Defense(predictions) | The Boneyard

Defense(predictions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quick note: There will be 12 starters listed, with Nickel being included as well as 4 DL, 3 LB, 4 DB because we spend so much time in the nickel

DL
DE - Jesse Joseph, Ted Jennings
DT - Shamar Stephen, BJ McBryde
DT - Ryan Wirth, Angelo Pruitt
DE/OLB - Trevardo, Jonathan Louis

Notes:Note on all DL : We just lost two 4 year starters @ DT, and I have zero reservations about our Depth. I really like 8-9 guys on this unit, and we can really rotate bodies. I feel like we are following the NY GIANTS(world champions, no big deal) lead and really investing in big numbers on the DLine.

LBs
OLB - Sio Moore, Andrew Opoku
MLB - Yawin Smallwood, Marquise Vann
OLB - Ryan Donohue, Jefferson Ashiru

Notes:I think you see three packages with this group. Base 4-3 is listed above. Base 3-4 will have Donohue slide to the middle and Ashiru/Opoku as Rush LB. Nickel/Dime will include Sio, Opoku, Ashiru to play in space and rush the QB. So much flexibility and depth this year.

DBs
CB - Dwayne Gratz, Tyree Clark
S - TyMeer Brown, Gilbert StLouis
S - Byron Jones, Andrew Adams
CB - Blidi Wreh-Wilson, David Stephenson
Nickel - Taylor Mack, Tyree Clark

Notes: This is the first time in years that I have looked at our DBs and said: "hey, these guys could be really, really good. Our CBs will be rock solid, and if Blidi stays healthy we will have a great deal of swag. However, the biggest strides last years team made was our Playmaking safeties. Byron is a straight up athlete, and TyMeer has a great feel. Add in Taylor Mack taking over for Gary Wil(get)burn(ed), and this will be a really upgraded unit.

Overall, this defense could be sick. We now have a full year in Don Browns system, which means we should see lower levels of busted assignments that killed us last year. We have a legit playmaker on all three levels with Trevardo, Sio, and Blidi on the team. I think we will see modest improvement overall with much of that spearheaded by our DBs giving up fewer explosive plays.

What you guys think?

Reaction Score
I would insert Jory Johnson ahead of Opoku. I don't think Jory had a great year last year, but Opoku is now on his 3rd position in 3 years (S, TE, LB).

Although I have no basis what so ever for this opinion, Wilbert Lee will be on the 2 deep this year.

Reaction Score
Remember Jory Johnson's a SR too.. He'll be playing with something to prove I'm sure... Wouldn't completely count him out as a starter... Also... We'll be playing a little 3-4 so it wouldn't surprise me to see Sio, Yawan, Ryan, and Jory on the field at the same time...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Nice job, bmay. I'm not quite as sold as you are on the defensive line, but we absolutely have some playmakers in Trevardo and JJ. Jennings seemed to tail off during the course of the season, not sure if that was injuries, competition or something else - but I hope he can step up this season. I'm intrigued by McBryde -it seems like the staff tried to keep him at DE as long as possible, but he had too much size (which makes me think/hope he's pretty agile). I think Smallwood will grow this season - seemed like he'd get way out of position and then make a huge play next time around. He just needs to get more consistent. I think we'll be stacked at LB just based on the hype for Ashiru/Vann.

Reaction Score
Losing an all american caliber D Tackle and an all conference calendar D Tackle would ordinarily give me cause for concern, but there was solid players behind Reyes and Martin in Wirth and Stephens. The key is finding someone who can step up to provide depth behind them. Jesse Joseph is a year removed from injury, and Trevardo is a freak. Teddy Jennings is one of my favorite Huskies as he goes all out until the whistle. I am not worried at all about the DL.

Linebacker play was not good last year. Many would cite the secondary as the weak link for UCONN last year, but look no further than the LB corps. Two players I am really excited about are Vann and Donohue. Vann's high school film showed a kid who played with anger. And from everything I have read, he has done nothing to suggest he won't play quite a bit. Donohue as well. I think Smallwood was the most consistent linebacker last year, and that says something as he was a freshman. He was also extremely underutilized as a blitzer. Sio Moore has to get more consistent. He did not have a great year. Looked lost in pass coverage and was in the wrong spot in the running game many times. For every hit that leveled an opposing player, he missed a tackle. Jory Johnson was average and also struggled mightily in pass coverage.

Secondary has talent, and unproven depth. I think Jones can play S or CB well. His speed is an asset at either position. Ty Meer Brown brings great speed and is not afraid to come up and stick someone. He definitely had his hiccups in coverage, but that will improve with experience.

I feel really good about the defense this year. With improved linebacker play, they can be special.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My guess is that Trevardo will be a hybrid DE/LB for switching between a 3-4 & 4-3 and Opoku will be his backup.

Starters/backups:

DE Joseph/Jennings DT-NT Stephen/Wirth DT-DE McBryde/Pruitt

OLB Sio/Ashiru MLB-ILB Smallwood/Vann ILB-OLB Donohue/Jory

CB Gratz/Mack CB Blidi/Clark FS B Jones/St Louis SS TyMeer/Lee

The front four will play 60%/40% starters/second team
The LB's (not including the DE hybrid) will be 80%/20% starters/second team
The secondary (shy of nickle packages) will be 95%/5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom