Deep chest cough? | The Boneyard

Deep chest cough?

Reaction Score
I've had a deep chest cough for a few days. Just assumed it would go away and it seems to be getting worse. I'll I've used is peppermint essential oil. Is Mucinex the best to break up the mucus?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes. I suffered with this in the spring. Lasted weeks. I got antibiotics eventually. Mucinex is very helpful. Talked to several others who had a similar illness.

pj

Reaction Score
Extra vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin K2 (MK-7), iodine/seaweed/seafood.

Reaction Score
I’ve had amazing success with ClearLungs Extra Stregnth in the past. I think it’s an old Chinese remedy but it works.

Reaction Score
Almost every other year I get a chest infection that is a deep chest cough. Anti-biotics clear it up in a couple days if that's the case. Would go see a doc and get them to check if it's that.

Reaction Score
Over 80% of acute respiratory infections are viral...antibiotics will have no benefit. Chances are that your body ended the infection, not the antibiotics.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Almost every other year I get a chest infection that is a deep chest cough. Anti-biotics clear it up in a couple days if that's the case. Would go see a doc and get them to check if it's that.
Agree. If it is bacterial (infection) you will need a doc to get the right anti-biotic. I had an infection which led to bronchitis which led to an asthmatic attack. You could also potentially get pneumonia.

Oftentimes (but not always) when there are bacterial infections going around the docs find out because they are in the loop.

Reaction Score
Herbal teas that are medicinal like Breathe Easy really help with throat and chest problems.. Echinecea-based teas are also very effective.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree. If it is bacterial (infection) you will need a doc to get the right anti-biotic. I had an infection which led to bronchitis which led to an asthmatic attack. You could also potentially get pneumonia.

Oftentimes (but not always) when there are bacterial infections going around the docs find out because they are in the loop.
Yep. That's what I did. If you cough isn't going away after 4-5 days, go in. It may still be viral, and they really don't know. But if it is bacterial, at least they can fix that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I hear deep chest cough and think head to a doctor, urgent care or ER.

That being said I travel a bunch for work and between planes, trains, automobiles, hotels, etc with all th people from all over the world, I always travel with handi wipes, ricola cough drops and Mucinex.

Every adult should have a good working knowledge of their body and what is normal and what is not. For me, if Mucinex can't clear it up, I'm heading to a professional.

Reaction Score

If your doctor prescribes based on the results of a lab test (24 hours to 36 hours) then that is proper. Unfortunately, many physicians prescribe empirically as a "just in case" mechanism...which leads to over prescribing antibiotics and antibiotic resistance.

I am not a doctor, but worked with an infectious disease physician helping hospitals and health systems implement antibiotic stewardship programs.

Reaction Score
You mean the Boneyard isn't better than a doctor? :)
I think we should start marketing a BY cure-all that is a combination of Peppermint essential oils, manuka honey, and chicken soup with escarole. We could make millions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you haven't seen a doctor you should do so soon. It could be a respiratory infection, which is something you don't want to play around with. Even if it's something as common as strep it could lead to complications if not addressed quickly.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Could be RSV. I got it last year and the cough was worse than the common cold. This year I got vaccinated for it.

Reaction Score
I think we should start marketing a BY cure-all that is a combination of Peppermint essential oils, manuka honey, and chicken soup with escarole. We could make millions.

Good manuka honey isn’t cheap. It’s around $35-40 for a small jar.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If your doctor prescribes based on the results of a lab test (24 hours to 36 hours) then that is proper. Unfortunately, many physicians prescribe empirically as a "just in case" mechanism...which leads to over prescribing antibiotics and antibiotic resistance.

I am not a doctor, but worked with an infectious disease physician helping hospitals and health systems implement antibiotic stewardship programs.
I don't know any that do the test routinely. But what most have stopped doing is prescribing the good stuff unless they know it is bacterial. I'm 100% on board with antibiotic resistance as a concern, but Amoxicillin isn't an issue. The super-bugs already blow past that,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom