Defense!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Defense!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Responding to VAUConnFan, for what it's worth, Uconn was able to effectively neutralize Chiney Ogwumike, a truly great player, the last 3 times they played Stanford. In 2012 Chiney was 6-22 for 18 p0ints, the first game last year she was a non-factor and in the semis Chiney only scored 15 points. This seems like a particularly silly discussion. One of the great strengths of Uconn in the past has been their defense against the other team's star players. Unfortunately, we didn't see that on Monday. Hopefully, Geno can right the ship.

It is not a silly discussion if many here are attributing a lack of defense to UConn's loss on Monday.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
i'm the only one screaming this

But Moriah may not be 100%
I've never known her to disappear like she has for the first half against UCDavis and virtually the entire Stanford game.
People forget that we never know when kids aren't feeling 100% and Geno would never allow that to be an excuse.

Reaction Score
My question to you that you refuse to answer, which requires no statistics, is why you are a UConn fan. It is simple. If you refuse to answer it or cannot without choking on it, that's okay VAU. Your silent invocation of the 5th is okay, though transparent. Your sophistic "unsupported negativity Wow" to the contrary notwithstanding: What makes you a UCONN fan? Take all the time you need. After all, it is what this forum is all about.

Then, I will cut and paste my original response:
UConn has had some compelling basketball players over the years that have provided many pleasurable moments to a lifelong basketball fan who would like nothing more than to see the women's game develop and grow.

For me, the game is about great players and UConn has had a ton of them, but it only took a few seconds observation to see the potential greatness of Nykesha Sales, Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore; Greatness that was fully realized.
I also like UConn's uptempo style of play; Push it and shoot it.
I fully support Coach Auriemma's decision to set up Ms Sales record breaking basket. I also like how he handled the media backlash.
The way Coach Auriemma stood by, supported, and comforted Diana Taurasi after her horrendous performance against Notre Dame is what coaching is all about. Reminds me of how John Thompson put his arms around Fred Brown in the 1982 championship game against North Carolina.

Fact is, though, until you asked I had never given a thought as to why I am a UConn fan. I am also a Mets fan, a Cowboys fan, a Michigan fan, A USC(Southern Cal) fan, a Tiger Woods fan, a national league baseball fan, a Lakers fan, prefer NFC to AFC; All without ever giving a thought as to why. I hate Notre Dame with a passion for reasons personally well known dating back to the 1966 game against Michigan State when they went for the tie and was still declared national champion. Despite this, I was a huge Austin Carr fan. I became a huge fan of St. John's in the 60's because they had two players from the neighborhood, Joe DePre and Richie Gilkes. Yet, when Dennis DuVal went to Syracuse, my allegiance did not follow. Is there really an easy explanation for why we become fans of and pledge allegiance to certain teams?; Geography, alumni, legacies, players, coaches, cities, towns, parents, friends, and other influences. I fully support Coach Stringer because she is a pioneer, but cannot say that I am a Rutgers fan. Nor was I a fan of her Iowa Hawkeyes. But, was rooting hard for her Cheney State team in the first women's NCAA Championship game. I like basketball in general and would like to see the women's game gain its deserved measure of stature.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Then, I will cut and paste my original response:
UConn has had some compelling basketball players over the years that have provided many pleasurable moments to a lifelong basketball fan who would like nothing more than to see the women's game develop and grow.

For me, the game is about great players and UConn has had a ton of them, but it only took a few seconds observation to see the potential greatness of Nykesha Sales, Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore; Greatness that was fully realized.
I also like UConn's uptempo style of play; Push it and shoot it.
I fully support Coach Auriemma's decision to set up Ms Sales record breaking basket. I also like how he handled the media backlash.
The way Coach Auriemma stood by, supported, and comforted Diana Taurasi after her horrendous performance against Notre Dame is what coaching is all about. Reminds me of how John Thompson put his arms around Fred Brown in the 1982 championship game against North Carolina.

Fact is, though, until you asked I had never given a thought as to why I am a UConn fan. I am also a Mets fan, a Cowboys fan, a Michigan fan, A USC(Southern Cal) fan, a Tiger Woods fan, a national league baseball fan, a Lakers fan, prefer NFC to AFC; All without ever giving a thought as to why. I hate Notre Dame with a passion for reasons personally well known dating back to the 1966 game against Michigan State when they went for the tie and was still declared national champion. Despite this, I was a huge Austin Carr fan. I became a huge fan of St. John's in the 60's because they had two players from the neighborhood, Joe DePre and Richie Gilkes. Yet, when Dennis DuVal went to Syracuse, my allegiance did not follow. Is there really an easy explanation for why we become fans of and pledge allegiance to certain teams?; Geography, alumni, legacies, players, coaches, cities, towns, parents, friends, and other influences. I fully support Coach Stringer because she is a pioneer, but cannot say that I am a Rutgers fan. Nor was I a fan of her Iowa Hawkeyes. But, was rooting hard for her Cheney State team in the first women's NCAA Championship game. I like basketball in general and would like to see the women's game gain its deserved measure of stature.

Well, I don't know where the cut and paste ends in your post, but none of it appears on my laptop screen any post by you in this thread. May be a cyber oops. But nothing you posted as your reply demonstrates fandom ... merely winners follower, save in the case of the Lakers of late. If you claim fandom for them, I believe you are a fan of them! When a certain money draining guard/small forward departs maybe they can start getting relevant again. Anyway, live long and prosper with Coach Stringer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if Stanford spike the water or something...
I mean Tara said she wsa trying something different........:eek:

Reaction Score
Since threads tend to die relatively quick deaths, an effort will be made to bring a few facts and stats forward. The UConn website archives only go back to 2001 so that will be the starting point.

The 2002 State Farm/WBCA All Americans(Listed in their entirety in case an astute Boneyarder catches a missed opponent):
2001 Svetlana Abrosimova, Connecticut
Tamika Catchings, Tennessee
Stacey Dales, Oklahoma
Katie Douglas, Purdue
Marie Ferdinand, Louisiana State
Kelly Miller, Georgia
Ruth Riley, Notre Dame
Georgia Schweitzer, Duke
Jackie Stiles, Southwest Missouri State
LaToya Thomas, Mississippi State

In the 2000-2001 season, UConn played teams with three of the listed All Americans; Kelly Miller, Tamika Catchings, and Ruth Riley:

In a 99-70 UConn victory, Kelly Miller posted the following:
4-11 FGs, 1-3 3pt FGs, 3-4 FTs, 3 rebs, 6 assists, 12 total points

Tamika Catchings in an 81-76 UConn victory posted these numbers:
4-11 FGs, 1-6 3pt FGs, 8-10 FTs, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 17 points
Does anyone recall why Svetlana only played 11 minutes in this game?
Tennessee and UConn played each other twice that year, but Catchings tore her ACL and did not play in Tennessee's 92-88 victory; One of the all time great WCBB games. I am hard pressed to think of a better one; back and forth; nailbiting; great play on both sides.

Ruth Riley and Notre Dame met three times that season:
In the 92-76 Notre Dame victory:
8-11 FGs, 13-13 FTs, 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 29 total points
In the 78-76 Bird at the wire UConn triumph:
8-13 FGs, 7-10 FTs, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 23 points
The national semifinal went Notre Dame's way 90-75:
6-13 FGs, 6-10 FTs, 7 rebounds, 0 assists, 18 points

It might be a while before 2002 can be posted.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
2002 could take a long while VAU. :rolleyes: Proverbs 26:4 and you: perfect together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom