Score
I persist in believing that part of the "blue blood" requirement is that you dominate your conference year after year. There's no doubt that much of the basketball world regards UConn's natty count as "flukey" for the very reason that we have been conference also-rans for so long. I do think that hoisting a BE trophy is essential to calling this year a "success." If we don't, a 6th natty will almost seem to me like a consolation prize.

(Sound of derisive laughter)

Reaction Score
My thought here is we play for the March Madness Tournament primarily. Rather make noise and continue to gain national recognition and provenance through the March Madness Tournament than the BE Tournament
I agree, it's all about March for me too, so I'd trade any BE accomplishment for a title. But at the end of the day only 1 team wins it all so that being the only successful end isn't really realistic.

We haven't won the BE regular season since 2006 and postseason since 2011, so if this team does that and then loses in the Elite 8 or Final Four I think that's still a successful season with a disappointing end

Reaction Score
We are a great team, acknowledged, but to win it all sometimes you need a bit of luck, things to fall your way. You get an off shooting night and you run into a Teddy Whatever. We may be great, even better than last year overall but…. Our 5 production is not the same and so far the lack of Sanogo hasn’t hurt but it could.
The way March Madness works, and we’ve seen it so often, the upsets. I can’t say that we’re going to get this #6 done for sure. I love this team and I hope that’s not too negative.
I don’t remember over 2 seasons UCONN being quite this good or the expectations of our fans being this high.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
National title or bust. With realignment swirling and the P2 coordinating, we need every reason possible for those in charge to keep us playing in the highest tier of basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom