Defensive Coordinator | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Defensive Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
why not both? With this being kinda "hush hush" here's hoping it's not only a splash hire, but the kind that will open eyes (recruits eyes)...
We can't afford both!

Reaction Score
It’s too late to bring in much talent for next year. We need scheme to win this year.

Sounds like a recruiting problem.

The scheme isn’t changing. Good luck finding a scheme mastermind that doesn’t want to bring in “his guys”.

Jim Mora is either going to hire a retread figurehead to run the system as is.

Or he will promote from within or bring in a young hard charging recruiter who will operate the system as is.

I hope we get the young recruiter instead of some old NFL burnout.

Reaction Score
Mora's DCs over the years:

With the Falcons:
Ed Donatell (last was DC of the Vikings in 2022)

With the Seahawks:
Gus Bradley (currently DC for the Colts)

With UCLA:
Lou Spanos (currently a defensive analyst at Ole Miss)
Jeff Ulbrich (DC for the Jets)
Tom Bradley (most recently DB coach for the Steelers)

Donatell and Tom Bradley are both retirement age. Spanos is probably available, lol. Mora does have a good track record of hiring strong DCs.
bruhh after all this, if we hire spanos as DC i'm done lol

Reaction Score
Chomping at the bit on our new DC will be... My glass half full mindsight says we make a splash here... Somebody that's done it before and can get us rolling on that side of the ball even more... Our D hasn't been the worst the past few years ( our O needs to help more )... but, as long as we're looking to improve the team it makes things exciting... I just don't see this program wilting... investments are now in place (seem entrenched now..even better)

Reaction Score
Louuuuuuu
Forget Lou, nice guy but too old. We need a young and hungry DC that can recruit, same for the OC after Charlton is canned. If Benedict and Mora get desperate, maybe reach out to Todd Orlando and Joe Morehead, they’re older but at least they can recruit, and both are familiar with the program. What’s TJ Weist doing now?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Forget Lou, nice guy but too old. We need a young and hungry DC that can recruit, same for the OC after Charlton is canned. If Benedict and Mora get desperate, maybe reach out to Todd Orlando and Joe Morehead, they’re older but at least they can recruit, and both are familiar with the program. What’s TJ Weist doing now?
Moorhead is head coach at Akron and Weist is getting ready to coach in AFC Championship game.

I have no idea why Todd Orlando would leave USF to come here.

Reaction Score
Man. There are guys out there who never coached at UConn that can come in and get the job done. Also i wouldn't hold my breath on Mora canning Charlton anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Man. There are guys out there who never coached at UConn that can come in and get the job done. Also i wouldn't hold my breath on Mora canning Charlton anytime soon.
They are not paying for two OCs Geez

Reaction Score
Chomping at the bit on our new DC will be... My glass half full mindsight says we make a splash here... Somebody that's done it before and can get us rolling on that side of the ball even more... Our D hasn't been the worst the past few years ( our O needs to help more )... but, as long as we're looking to improve the team it makes things exciting... I just don't see this program wilting... investments are now in place (seem entrenched now..even better)
I wonder if the holdup may be prospective hires want control over their assistants.

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder if some of y'all are just blissfully ignorant or are just trying to say dumb things to spur on the conversation.

1706122218743.jpeg

Reaction Score
If you pay the DC $500k which is what Charlton makes, you can hire a current a G5 DC with the exception of some teams which pay relatively close to that. (Orlando makes $425k at USF.) P5 DCs are out, but you could hire a P5 position coach who would probably take a pay cut for the opportunity to run their own defense. Or, you can hire a past P5 DC who needs a job for a year or two. Or, promote from within, save some cash and hire an up and coming recruiter to be a position coach as a replacement for the promoted guy.

Reaction Score
If you pay the DC $500k which is what Charlton makes, you can hire a current a G5 DC with the exception of some teams which pay relatively close to that. (Orlando makes $425k at USF.) P5 DCs are out, but you could hire a P5 position coach who would probably take a pay cut for the opportunity to run their own defense. Or, you can hire a past P5 DC who needs a job for a year or two. Or, promote from within, save some cash and hire an up and coming recruiter to be a position coach as a replacement for the promoted guy.
If you hire from within it would make sense to promote again. Say it's mclendon or siriki, promote Mike Ryan and fill his analyst spot. But there are lots of great G5 DCs that UConn could bring in. It's all about fit with what's in place.

Reaction Score
I want a 3-3-5 guy. We set records running that D.
With the right personnel, yes... but if we have a bunch like what we had when Edsall 2.0 went that route, it won't be a fun watch whatsoever

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Tbf WVU's defense was running this with the big run in the mid 2000's with Rich Rod. Their defense was pretty damn good.
Iowa State and Oklahoma State both run it. We can debate its merits.

What we can’t debate is that Billy Crocker is the head coach of D III Eastern University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom