Deep South Classic | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Deep South Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jesse Helms gave NC a deep Southie flavor. Times have changed. With the influx of industry and research to NC, the state is not the same in character as it used to be.

Lord, no it isn't the same state. Most of our "country" areas around Wake County/Raleigh area are gone. I was born and raised here. Never in my life would I have imagine that I would have a Sheetz next door to my house -- our property used to be a huge farmland but sadly it's all gone. And the accents have all changed, as well. Don't get me wrong, I still love my homestate (sometimes I wonder why) and respect my heritage, since my ancestors gave the land for what is now Raleigh -- but the culture is not the same at all. Long live the good 'ole days!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Mescarlett, as a still-new poster, you might not even know you have an inbox. Just letting you know it exists, and there's something in it.

Reaction Score
I drive all over New England myself. When I was dating, I met women from NYC, Providence, Boston, and all points in between. No such thing as a long drive in Connecticut. I used to live in Texas- now, THEN you have some long drives to get anywhere other than where you live!

Mescarlett, you should try to come up early in the season, like for the Stanford game in Hartford. You won't have to do much driving, and it most likely won't be snowing yet. If it is, CT does a good job of plowing the roads quickly. We're used to it up here.
Very true about Texas,i went from Kissimmee,FL to Fort Worth, TX,and i thought FL was long but the LA border to Fort Worth,seemed like forever.I cannot imagine spending 3 or so days driving across Texas to go from one side to the other!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We missed our chance at "unfair" with EDD. Let's succeed the second time around. :)

400px-How-about-no.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Mescarlett - lovely posts and glad you have joined up.
Agree we are blessed with CD - Geno is great (and a blessing as well) but I do not think there is a better second in command of any BB team in college or the pros, men's or women's.
As for that Deep South issue - I am surprised with my fellow boneyarders most of whom were born and bred in NE (or at least I have always assumed so.) I am an original Storrsite and as every true Connecticut resident knows, The South begins somewhere around the Rutgers campus and runs on for what seems like forever. By the time you cross the Delaware river you are well and truly in the Middle South and once you cross the Potomac that Deep South feeling descends like a heavy fog.
Of course when I was living in NYC for a little while, 12 Ave seemed like the midwest to me and I used Rutgers campus as the demarcation line for the West Coast.

As you can see from my user name I am now living in the Southern Hemisphere, not too far from Antarctica.

And now back to the subject matter - enjoyed visiting you blog - and totally agree re Kim. I find her fashion sense a blast as it veers from the sublime to that other place of which you refer.

Reaction Score
Sitting watching A'ja Wilson. Hasn't scored yet but obvious what she can do and her talent. Long runs well, starting 5 are all nice. Okay she just scored rebound dribbled up the floor through traffic dished then got it back on an alley oop. Team up 10-3. Kind of unfair. Entire starting 5 subbing out 5 minutes into the game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
893 miles across Texas? That's like a 10 hour drive without the I-95 traffic in CT. Nothing, I tell you, nothing.

Reaction Score
They are back in, took 2 dribbes from half court aroumd a defender for a layup. No in the post drop step and drops the girl for an offensive foul. Team up 18-10

Reaction Score
Like how she gets the rebound from the center positio. And becomes the point in transition. Missed an alley oop. Just got back to back assists.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So A'ja is playing in the paint? Doesn't she label herself a guard and wants to play the perimeter strictly in college? Or has she finally realized she is destined for the paint?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Like how she gets the rebound from the center positio. And becomes the point in transition. Missed an alley oop. Just got back to back assists.
Thanks for running commentary!

Reaction Score
Mescarlett - lovely posts and glad you have joined up.
Agree we are blessed with CD - Geno is great (and a blessing as well) but I do not think there is a better second in command of any BB team in college or the pros, men's or women's.
As for that Deep South issue - I am surprised with my fellow boneyarders most of whom were born and bred in NE (or at least I have always assumed so.) I am an original Storrsite and as every true Connecticut resident knows, The South begins somewhere around the Rutgers campus and runs on for what seems like forever. By the time you cross the Delaware river you are well and truly in the Middle South and once you cross the Potomac that Deep South feeling descends like a heavy fog.
Of course when I was living in NYC for a little while, 12 Ave seemed like the midwest to me and I used Rutgers campus as the demarcation line for the West Coast.

As you can see from my user name I am now living in the Southern Hemisphere, not too far from Antarctica.

And now back to the subject matter - enjoyed visiting you blog - and totally agree re Kim. I find her fashion sense a blast as it veers from the sublime to that other place of which you refer.

Thanks for checking out the blog! That's so funny about your description of the South. I don't think many of us would even remotely consider adding New Jersey into our classification. Chris Dailey may be one of the few good things that I like that has come out of New Jersey (if you are from NJ, I apologize!) I've been up to CT before (Mystic, Bridgeport -- basically drove I-95 the whole state) ... it is very beautiful up in the clear blue yonder, haha!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mescarlett, you should try to come up early in the season, like for the Stanford game in Hartford. You won't have to do much driving.
Geez, it's been a while since I've seen one Boneyarder ask another out on a date, in full view of everyone. :)

Ok, I'm jealous.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hey, in my single days, I'd totally ask someone out in front of God and everyone. No shame in my game!
I'm impressed. Sorry about the thread hijacking. :)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Geez, it's been a while since I've seen one Boneyarder ask another out on a date, in full view of everyone. :)

Ok, I'm jealous.

The timing is so odd, I just have to mention - I got an email from a Boneyarder today, agreeing to be my date. Not my wife, so don't tell anyone. I was invited to the Governors Mansion, and my wife wasn't interested.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The timing is so odd, I just have to mention - I got an email from a Boneyarder today, agreeing to be my date. Not my wife, so don't tell anyone. I was invited to the Governors Mansion, and my wife wasn't interested.
Match.com has nothing on the Boneyard. :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Starting to sound like ancient Pompei around here.
Didn't realize you were old enough to have been in ancient Pompei, Br'er Bear. I'll bet they taught you some new words when ol' Vesuvius went off, huh? Now THAT was a blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom