Deep South Classic | The Boneyard

Deep South Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, today is the start of the Deep South Classic. I will be heading down as soon as I get out of work and taking in as many of the evening games that I can. I will be sure to get to A'ja Wilson's game at 7:40pm. Y'all take a look at the schedule/teams and let me know of any others you want me to check out in particular and I will do what I can.

As a good little Southerner, who loves to be nosey and check out everything, I took a ride through town last night scouting out everything. Saw a large number of basketball players and teams walking around downtown. I even ventured over to the hotel where the coaches are staying -- sadly, I didn't see anything exciting there, haha! Will do my best to give y'all some updates; but I just pray I don't get overwhelmed considering how much I love basketball, I may lose track of what I am there for, kidding!

Reaction Score
Thanks, guys!! You are the best.

I've got my notebook handy, as well as my UConn jacket :) Plus I've got my camera -- I am ready to roll! Now hurry up time clock -- I should've taken the day off. If y'all happen to hear which UConn staff member is here in Raleigh, please let me know!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks, guys!! You are the best.

I've got my notebook handy, as well as my UConn jacket :) Plus I've got my camera -- I am ready to roll! Now hurry up time clock -- I should've taken the day off. If y'all happen to hear which UConn staff member is here in Raleigh, please let me know!

Given that Wilson will be on the court, I think Geno will be there for part of the weekend. Another coach or 2 may be there as well, but I'd expect to see Geno at some point.

Reaction Score
I have a source on the inside at the Deep South Classic who has told me that coaches from UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Penn State, Missouri and Jeff Walz from Louisville have all been spotted at one court -- hmm wonder who that could be! We all know it's probably A'ja's court ... but no one has spotted anyone from UConn yet...I will be there in about two hours

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have a source on the inside at the Deep South Classic who has told me that coaches from UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Penn State, Missouri and Jeff Walz from Louisville have all been spotted at one court -- hmm wonder who that could be! We all know it's probably A'ja's court ... but no one has spotted anyone from UConn yet...I will be there in about two hours

I doubt they are all looking at A'ja... Penn State ? Syracuse? Missouri? I would guess its someone else... perhaps someone from the Midwest.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As an aside, is North Carolina really the Deep South? I think of the Deep South as Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, the parts of Georgia that aren't the Atlanta metro, the Florida Panhandle, and swaths of Tennessee.

Reaction Score
As an aside, is North Carolina really the Deep South? I think of the Deep South as Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, the parts of Georgia that aren't the Atlanta metro, the Florida Panhandle, and swaths of Tennessee.

As a native of North Carolina, I agree, I always thought we were "Southerners" but usually more "Mid-Atlantic" is what I consider us. I agree when I think of "Deep South" I have always thought of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana ...never really included us!

Reaction Score
I doubt they are all looking at A'ja... Penn State ? Syracuse? Missouri? I would guess its someone else... perhaps someone from the Midwest.

That is true b/c I just saw on A'ja's twitter that she has just crossed over in to NC -- which makes no sense b/c her team was scheduled to play at 1:50pm. And now we have severe weather moving in to the area, this could be a long night! Maybe Geno can come on in and protect me, hahaha totally just kidding!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That is true b/c I just saw on A'ja's twitter that she has just crossed over in to NC -- which makes no sense b/c her team was scheduled to play at 1:50pm. And now we have severe weather moving in to the area, this could be a long night! Maybe Geno can come on in and protect me, hahaha totally just kidding!

The worst of the weather is coming your way.... one line is coming through Guilford County right now... and another line is about to come through Winston as I type. Hope it passes through quickly... I got some dinner to pick up this evening.

Reaction Score
UMD has head coach and hubby looking at A'ja, L'ville has head and asst, UNC has head and 2 asst. Lot of coaches watching DeShields old team AOT

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey is in the house and Geno is in town too
The dynamic recruiting duo!

Getting A'Ja in this class would be almost unfair. The 2014-15 team would be silly good. It will be without her. Can't imagine how good it would be with her.

Reactions: HGN

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As a native of North Carolina, I agree, I always thought we were "Southerners" but usually more "Mid-Atlantic" is what I consider us. I agree when I think of "Deep South" I have always thought of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana ...never really included us!
Glad I have not lost my mind. :)

Reaction Score
Well, day one is in the books!

This year's Deep South Classic was set up entirely different that in prior years as I was told by numerous coaches this year. It was also very difficult to follow -- as you can imagine 18 games being played simultaneousl can cause a big stir.

Jeff Walz' appearance in the building seemed to cause a ton of stir. Geno was not present though a source of mine did confirm he had three hotel rooms reserved at a separate hotel from where all the other college coaches were staying. I saw coaches/representatives from UNC (Sylvia included, boo), Duke, Iowa State, Georgia, Penn State, Wisconsin, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, LSU, Boston College, etc. ... quite a few smaller schools, as well ... and of course, the lovely Chris Dailey was present herself (which nearly caused this North Carolina girl to have a cow -- especially since she had just sent me a personal note in the mail less than a month ago!)

With the compactness of the games, it was difficult to navigate around; but I did take in a variety of games and saw quite a bit talent. Maryland was viewing different games than UNC and Louisville, I will have to look at my notes to see if I can recall the team names.

Surprisingly, there were not a lot of people watching A'ja's game. Sadly, their game ended very early on in the second half when an opposing player went down with a knee injury. I am assuming they forfeited the game because it ended after that. UNC, Maryland, Tennessee, Louisville were all watching A'ja play. Chris Dailey stood with me for a good part of the first half of the game, as well. (I was on cloud nine to say the least!)

The highlight of the 6pm game was when we had a partial power outage in the convention center thanks to some very nasty weather that was brewing. Those who weren't from NC had no idea what was happening (they hadn't looked at the weather) and an eerie silence filled the center; but they kept playing with partial lighting. CD came over to me rather rattled wanting to know if I knew what happened -- I assured her it was okay; it was just the storms -- to which she asked me for a history lesson on the state of NC, haha! I had met her very, very briefly two years ago after they played Duke here; ironically, she remembered me. I was very scared or intimiated of her then; but wow, she took 15-20 minutes of her hectic schedule to just talk to me about anything and everything. What an amazing lady she is!

CD left very quickly to head to Norfolk for Boo Williams -- she said it was too far to drive (only three hours but that's when I gave her a lesson on the North vs. the South, haha!); so she was hitching a flight with some other coaches (you can guess who!). She said that Geno was not in town yet but if he came, he would be there on Sunday. So my question would be, why would they have three rooms reserved in his name when it appears no one will use them?

So not much to report -- I tried to take in as many games as I could. A'ja looked very impressive. Her height I am still trying to figure but I feel she is definitely taller than CD (who I believe is around 6'1" or 6'2") so I would say A'ja is probably 6'4" but I could be off with that. I really am bummed we didn't get to see her play a full game -- but we shall see!

Either way, this NC girl is a happy camper because Chris Dailey earned some massive brownie points in my book twice in less than a month now. It's ashame more coaches can't be like her!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Chris and Geno have always been extremely friendly and accommodating. I've met both of them and spent an entire basketball game chatting with Geno with my brother when he was out scouting Charde. The coaches practice what they preach when it comes to being nice to fans...

Reaction Score
Great write up.

CD is a treasure.

She was so cute when I told her how I was too scared of her to come say hello two years ago -- she was like "aww why on earth were you even scared of me!?" She is a jewel for sure. May she never leave UConn, but if she does, we will gladly accept her in NC. I could use a new shopping buddy. I only wish she was able to stay in town a bit longer. I was just really surprised how down-to-earth she was; A'ja's game was going on, yet she was talking to me the whole time -- that blew me away! Sylvia doesn't even hardly speak to people -- but let me say this, CD was impressed I had a UConn jacket and after everyone saw us chatting, Brenda Frese and several others came over to me to say hello -- hahaha, suckers!! jkjk

CD told me I needed to come up to Storrs for a game -- so I will see what I can do to do just that!

Reaction Score
Chris and Geno have always been extremely friendly and accommodating. I've met both of them and spent an entire basketball game chatting with Geno with my brother when he was out scouting Charde. The coaches practice what they preach when it comes to being nice to fans...

That is so true! I was blown away by her generosity! She really isn't scary after all -- her eyes though can read straight thru you it feels, haha! I just about freaked out when she said "you look really familiar to me" -- how the heck can she remember someone she met briefly two years ago. Maybe she's been reading my blog, whoops, haha!

Reaction Score
And while we are on this subject, let me just tell you guys ... for many, many, many years, I was a UConn hater. I grew up in NC -- so I have NC State, Duke and UNC (though I still don't like them!); but I also grew up a Tennessee fan -- so being a TN fan, it was taught to me from a young age that you hate Geno and you hate UConn. And hated them, I did. The only person I never hated was CD, which is funny! But finally I grew up and I realized, you know what who cares if Pat's records are broke. Records are meant to be broken. UConn isn't going to replace Tennessee nor Pat and the impact TN has had in WBB; rather UConn is just creating their own impact for the sport.

So, to all you UConn fans, I must apologize. CD knows now I used to be a UConn hater; she was shoked to see I had a team jacket and said I had grown up, haha! I apologize to being hated towards you guys for so many years. I have come to love and adore UConn and yes, even Geno, haha! I owe a lot of that to CD for helping to change my mind, even if it did start with fashion (you'll have to see my blog posts to understand that).

She knows I'm not a coach and she told me ten times I was crazy if I loved basketball that much to come to a Deep South Classic. But I always wanted to play ball for Kay Yow growing up; she was my hero. I'm a pretty good height and used to do alright in the sport. Sadly, I had a severe shoulder surgery when I was very young and that ruined my shooting shoulder. So, I never was able to play. So it's my passion now to promote the sport and support it. Maybe that's why I attended 29 games last season and in three different states (again, CD said I was nuts, ha!) One of these days, I want to make it up to UConn -- I've been to the state of CT but never during bball season -- it's too cold and well I can't drive in snow. So one of these days, I will come visit some of y'all. But I wanted to apologize and thank you for welcoming into the family. Over the past few months, I have come to realize that you guys are truly some of the nicest and kindest fans I have ever met. I've been to Texas, Tennessee, Baylor, UNC, Duke, am a season passholder for NC State -- I've been many other places; but none of their fans compare to you guys! You are all very kind-hearted and that really has impressed me.

Sorry for the biography, but I just wanted to let you know that people are being converted, ha! Hope to see y'all soon in UConn or down here in North Carolina! Bring CD back, we've got a Nordstrom, ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom